Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    It's like you're invited to a wealthy kids big Birthday party except when you show up, it isn't much of a party. No cake or ice cream, just people with sample trays of Bon-Bons being occasionally offered. No cool kids showed up or entertainment because the parents are hoping those of you who showed up will provide that.

And the Birthday Kid is unwrapping his gifts in front of you which you can't really touch for 6-months.

And one of the parents whisper in your ear about that gift card they gave you last year will no longer work anymore.
    Well deesugar, at least you made me laugh. I was kind of crying over the developers posts.

And it's CAKE or Death! ummm Cake Please
    Cake or Death ummmm Cake please
    Cake or Death ummm Cake please well you're gonna have to accept Death we have no cake left ... what? - Eddie Izzard

All i can see now is a bunch of Italian Scooter riders going by and instead of saying "Chow" are saying "Cool HP" - I wonder if Eddie can use this ....
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    straight fresh tomato and delicious cheese for me.
    Hey Bark..., what made you say the TouchPad felt like a fisher price toy? I thought it looked the same as the ipad, from the other press reports.
    Before actually seeing it in person last night, I thought it looked cheap; but I am spoiled by Apple's hardware (I'll admit, I love [almost] everything about Apple). The feel and look of the iPad is just solid, one piece of aluminum.

The TouchPad looks like plastic. It feels like plastic. It is plastic. And the funny thing is, it's heavier than the iPad, yet it's made out of material that should make it lighter.
    It really sounds like they should have scraped the whole event. I would have been much happier if they just told us they goofed up and its going to be awhile before we can give you any news.

Really, dropping a bomb on the bridge from 1.x to 2.x was the dumbest thing they could have done. The webOS userbase is too small to handle fragmentation right now, and its not like Android where every carrier has multiple devices to move to.

I feel especially bad for Dan and his Music Player (Remix). He sank a lot of time into gearing up for 2.x so he could make some money off of his work, and as users, we were looking forward to it. Then in one fell swoop everything was blown apart. I'll say this about Dan though, he's calmer and more understanding than I would be.
    Interesting post differentials by mr. Zilber five weeks apart

January 04, 2011

'Twas the week after Christmas

'Twas the week after Christmas, when all over Palm
    All the creatures were stirring, no mouses were calm;
    More smartphones are coming in two-o-one-one,
    To bring more mobility to everyone;

Designers are nestled all snug in their cubes,
    With visions of webOS (a series of tubes);
    We've read all your tweetering (no need for ALL CAPS),
    We all know that this ain't a time for no naps.
    Yes, out on the blogs there has been so much chatter,
    You'd think it was truly a death-or-life matter

The webOS update brings goodies like Flash,
    And Just Type and stacking (and won't cost you cash).
    More treats that the new year will bring unto you?
    (We have heard that you're feeling they're long overdue.)

And what to your wondering eyes will appear?
    Not a miniature hint now, but never you fear,
    We'll have news to share with you, soon as we can,
    I know what you're thinking: "Just tell us your plan!"

I'm sure that you've heard that a tablet is nigh,
    And lots more phones, and ePrint, and cool apps, oh my,
    "First, Palm Pre! then, Pixi! and, Pre Plus (and Pre 2)!
    Next, Whatzis? or Whosit! or, Thingabob? and Yoohoo!"
    (Those aren't the real names! they're not even the codes!
    You'll have to wait! have to wait! the future bodes!)

But for now I'll exclaim that unless something leaks,
    "Happy newness to all...in the forthcoming weeks."

Jon Zilber

February 10, 2011

Thanks (really!) for the feedback

Yesterday was packed with announcements about our latest products, partners, and personnel. We heard some great feedback about the excitement around our news.

And we also heard some concerns and frustration about a few specific issues, such as a lack of detail around product availability timing and pricing, and especially about the absence of future over-the-air updates for older webOS phones.

Rest assured that the HP team has been hearing these concerns. To make the experience you’ll have with the Veer, Pre 3, and TouchPad as powerful as possible, we’ve had to make some tough decisions that had an impact on our earlier webOS devices.

Our original expectation was that we’d be able to support older phones as well as the new product line. But ultimately it became clear that we would need to choose between supporting the past with over-the-air updates and ensuring that our upcoming devices would live up to your hopes and expectations for them. It was a difficult and, frankly, painful decision for us, and we realize it was a frustrating outcome for many of you.

We’re working on something that we hope will help make things right for you. We’ll be sharing the specifics with you when they’re ready. Although some of the outcry has been a little hard to take, we also appreciate the fact that you care enough about what we’re doing to express your reactions. (And we even manage to get a chuckle out of some of your more pointed criticism – yes, jonnybryce, I’m talking about you.)

Jon Zilber
    Quote Originally Posted by gorn View Post
    did they put ruby's face in the cake?

You know... Facepalm...

Oh boy.
    uuuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
    I hope this "suprise" is a 1.5 update. Add flash, Just Type, and Stacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I attended the developer event last night and to make a long story short, left very disappointed (and early).

The atmosphere was desperation and they tried playing with our emotions. Essentially, they portrayed a scenario that webOS wouldn't succeed without us (the developers); this came directly from Rubinstein.

They're trying to make webOS sound appealing to developers by claiming that webOS will be available on hundreds of millions devices, as they're going to soon be pushing webOS to PC's (and then they showed a little slide indicating that during the last 60 seconds HP had shipped over 120 PCs). My personal belief on this is, webOS needs to be successful on their mobile devices before it will ever be successful on the PC.

The actual developer presentation was VERY short, only 30 minutes and not much explained or show-cased which indicated something to me: it's not very far along. The one example he did try showing, which was of a map widget, he began to scroll but quickly stopped as it was VERY laggy; I noticed it and I'm sure many others did too, even though it was very quick.

They admitted to that the new framework was only in alpha stage, which makes sense and why the new devices probably aren't coming for months: software.

I've been trying to tell everyone here that for a while now, but everyone was almost positive that it was ready to ship. THERE'S NOT EVEN A PUBLIC SDK AVAILABLE YET, how could it be close?

The Veer and Pre 3 actually look and feel nice, albeit still a bit slow (for me anyways, but I'm spoiled by the quickness of other devices so my standards are high). The TouchPad looks and feels cheap, almost as if it was designed by Fisher-Price.

Any questions, let me know. I stuck around for about an hour and talked to a few people.
    Actually, if HP includes a copy of webOS on every single laptop and desktop they put out in the near future, it will make it easier for consumers to get a phone that compliments it. It's a smart move. look at MS windows. That is how they slaughtered Apple. Look at the Playstation 3. That is how they got Blu-Ray popular and won the media format war with MS. Android will put out mass market cell phones, and HP will put out mass market webOS on PC's and laptops. That would be the best advertising which would require no advertising. In essence, anyone who buys an HP product will know what WebOS is.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Before actually seeing it in person last night, I thought it looked cheap; but I am spoiled by Apple's hardware (I'll admit, I love [almost] everything about Apple). The feel and look of the iPad is just solid, one piece of aluminum.

The TouchPad looks like plastic. It feels like plastic. It is plastic. And the funny thing is, it's heavier than the iPad, yet it's made out of material that should make it lighter.
    Hence the induction charging which requires no cables. I'd gladly pass up on metal backing in order to have induction charging.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I think HP never imagined how hard managing its own OS would be as difficult as it is. Since they have only been slapping OS's on devices, never optimizing a OS, then building a device for it. As stated all previous version of webos is still very beta, and to me optimizing it would have taken some time. Though to me with HP's power at the very least webos 2.0 2.1 whichever should have been optimized by now. They should of have had a mobile version optimized ready to go at the show, announced a update for all older devices then, and announced the Pre3, and Veer for carriers with prices by early march. So even though Im disappointed with these things, with most options ive tried myself Android, BB etc I have option but to wait and see whats to come unless for me atleast WP7 releases a product on sprint before hand. I wrote a email to HP exects yesterday and got a reply last night stating they are aware of the complaints (as posted by precentral) and will be trying to resolve these issues. My thing is these were clear cut issues, and now are really only excuses smh the waiting game is on again.
    What HP needs to do is call up Microsoft and say.. "hey, we all know your phone OS is going to fail due to practically no sales, so tell you what, give us a hand with our webOS and we'll cut you a royalty." Lol. Or better yet, incorporate it into your next version of Windows!
    This is a video from October of 2009 showing Flash Player working on a Palm Pre (yeah the Sprint version).

HP says that they couldn't install Flash Player because the phone would not be able to handle it.

Does HP actually do ANY internet or internal analysis before they release statements?
    Just because it worked in a video demo does not mean it would work well on the average unit in the wild. ALL demos are rigged to work well. Who knows what the performance is really like.
    This is a video from February of 2010 showing Flash Player working on a Palm Pre (yeah the Sprint version).

HP says that they couldn't install Flash Player because the phone would not be able to handle it.

Good thing HP says it doesn't work on these devices is why they didn't release it.
    Flash is buggy. It's performance can vary greatly, even on a full blown PC. Can't tell you how many times I have to kill my browser because of some crap code eating memory up and bogging my PC down. Just because they were able to cherry pick an example that ran fine on a Pre- doesn't mean the average Flash app would run the same. After extensive testing, I assume they found that the experience wasn't there. This was an issue on the initial releases with Android. But they may have found that the Pre- won't get much better.

Personally I think the REAL issue is the need to repartition the OS space on the drive. I think they felt that the average webOS user wouldn't know how to back everything up properly, and would be mighty ****ed when they lost everything on the phone after a simple OTA update.

In a way, if this leads to a cheaper upgrade path to a new device, then I'm glad this happened. If, as many speculate, they provide some kind of voucher for an upgrade, or outright provide a free upgrade, with contract renewal, to those of us who have a continuing contract on one of these phones, then that would be worth far more than any OS upgrade.

And, furthermore waynecz, the hole lying bit is getting over the top. They didn't lie. They made a promise they had intended to keep, but were unable to fulfill it. It doesn't make it hurt less for those who really felt they needed this update, but there's a world of difference between willful deceit and making a promise that you tried to fulfill, but failed to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Actually, if HP includes a copy of webOS on every single laptop and desktop they put out in the near future, it will make it easier for consumers to get a phone that compliments it. It's a smart move. look at MS windows. That is how they slaughtered Apple. Look at the Playstation 3. That is how they got Blu-Ray popular and won the media format war with MS. Android will put out mass market cell phones, and HP will put out mass market webOS on PC's and laptops. That would be the best advertising which would require no advertising. In essence, anyone who buys an HP product will know what WebOS is.
    To date HP (and Palm) have shown themselves incapable of managing an OS and the community it serves. Underpowered and resource hungry, they inflicted webOS on its first generation of users only to wipe the slate clean, start over, and abandon those users of their first generation, seemingly experimental product. Oh yes, this is the kind of OS stewardship that big market shares are built on. And still folks here are jumping at the chance to find even more ways inflict this mess on others.
    I find the whole "2 PCs and two printers per second" argument to be suspect, at best. You are not going to sell many copies of Angry Birds for the printer or kitchen appliance. How many of those PCs or beige boxes for gray cubicles? None of those boxes are operated by people with clearance to download apps to the system.

That stat obfuscates the real number of consumer PCs WebOS will be running on.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecz View Post
    This is a video from February of 2010 showing Flash Player working on a Palm Pre (yeah the Sprint version).

Good thing HP says it doesn't work on these devices is why they didn't release it.
    You should consult with someone that owns a Pre 2 that does have Flash enabled. To the few that I have spoken with about it, they run with Flash disabled due to performance/stability issues.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Hence the induction charging which requires no cables. I'd gladly pass up on metal backing in order to have induction charging.
    It's a cool factor, but not a defining attribute that pushes it above the rest.

Kind of like this new "bump" feature they showed off; I really hope they don't rely on something like it to sell devices like they relied on their "innovative multitasking" to sell devices.
    I actually find the metal edges of the iPad uncomfortable.

They probably should've used Matte plastic though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I actually find the metal edges of the iPad uncomfortable.

They probably should've used Matte plastic though.
    Does it matter? Most throw a case on these anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I find the whole "2 PCs and two printers per second" argument to be suspect, at best. You are not going to sell many copies of Angry Birds for the printer or kitchen appliance. How many of those PCs or beige boxes for gray cubicles? None of those boxes are operated by people with clearance to download apps to the system.

That stat obfuscates the real number of consumer PCs WebOS will be running on.
    Not only that, but HP has already tried slapping a "instant-on" OS on their computers before. They acquired Voodoo's - get ready for it - iOS when they bought them, then they tried a Linux distro that looked just like the TouchSmart layer they use now. Both are distant memories, and this is before Windows 7 became prevalent.

Windows 7 is already instant-on for any notebook or netbook. You lift the lid and press a button to wake it up and start working instantly. Then close the lid. No rebooting or powering on or off.

Windows 8 will obviate this need even further and have its own app store with apps optimized for the PC, not generically splashed in a watered down form over 10 different chipsets, resolutions, and form factors. And it's 12-18 months from release. How far off is HP from shipping a form of WebOS 3 that works on phones, much less PCs? How will they guarantee people will use it when they didn't use iOS or Splashtop?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast