Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 177
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I attended the developer event last night and to make a long story short, left very disappointed (and early).

    The atmosphere was desperation and they tried playing with our emotions. Essentially, they portrayed a scenario that webOS wouldn't succeed without us (the developers); this came directly from Rubinstein.

    They're trying to make webOS sound appealing to developers by claiming that webOS will be available on hundreds of millions devices, as they're going to soon be pushing webOS to PC's (and then they showed a little slide indicating that during the last 60 seconds HP had shipped over 120 PCs). My personal belief on this is, webOS needs to be successful on their mobile devices before it will ever be successful on the PC.

    The actual developer presentation was VERY short, only 30 minutes and not much explained or show-cased which indicated something to me: it's not very far along. The one example he did try showing, which was of a map widget, he began to scroll but quickly stopped as it was VERY laggy; I noticed it and I'm sure many others did too, even though it was very quick.

    They admitted to that the new framework was only in alpha stage, which makes sense and why the new devices probably aren't coming for months: software.

    I've been trying to tell everyone here that for a while now, but everyone was almost positive that it was ready to ship. THERE'S NOT EVEN A PUBLIC SDK AVAILABLE YET, how could it be close?

    The Veer and Pre 3 actually look and feel nice, albeit still a bit slow (for me anyways, but I'm spoiled by the quickness of other devices so my standards are high). The TouchPad looks and feels cheap, almost as if it was designed by Fisher-Price.

    Any questions, let me know. I stuck around for about an hour and talked to a few people.
    This is an obvious case of "spin".

    I'm sure had Ruby said that the devices didn't need developers for their success, you'd have been even more scornful of the response. Of course WebOS won't succeed without the developers.

    Good to know that's your personal belief (about the requirement of WebOS being successful on its own first), but I'm glad they don't have that belief. I think any OS will be more popular as it's on a more diverse group of devices. I'm personally thrilled with the ID of WebOS on PCs and hope it works out for them (though wouldn't guarantee its success). But that brings up the question - why would that bother you. If availability on other devices doesn't help, it certainly won't hurt.

    And you're misconstruing the whole "not coming for months". Ruby said "early Spring" on the Veer.

    A new device can ship with in-house apps only. I certainly would hope it doesn't stay that way long, but the notion that they can't ship for months, though long advocated by you, doesn't make it so.

    And you've already used the "Fisher-Price" line. You initially used it for "looks", now it's for "feel". It's already old, and frankly, sounds very much like sour grapes.

    As a matter of fact, that's very much what this whole post sounds like. I suspect the only way you wouldn't have walked away "disappointed" would be for them to announce they're going to stop competing with Apple.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I don't have any intention on further developing for webOS until drastic changes/improvements are made. I lurk here because I like the potential that webOS has, but that's about as far as it goes. I also visit here to remain current.

    I attended the event last night because it was local, free, a place to connect with other people in my field, possibly learn a thing or two (which I didn't) and demo the new devices. Also, there was an open bar and free food.

    Would you like to know anything else? I also wear size medium in a polo shirt and my favorite pizza is chicken pineapple.
    Uhoh, sounds like a nerve got hit.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    straight fresh tomato and delicious cheese for me.
    Hey Bark..., what made you say the TouchPad felt like a fisher price toy? I thought it looked the same as the ipad, from the other press reports.
    I suspect it's because "it feels/looks like a Fisher-Price toy" works so much better than "it's got a much faster processor, more features, and a real multi-tasking OS" for an aPhan.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I find the whole "2 PCs and two printers per second" argument to be suspect, at best. You are not going to sell many copies of Angry Birds for the printer or kitchen appliance. How many of those PCs or beige boxes for gray cubicles? None of those boxes are operated by people with clearance to download apps to the system.

    That stat obfuscates the real number of consumer PCs WebOS will be running on.
    "None of those boxes are operated by people with clearance to download apps to the system" - None? You sure? Remember, absolutes are pretty easy to disprove.

    I work for a government contractor. A little over two years ago, they switch from Dell to HP. Guess who has clearance to download apps to the system.

    I know, I know, your point is somewhat valid, but "none", seriously?

    However, I disagree with the gist of the post. Many large organizations (ours included) completely wipe the drives and nothing remains from the distributor; however, many don't. The point HP was making is valid. Including WebOS on their computers will help make the system more widely accepted.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Five posts in a row, hparsons? I think we know whose nerve got tickled...
    I hadn't bothered reading the thread until just now. I always respond to individual posts as I read them.

    But, you do have a point. Yes, threads like this rile me. The OP is a WebOS hater. He comes to the forum, not for actual discussion, but to dis the products. Nothing wrong with rational discussion from someone that wants to learn, discuss, explore, etc. However, the repeated "Fisher-Price" comments are perfect examples of what I'm talking about. This thread is a troll thread. It was put here, on a WebOS forum, simply to put down the OS and the company that produces it.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The point HP was making is valid. Including WebOS on their computers will help make the system more widely accepted.
    Genuine question here: Why?

    The examples we've seen of bundled apps that become ubiquitous - like Internet Explorer - are ones that perform an essential function on a PC as the default.

    WebOS will not be the default, and it doesn't perform any essential functions on a PC. So why would simply including it lead to widespread acceptance of the platform?
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #47  
    I've just been at a social event with a friend of mine who works for hp (just on the train on the way back so excuse typos) - he says that the statement that it will be shipping on millions of pc was literally just thrown in there to drum up interest and absolutely nothing solid is planned. His take is that nothing is ready but there is a push to market to show there is roi.

    Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
  8. #48  
    Well, damn. I guess we have to wait for hparsons to type up his first hand report from the dev conference to get the other side of the story.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I've just been at a social event with a friend of mine who works for hp (just on the train on the way back so excuse typos) - he says that the statement that it will be shipping on millions of pc was literally just thrown in there to drum up interest and absolutely nothing solid is planned. His take is that nothing is ready but there is a push to market to show there is roi.

    Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    I'm not going to say that this is absolutely the case, but I'm tired of HP teasing concepts like this and saying "Now, think about that/the potential of that....."

    Actually, you should be showing me that.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, damn. I guess we have to wait for hparsons to type up his first hand report from the dev conference to get the other side of the story.
    what would you like to hear about?
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what would you like to hear about?
    I'd like to hear about hparson's experience at the event and the vibe he got from being there.

    I wouldn't mind hearing his opinion on the build quality of the TouchPad too since he seems to vehemently disagree with barkerja's Fisher-Price comparison.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Genuine question here: Why?
    I've been asking myselfe that. I see two scenarios.

    1. write hp apps in webos - examples could include control apps in. system tray, and other apps related to usng the printer or manipulating scanned images, etc.

    benefit? would enable user to perform same task on phone/pad/pc.

    #2 could provide ability to run my phone apps on the pc in a natural extension of tap-to-share...

    not saying those are must-haves, but there is potential in there and would be another aspect of 'connected ecosystem'
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'd like to hear about hparson's experience at the event and the vibe he got from being there.

    I wouldn't mind hearing his opinion on the build quality of the TouchPad too since he seems to vehemently disagree with barkerja's Fisher-Price comparison.
    I don't think he was there. But I was and there wasn't anything 'fisher price' about the hardware. Maybe I need to read back a few pages.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Genuine question here: Why?

    How about because there's no good PC PIM app. Outlook is used by tons of people, but most hate it. Thunderbird is good for email but doesn't support Exchange and the calendar addon sucks.

    I've been saying for a while, but I'd love webOS' calendar, email, messaging, contacts, etc. on my PC. I'm not sure that in itself helps app developers though, other than being a gateway to webOS itself.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    How about because there's no good PC PIM app. Outlook is used by tons of people, but most hate it. Thunderbird is good for email but doesn't support Exchange and the calendar addon sucks.

    I've been saying for a while, but I'd love webOS' calendar, email, messaging, contacts, etc. on my PC. I'm not sure that in itself helps app developers though, other than being a gateway to webOS itself.
    ths is an excellent thought. I'm the guy that insists on syncing my pre with outlook, and having the webOS PIM stuff on my PC would be great - as long as it's the far superior PIM stuff saw on the touchpad, and with much centro/treo features added back in...
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    How about because there's no good PC PIM app. Outlook is used by tons of people, but most hate it. Thunderbird is good for email but doesn't support Exchange and the calendar addon sucks.

    I've been saying for a while, but I'd love webOS' calendar, email, messaging, contacts, etc. on my PC. I'm not sure that in itself helps app developers though, other than being a gateway to webOS itself.
    Don't most consumers do this stuff in Google apps these days? Done once, and synced on any phone or computer that has a Web browser.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Don't most consumers do this stuff in Google apps these days? Done once, and synced on any phone or computer that has a Web browser.
    Not for most companies though, you need Exchange for that, and the only way to connect to Exchange is with Outlook.

    If I go into Outlook I can only see my company appointments, if I go into Google I can only see my personal appointments. My Pre shows both together, nothing on the PC does.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not for most companies though, you need Exchange for that, and the only way to connect to Exchange is with Outlook.

    If I go into Outlook I can only see my company appointments, if I go into Google I can only see my personal appointments. My Pre shows both together, nothing on the PC does.
    Ok...so if I'm a company, why would I have my employees working in Windows, but having to switch over to another OS entirely for PIM and email? And if that somehow became the chief use case for WebOS on PCs, what's the incentive for developers?
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Ok...so if I'm a company, why would I have my employees working in Windows, but having to switch over to another OS entirely for PIM and email? And if that somehow became the chief use case for WebOS on PCs, what's the incentive for developers?
    Considering webOS is mostly just WebKit on top of a Linux base, there's no reason it can't just run as an app on top of Windows or any other operating system (which they did show at the developer conference, it seems. Enyo apps were being built and running in the browser.)

    That'd be much more exciting to me than a dual-boot OS or anything else.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I hadn't bothered reading the thread until just now. I always respond to individual posts as I read them.

    But, you do have a point. Yes, threads like this rile me. The OP is a WebOS hater. He comes to the forum, not for actual discussion, but to dis the products. Nothing wrong with rational discussion from someone that wants to learn, discuss, explore, etc. However, the repeated "Fisher-Price" comments are perfect examples of what I'm talking about. This thread is a troll thread. It was put here, on a WebOS forum, simply to put down the OS and the company that produces it.
    Of course. That's why I maintain an active development account; why I attended the developer event; why I follow all webOS news/events closely; why I continue to discuss/debate on these boards.

    Like I have said many times before, I don't hate or dislike webOS, I just hate the direction and fumbles that Palm (and now HP) have had with webOS. Here we are, almost two years after the initial showing of webOS and us developers don't even have a 1/4 of the tools and capabilities that other mobile operating systems provide. Yeah, color me soured. So much potential, yet such a letdown.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions