Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    According to the BBC, he said on sale in a FEW weeks. I think it takes approximately six weeks to get from February 9 to March 20, the official start of Spring, so even if the Veer is available on HP.com March 21, it stretches credulity that he adhered to the "few" weeks timeframe.

Had he said "a number" of weeks, it might be different. But "a few weeks" sets expectations for a number of weeks smaller than six to virtually anyone, don't you think?
    First off, it was an indirect quote, so we don't know exactly what he said. There is the possibility that BBC paraphrased and screwed up his intended meaning. But clearly, the only device coming any time soon is the Veer. The other devices have not even began the FCC filing process yet.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Judging by his recent interview, I think HP is going to be pushed to get their products to market faster.
    According to the BBC, he said on sale in a FEW weeks. I think it takes approximately six weeks to get from February 9 to March 20, the official start of Spring, so even if the Veer is available on HP.com March 21, it stretches credulity that he adhered to the "few" weeks timeframe.

Had he said "a number" of weeks, it might be different. But "a few weeks" sets expectations for a number of weeks smaller than six to virtually anyone, don't you think?
    No, I don't think that. As I stated before (and in that thread, you changed the subject), no one says something is coming in 1.5 months or 1.75 months. They say weeks. In some instances, they will even say 9 weeks (used to get 6 week and 9 week reporting periods in school, never did get 1.5 or 2.25 month periods). I routinely fill out paperwork for rebates that say to allow 10 weeks for receipt. I could go on, but I'm sure you get my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, I don't think that. As I stated before (and in that thread, you changed the subject), no one says something is coming in 1.5 months or 1.75 months. They say weeks. In some instances, they will even say 9 weeks (used to get 6 week and 9 week reporting periods in school, never did get 1.5 or 2.25 month periods). I routinely fill out paperwork for rebates that say to allow 10 weeks for receipt. I could go on, but I'm sure you get my point.
    Not sure why you're continuing the debate from that thread. I think "a few weeks" is less than a month. For anything. The outcry here and on other WebOS sites leads me to believe those are the expectations everyone else gathered from his quote as well.

And regardless which side of that divide you fall on, he said the products promoted on that day would all fall in that window. Thing is, I do believe the guy means it. I also believe he doesn't have much of an effect on what happens around WebOS yet.
    Not sure why you're continuing the debate from that thread. I think "a few weeks" is less than a month. For anything. The outcry here and on other WebOS sites leads me to believe those are the expectations everyone else gathered from his quote as well.
    Because you brought up the same argument, again.

And regardless which side of that divide you fall on, he said the products promoted on that day would all fall in that window. Thing is, I do believe the guy means it. I also believe he doesn't have much of an effect on what happens around WebOS yet.
    Absolutely he did. And I've acknowledged that. As I said earlier, and will state again. He was wrong. So are the people that keep insisting that none of the products are coming in the time frame promised. At least one of the three are.

Absolutely he did. And I've acknowledged that. As I said earlier, and will state again. He was wrong. So are the people that keep insisting that none of the products are coming in the time frame promised. At least one of the three are.
    Which product has a launch date? I wasn't even aware they had announced a carrier for this device that launches within said timeframe.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Which product has a launch date? I wasn't even aware they had announced a carrier for this device that launches within said timeframe.
    I don't believe I mentioned a "launch date", do you have a reference?

I did mention announced time frames.

I'm going to repeat myself, since you seem bound and determined to pretend I've said something I haven't.

Several people have posted (or implied), including the one I quoted, that none of the devices are gong to be released within the time frame promised.

If we're going to base this discussion on announced launch dates, there's nothing for anyone to complain about yet, since there have been no announced launch dates, before or after the time frame promised.

If we're going to talk about the time frames mentioned since then - the TouchPad and the Pre 3 are slated for a "summer" release, and the Veer for an "early spring" release.

So, no matter how you choose to spin it, those that are saying "none of the devices" will be available for 4 months or more, before summer, however they want to phrase it, the statement is wrong.

I don't believe I mentioned a "launch date", do you have a reference?

I did mention announced time frames.

I'm going to repeat myself, since you seem bound and determined to pretend I've said something I haven't.

Several people have posted (or implied), including the one I quoted, that none of the devices are gong to be released within the time frame promised.

If we're going to base this discussion on announced launch dates, there's nothing for anyone to complain about yet, since there have been no announced launch dates, before or after the time frame promised.

If we're going to talk about the time frames mentioned since then - the TouchPad and the Pre 3 are slated for a "summer" release, and the Veer for an "early spring" release.

So, no matter how you choose to spin it, those that are saying "none of the devices" will be available for 4 months or more, before summer, however they want to phrase it, the statement is wrong.
    Wonder if this time frame will go the same route as their time frame for Flash, webOS 2.0, the Pre 2, etc. went? Sorry, but I have little faith in these proposed time frames; I'll believe it when I see an actual launch date.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Wonder if this time frame will go the same route as their time frame for Flash, webOS 2.0, the Pre 2, etc. went? Sorry, but I have little faith in these proposed time frames; I'll believe it when I see an actual launch date.
    Flash is not produced by Palm or HP. The Pre 2 came out about a month after it was announced. Your constant gripes are noted, but these two "example" have nothing to do with HP, or this discussion.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    He was wrong. So are the people that keep insisting that none of the products are coming in the time frame promised. At least one of the three are.
    I think the point is that when your first post-WebOS acquisition promise is a major dud, it becomes more difficult to accept the Veer arriving in "weeks" or "early spring" as gospel. I wonder if AT&T is on the same schedule, or will this be another unsubsidized handset that will make no impact (Not a snap on HP...I feel the same way about the Nexus One and Nexus S).
  11. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Personally, I believe the first statement I ever heard from HP, which was, "We did not buy Palm to get into the smartphone business."

I think the clarification that followed was made merely squash the uproar. Anybody who thinks HP is worried about loosing a few thousand smartphone consumers is kidding themselves. Saying so is like saying Denny's is worried about that one toothless hobo that comes in every Thursday and takes up a whole booth for a couple hours drinking the free coffee refills.

HP probably envisions some way that webOS will add feature value to their workstations, servers and other enterprise stuff. Maybe they want to put a little webOS screen on the front of a server that runs various reporting, logging, disk management, and who knows what else kind of utilities that can all be accessed right at the rack. I'm just guessing there, but my point is that I doubt trying to beat iPhones and Android phones is their big play.

Xtn
    Maybe, but then that contradicts Leo's "We want to be cool like Apple" vision.

The thing is...there is no cohesive vision, message, or identity yet. Maybe there never will be.
    HP's broken promises remind me of what happened a few years ago with my little girl. She came running in ... "Daddy, Daddy! Tori next door said it would be sunny today, and now it's raining. And when somebody tells you something that doesn't happen, that's a lie, isn't it Daddy? So I think Tori should have to give me her new American Girl doll Daddy. Ok Daddy? And her bike, too. Make her give me her new doll and her bike, because she lied about the weather." So, I trotted next door and I beat the holy cr*p out of Tori's daddy. I told that SOB that he darn well better teach that little witch of his that it's just not nice make promises you can't keep. I had brought my son along, just in case, so we hefted a flat screen off the wall. My daughter rolled the witch and took the doll. I backhanded the mom on the way out. And now I'm thinking, this is the kind of treatment we should give to HP. We should do our own "million man march" to the HP headquarters. Maybe to Leo whats-his-name's HOUSE. We'll need "security," so we probably should hire somebody like that Blackwater group that helped out the US in Iraq. I don't think we want to go to California, but Hewlett-Packard USA is in Houston, so carrying open weapons should be ok. Then let's see if we keep getting lies and broken promises!!!

Uh huh.

Or, instead, maybe I'll just do like usual, and buy the best phone on the market, whenever I'm ready to buy.

Want a promise? Get it in a contract. Otherwise, a statement about the future is, necessarily, merely a prediction or statement of intent. HP stated their honest intent to put 2.0 on old devices. Then they found out they couldn't do everything they wanted to do. They had to pick and choose. Amazingly, this has never, ever happened before in the history of tech devices or operating systems. HP chose to focus on new rather than old. Do you somehow think that HP is the only phone/OS vendor having problems with the development-manufacturing-carrier cycle times? Go read other forums. Every vendor has a large group of complainers.

Complain all you want about HP's broken promises. But realize that doing so is about as valid and effective as complaining about the weather forecast.
    - Bubba
    I think the point is that when your first post-WebOS acquisition promise is a major dud, it becomes more difficult to accept the Veer arriving in "weeks" or "early spring" as gospel. I wonder if AT&T is on the same schedule, or will this be another unsubsidized handset that will make no impact (Not a snap on HP...I feel the same way about the Nexus One and Nexus S).
    So why would they say "early spring" for one device, and "summer" for the other two.

Sorry, the argument you guys are trying to make simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The CEO was apparently incorrect when he stated that devices would follow in weeks, implying for everthing.

Those that say nothing is coming for months are apparently equally incorrect.
    So why would they say "early spring" for one device, and "summer" for the other two.

Sorry, the argument you guys are trying to make simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The CEO was apparently incorrect when he stated that devices would follow in weeks, implying for everthing.

Those that say nothing is coming for months are apparently equally incorrect.
    False equivalency.

He was incorrect/untruthful/you decide when he claimed that the Feb.9 devices would be onsale in a few weeks. Fact.

They're (people who say nothing is coming for months) not incorrect until something arrives.
    They're (people who say nothing is coming for months) not incorrect until something arrives.
    I will live forever, and be correct about it until I die.

Wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

Wait...
    Also a false equivalency because the issue is not whether something will happen or not (you dying or not dying), but whether it will happen in a certain finite timeframe.
    You know an argument has deteriorated beyond salvation when it devolves to a discussion about logical fallacies. Where's the dead horse smiley...
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  19. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

Wait...
    Oh no, you'll be wrong about it the whole time. There just won't be any proof until you die.
    False equivalency.

He was incorrect/untruthful/you decide when he claimed that the Feb.9 devices would be onsale in a few weeks. Fact.

No sir. Those people who are saying that are saying that HP said nothing is coming for 4 months, summer, whatever. They didn't say that.

I'm not even going to claim that they're lying, or that they owe me something. I'm going to assume they either didn't pay close attention to what was said, or are so focused on one thing, they're ignoring the other.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast