Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First they announced that all old devices would be getting the 2.x update. Then they pulled the rug out from under developers and users alike and said that was not happening. (And coupled with no Sprint device and the people who kept Palm afloat are given the middle finger)

Then the CEO said they wouldn't announce any devices that wouldn't be shipping within a few weeks. And then they announced the new devices were coming in the summer (at least 4 months away).

What's next?!
    HP has had questionable ethics before. They bribed the US government in the past. Lied about the availability of their e-printer is a more recent one. There's other stuff like: Hewlett-Packard spying scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Plus, I bet they're all communists. Or vegans.
    are*

HP are a bunch of liars.
    Normally, I would scoff at a thread like this, but the OP is right on at least one count. HP had to know for some time, now, that they were not going to be delivering a 2.0 update. They didn't just decide it yesterday. The way the information dribbled out, I get the feeling that they were not ready to reveal it. With forethought, they have been stringing everyone along for a while with the hope of an upgrade, even using it as a selling point. That is inexcusable.
    agreed with the OP on the fact about the update, and they dropped the ball IMO about stating new products announced in weeks as opposed to months, but again people on sprint there is nothing stating nothing is going to sprint nore any carrier at this point except the Pre 2 to VZ. So dont get uptight about things that are not certain yet until it is said out of an exect at HP. If you rely on rumors, it is said not only here on precentral about sprint working with HP, but rumor of a smartphone headed to sprint in june. To me HP is a different company then Palm alot larger and can support Webos so Sprint nor any other company will worry about the company folding and having inventory sitting around like before. So if VZ is willing to still release a old Pre 2 still right after a better version was just announced when it has the Iphone already selling over 2million copies and its head in androids rear, im pretty sure Sprint among others will pick up a webos device in the near future.
    can someone tell me what benefit HP would get if they purposely lied? I agree they have disappointed many (especially sprint users) but does it make sense to purposely lie? Of course not.

lets be reasonable. No one woke up over the holidays and said ' well, they aren't mad enoug yet. We got their money back in 2009 so we don't benefit from them continuing to use their pre. I know, lets make sure when they buy something else they are REALLY angry so they will scream at us and tell everyone to stay away. What sort of lies should I invent? And how long should I wait to tell them? Oooo, i'll wait until the big announcement so I can totally smother any enthusiasm for the new phones. Ya, THAT'S the ticket!"

I share your concern, but it's not reasobale to think this was a purposeful deception, just because there is no benefit to them. Just sayin.
    It did benefit them. How many people hung onto their Pres and renewed their contracts thinking they were going to get more life out of the device with the upgrade? Heck, I don't think they were planning on telling us yesterday, as they had two different stories. They were lying even then. So, yes. They had material reason to lie.
    I don't think anybody renewed their contract with the Pre or Pixi...the two (or 3) years hasn't been up yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterj3033 View Post
    I don't think anybody renewed their contract with the Pre or Pixi...the two (or 3) years hasn't been up yet.
    There are many on Sprint who were elegible after one year with their webOS devices that have been waiting around because of the promise of "new software to hold me over until new devices come out".
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    There are many on Sprint who were elegible after one year with their webOS devices that have been waiting around because of the promise of "new software to hold me over until new devices come out".
    Absolutely, I am one of them. Just don't think that is quite the same as saying people renewed their contracts for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterj3033 View Post
    Absolutely, I am one of them. Just don't think that is quite the same as saying people renewed their contracts for this.
    Maybe I misread but I though the issue was that people didn't renew their contracts or move on to a competitor because of this "false hope".
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    are*

HP are a bunch of liars.
    Not in the United States. Here, a company is used in the singular sense not the plural sense as is the case in England. In my post's title, the word "is" refers to HP, not "bunch" so it's singular.

In the U.S. we would say "Man United is a good team," not "Man United are a good team."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ...can someone tell me what benefit HP would get if they purposely lied?...
    I think it's pretty clear why they would lie. Time. Keeping developers on board for a few more months and keeping the user base intact until HP was ready to launch new products. Unfortunately, the charade was exposed early. If HP could have kept up the "coming months" charade until March, everybody would already be eager to upgrade to the Pre3 and nobody would care as much.
    Everyone acts like they've never made a mistake !! did anyone ever forgive you for making a mistake ?? did you never forgive anyone before ?? lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    So it wasn't a lone gunman?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Everyone acts like they've never made a mistake !! did anyone ever forgive you for making a mistake ?? did you never forgive anyone before ?? lol
    People have filed lawsuits over less than what HP did. In fact, it wouldn't terribly surprise me if some developers wanted to get together and file a class action lawsuit for damages and lost earnings.

From an end user perspective, it just wipes out HP's credibility and damages my interest in the Palm Pre2 a lot.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I was fretful this would happen; I held out as long as I could before my OG Pre was on it's absolute last legs. Got an EVO Shift on it's lauch and I have been secretly afraid that I would be totally disapointed when HP had the big meeting. Well, I had a very loud sigh of relief. Did HP lie? Maybe. Did they change their minds about WebOS 2 on old hardware, probably. Can I do anything about it? Nope. Regardless of what came from the announcement, I knew, if it was great, I could go back to WebOS in January as I still get an annual (10+ years with Sprint). I find that unlikely now. That's what this has done for me. It would take something major (and major app development) for me to come back at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    People have filed lawsuits over less than what HP did. In fact, it wouldn't terribly surprise me if some developers wanted to get together and file a class action lawsuit for damages and lost earnings.

From an end user perspective, it just wipes out HP's credibility and damages my interest in the Palm Pre2 a lot.
    Nonsense developers will still develop for the millions of users on 2.0 in the meantime.
    One developer already had to pull his pap, due to losing expected 2.0 customers now. His app was meant to work on 2.0 and many people can't use it due to HP's backtracking.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast