Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    @sledge, that was probably a little bit off topic, but the funniest post all day. I am still laughing. IMMD.

suitable.for.framing.
    Are people still whining about this?

Really? We're mostly adults here, I presume. Have none of you ever been in a situation where a change in conditions prevented you from doing what you said you would?

when I was a kid, my parents told me they would send me to astronaut camp. After a horrible turn of events (which i'd rather not get into), they could no longer afford to do so. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Grow up people... It's just a phone...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Please quit using that analogy. This doesn't concern people with honest intentions. It's a corporation that did something questionable for their bottom line.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Please quit using that analogy. This doesn't concern people with honest intentions. It's a corporation that did something questionable for their bottom line.

if anything the decision hurt their bottom line and they knew it would. Which leads me to believe that something other than greed motivated the decision.

now if they said, "we wont be updating old phones, but we're announcing Pre2's Veer's and Pre3's will be on sale on all carriers next week" i'd question their integrity. but this announcement cost them loyal customers, talented developers, and app revenue for the next 6 months. to say they did it to make more money is pretty ridiculous. they did it because they had to.

if some one can explain to me how exposing oneself to a six month drought equates to being a "greedy liar" i'd be sure to stop using the analogy.
    Sales and support of new devices made only under HP. They no longer have to support anything Palm made, except maybe warranty exchanges. Why did this come out after new devices were mentioned and not last year?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    So what are you defenders going to do when HP does this again because they got a free pass?
    I hope you understand the difference between "defending", and "understanding". I understand their mistake. That's not a defense. If they had a defense, they wouldn't have to promise something to make up for it, they'd just offer whatever defense there was.

As it is, they've said they can't do what they planned. They've promised to come up with another plan.

As for what happens if/when they do it again? Guess it would depend on my situation if/when they do it again.

If they did it again say, tomorrow, or next week, or even some time before June 6, I'd do exactly what I'm doing right now.

I'd let them know my displeasure, and tell them I'll be using a different phone come June 6 when my contract runs out.
    And you know that there intentions were never honest, but always based on the bottom line because ...
    ?
    Sales and support of new devices made only under HP. They no longer have to support anything Palm made, except maybe warranty exchanges. Why did this come out after new devices were mentioned and not last year?
    but the move hurt their sales...

it came out after devices were announced because thats when the features were finalized, tested, and deemed impossible on devices w/ less horsepower. common sense really.

If they were trying to pull a "bait and switch" they wouldn't do it with devices that are MONTHS AWAY!!!

it sucks that we didnt get webOS2.0 as promised, but did you think the palm devices would be supported forever? Since the beginning of time OS updates have come with minimum requirements. It burns that a device we thought could handle it actually cant, but that doesn't automatically mean they were in it for the $... especially when it has 0 potential to make them any..

by the time these devices come out, most people will have been eligible for an upgrade and foaming at the mouth to get rid of the old damaged pre's. why bait and switch someone who was going to make a purchase anyway.

this whole conspiracy theory logic makes NO SENSE!
    Well we'll see what the plan is. But this is the same company that sold e-printers then backtracked and said the firmware wasn't ready for the advertised feature, after they sold the printers. Another reason why I'm suspicious. They didn't know their phones couldn't be updated(supposedly, but people claim they saw video showing they could) and only chose to reveal this after they announce new devices? Were we born yesterday?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/05/h...views-despite/
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/15/2011 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    but the move hurt their sales...

it came out after devices were announced because thats when the features were finalized, tested, and deemed impossible on devices w/ less horsepower. common sense really.

If they were trying to pull a "bait and switch" they wouldn't do it with devices that are MONTHS AWAY!!!

it sucks that we didnt get webOS2.0 as promised, but did you think the palm devices would be supported forever? Since the beginning of time OS updates have come with minimum requirements. It burns that a device we thought could handle it actually cant, but that doesn't automatically mean they were in it for the $... especially when it has 0 potential to make them any..

by the time these devices come out, most people will have been eligible for an upgrade and foaming at the mouth to get rid of the old damaged pre's. why bait and switch someone who was going to make a purchase anyway.

this whole conspiracy theory logic makes NO SENSE!
    Look up HP's history, enough said.

BTW, the Pre/Pixi Plus debuted in the time frame in which people will still be stuck on contract with obsolete firmware. This excuse could fly for the originals, but not for the Pluses.

Another reason not to buy phones on contract. Thanks HP.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/15/2011 at 04:49 PM.

Well we'll see what the plan is. But this is the same company that sold e-printers then backtracked and said the firmware wasn't ready for the advertised feature, after they sold the printers. Another reason why I'm suspicious. They didn't know their phones couldn't be updated(supposedly, but people claim they saw video showing they could) and only chose to reveal this after they announce new devices? Were we born yesterday?

LOL a video! A VIDEO!!!!

please dont tell me your basing whether or not WebOS2.0 is technically suitable for a Pre based on a video?

Getting the update onto the device is one thing. But having it perform at a level that is acceptable for there own QA departments as well as those of various carriers they'd have to push it to, and ultimately the consumer, is an entirely different thing.

how ****ed would you be if your device actually performed worse after getting the update?

again if you can explain with logic how asking consumers and developers to wait months to get what they want will bring in $, i'll concede.

MAN! can you just what like would be like if we could replace months of testing and research with video clips!!!
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 02/15/2011 at 05:02 PM.
    Palm Pre Plus with webOS 2.0 installed, auditions for major role in your pocket - Phone Arena

It's more like making consumers and developers wait to get what they want. They have no choice but to buy or support only the new HP devices if they want 2.0. Developers could easliy leave though due to this. Die hard webOS consumers are another story. Seems you will still stick around no matter what HP does.

wow, so much anger.

I think we've been hammering HP pretty hard, and we should. But so much anger.
    Only speaking for myself obviously, but I'm pretty sick of companies(not just HP) with their "the consumer needs to bend to our will after we have their money" mentality.

Palm Pre Plus with webOS 2.0 installed, auditions for major role in your pocket - Phone Arena

It's more like making consumers and developers wait to get what they want. They have no choice but to buy or support only the new HP devices if they want 2.0. Developers could easliy leave though due to this. Die hard webOS consumers are another story. Seems you will still stick around no matter what HP does.
    you still haven't explained how making someone wait for what they want will bring in more money. If anything, they are losing money on this... and developers.

In this business, consumers express their discontent with their $. developers do it with their applications. it was clear that this announcement would have an adverse effect on HPs ability get $ and applications yet you still suggest that they did it for some financial gain.

Like I said, the "bait and switch" trick only works if you actually have something give. HP does not.

And I will stick around for as long as I'm satisfied with what they offer. I'm not loyal to webOS or HP or Palm. The day a manufacturer has something I want on Sprint, will be the day i get a new phone. I tried the evo for a while, and prefered my pre, so here I am...

I'm not here to defend HP, i'm pretty upset that they weren't able to deliver what they promised. I thought feb9 would be the day i could use the just type features on my sprint pre. But i'm able to tell the difference from being swindled and being let down. The former usually involves someone gaining something at my expense.

the idea that HP is gaining ANYTHING by not providing updates for the legacy phones is completely unfounded...They have nothing to offer.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 02/15/2011 at 05:38 PM.
    I see what you're saying but I didn't say it was a good plan. HP hasn't always made good decisions. Just that it does seem to me that they expect people to wait and buy only the HP made devices. You will have to buy the new HP devices to get 2.0 if you want it badly enough. Or get the Pre 2 now, and I see they're still screwing up it's release. It's more on the Verizon site than on HP's I believe.

Pre 2 available for $150 through Verizon on February 17th -- Engadget

If anything they need to get Verizon selling this one cheap so they can at least get some people in the door!!

I seriously believe they really don't want to support or deal with Palm made devices, only their own. I do think this could cost them developers though. One already had to pull an app because he expected 2.0 on legacy devices and now there's no customers.

@Canta#...
    the confusion rears it's ugly head (this kind of just dawned on me)
    HP is a bunch of liars....original title.

now if 6tr6tr insists that HP is singular( & that's fine )...then the title should be "HP is (singular) a liar(also singular) or "HP are (plural) a bunch of liars(also plural)"
    Both of those examples sound correct.

there. I feel better about that already

now back to our scheduled bickering and arguing
    I see what you're saying but I didn't say it was a good plan. HP hasn't always made good decisions. Just that it does seem to me that they expect people to wait and buy only the HP made devices. You will have to buy the new HP devices to get 2.0 if you want it badly enough. Or get the Pre 2 now, and I see they're still screwing up it's release. It's more on the Verizon site than on HP's I believe.

Pre 2 available for $150 through Verizon on February 17th -- Engadget

If anything they need to get Verizon selling this one cheap so they can at least get some people in the door!!

I seriously believe they really don't want to support or deal with Palm made devices, only their own. I do think this could cost them developers though. One already had to pull an app because he expected 2.0 on legacy devices and now there's no customers.
    Its pretty hard to fathom the notion that HP mistakenly thought that not releasing webOS2.0 to the old device (+ not having devices ready for sale) would somehow bring them more $. Its easy to say "they just didnt want to support the old stuff" but to make such allegations with no proof, or viable economic motive is ..... weird for lack of a better word.

and believe me, this has cost them more than one developer, quite a few customers and plenty of app sales. which is why its hard to believe they did it for gain. Its even harder to believe they did it just to be big meanies.
    Look at how old devices are already being treated. You call that support?? They can't even sell the Pre 2 right!! I think they want to start fresh with their own line. Some companies don't seem to care if they burn bridges.

@PhoneDiva.... There's a movie called The Corporation

and you are right. Most companies really don't give a flyin' about anyone or anything except the Almighty Greenback
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast