Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I guess it's OK with people being stuck on contract with outdated OS.

BTW, the one good thing Apple does concerning upgrades is wait until phones are almost out of contract before gimping upgrades.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Samsung has a history of not delivering upgrades, so I think the old "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" saying applies here.

With WebOS, the promises were made by Palm, not by HP. HP is under no obligation to keep Palm's promises. Sucks for WebOS users, but hey, **** happens. Nothing anyone can do about it.

Sure you can. There's no reason to remain constantly loyal to any of these companies after this. If you're going to get the big ** from them, why keep giving them your money over and over?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    With WebOS, the promises were made by Palm, not by HP. HP is under no obligation to keep Palm's promises. Sucks for WebOS users, but hey, **** happens. Nothing anyone can do about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Palm made a promise that HP couldn't keep because they changed the underlying infrastructure of the product to make it more attractive in the future than it has been in the past. Boo effing hoo.
    I beg your guys pardon....

webOS 2.0 coming to 'all' Palm devices in the coming months -- Engadget

HP promised it....not Palm.

Palm no longer existed as of Jul 1, 2010....there wasn't even talk of WebOS 2.0 back then!

HP promised all older devices would get the WebOS 2.x updates on Nov 19th 2010.

Nice try though guys, trying to put it on Palm like that...cute....claw at anything around here anymore eh?...
    I don't care much about this particular issue but for those of you that try to make this out to be a Palm vs HP thing, keep in mind that J Ruby made these statements both before and after tge merger. In fact, after this came out HP personnel (from the PGBU) were still tweeting that it was still possible.

People have a right to complain but in the end, it is your money so vote with it. If it bothers you that much don't buy more of their products. If it doesn't matter to you just get the next set of products coming out.
    Last edited by taharka; 02/15/2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Honestly the title of this thread just sounds like a whining child. I think it all just comes down to entitlement. What does someone feel s/he's entitled to? As purchaser of my Pre, I was entitled to an operating smartphone that performs as advertised. As an added benefit (not an entitlement) Palm and now HP periodically update my OS for free! It was nice while it lasted but the free stuff had to come to an end eventually. Is it reasonable for me to be disapointed about this? Absolutely. Is it reasonable for me to be angry about this? Not in my opinion.

By my criteria, there are other features that are more reasonable to be angry about such as document editing and flash (neither of which would I ever bother doing on a phone so I never cared that they don't exist).
    @ronlongo, the only issue I see with your post is that many people purchased their current webOS devices when they did because they were promised that things like Flash would come as an update. Now they are being told "things have changed".

I'm with you in that I don't think it's reasonable to expect support on a device "forever", however those who bought the device pending additional features have a right to complain. Me? I chalked it up to a lesson learned about Palm/HP long before no-2-4-u-gate and moved to another platform. Now they will need to earn my money again. But if the purchase of my Pre represented a significant cost to me, I'd probably be enraged as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I beg your guys pardon....

webOS 2.0 coming to 'all' Palm devices in the coming months -- Engadget

HP promised it....not Palm.

Palm no longer existed as of Jul 1, 2010....there wasn't even talk of WebOS 2.0 back then!

HP promised all older devices would get the WebOS 2.x updates on Nov 19th 2010.

Nice try though guys, trying to put it on Palm like that...cute....claw at anything around here anymore eh?...
    Consider the source.

We're hoping he wasn't speaking out of turn here, but for what it's worth, Palm developer advocate Josh Marinacci has said on stage at webOS Developer Days today in New York that webOS 2.0 will be coming to "all" Palm devices in "the coming months."
    "Palm developer advocate" Josh Marinacci is not an HP spokesperson. I could get up on a stage and promise WebOS 3.0 to all cell phones anywhere tomorrow, but that wouldn't make it a promise from HP.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    it used to say "webOS 2.0 coming soon" next to the legacy devices on Palm.com

wish I kept a screen shot.

unfortunately a product plan isn't the same as a guaranty or a promise. I wish it was.

we all screemed for palm to 'tell us anything, anything is better than silence' and what little they told us is coming back to bite them.

I'm not defending them, just pointing out the irony.

I don't need to point out how dumb it was to tell us that they changed the plan without also having a migration path for those of us effected by that little change. I just can't believe they didn't think we'd notice, apparently...
    Consider the source.

"Palm developer advocate" Josh Marinacci is not an HP spokesperson. I could get up on a stage and promise WebOS 3.0 to all cell phones anywhere tomorrow, but that wouldn't make it a promise from HP.
    So why is a well-known HP person apologizing for said non-existant promise?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So why is a well-known HP person apologizing for said non-existant promise?
    Lisa Brewster was a Developer Relations Administrator... at PALM. I'm sure she felt sorry for the WebOS community that HP was not upholding Palm's promise, but again, she's not an HP spokesperson.

Show me the press release where HP promised WebOS 2.0 on older devices. Otherwise, there was no promise from HP.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Brewster
    We've broken a promise to our most faithful users...
    Interesting choice of words I'd say. Maybe she should have said "They've" and "their".

Also, her LinkedIn profile states:
    I put the "elation" in developer relations | Hewlett-Packard
    I wonder what I would come up with if I took the "H" and the "P" from that strange company name that appears after the pipe symbol. Hmmm...nah...probably nothing.
    Last edited by taharka; 02/15/2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Lisa Brewster was a Developer Relations Administrator... at PALM. I'm sure she felt sorry for the WebOS community that HP was not upholding Palm's promise, but again, she's not an HP spokesperson.

Show me the press release where HP promised WebOS 2.0 on older devices. Otherwise, there was no promise from HP.
    I wish I had the screen shot. It was on their product pages. As I said earlier, a plan isn't a promise, but to users that is just arguing what the meaning of "is" is.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Not in the United States. Here, a company is used in the singular sense not the plural sense as is the case in England. In my post's title, the word "is" refers to HP, not "bunch" so it's singular.

In the U.S. we would say "Man United is a good team," not "Man United are a good team."
    too funny. This thread title bugs me everytime I see it. You say not in the USA.. I beg to differ. You use Man United to explain to the guy from England. I'll use American teams for you

The Green Bay Packers is the best football team OR The Green Bay Packers are the best football team?

Canada

The Vancouver Canucks are in first place or The Vancouver Canucks is in first place?

The Calgary Flames isn't in a playoff position or The Calgary Flames aren't in a playoff position?

Correction....we may both be right as I just learned...
    http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/english/2009/11/team-and-organization-names-singular-or-plural.html
    Ask the English Teacher
    Questions and answers about English usage
    What's "correct" English? | Main | When English is correct but awful

Team and organization names: Singular or plural?

Zorylee writes:

I have a question that has been boggling my brother and me.

Many sports team names have an S at the end,* NY Yankees, Green Bay Packers, etc.

Now my question is when you shorten the name and just say Yankees, Packers, etc I've heard a lot of people remove the S at the end of the team name.**

For example:* "I'm a Yankee fan."* "We're Packer fans."*"A Packer first down."* etc.

Now is that correct usage of the team name?* Shouldn't the S only be dropped when it's talking about a specific player on the team?

For example:* "Alex Rodriguez is a Yankee."* "Brett Favre used to be a Packer."

Can*team names be singularized when it doesn't refer to a specific player on that team?

Good questions! Technically, I guess we ought to say "I'm a Yankees fan," but widespread usage makes "I'm a Yankee fan" acceptable. And of course we can describe an individual team member as a Yankee or a Packer.

But you bring up an intriguing point: Many company and organization names end in a plural but are singular: "General Motors is in a lot of trouble." "The Canadian Auto Workers is conceding some points." Logically (if English were ever logical), we should also say, "The New York Yankees is in the World Series." But we always seem to treat teams as plurals if their names end in s.

Just to make it even stranger, in Britain team names are plural: "Manchester United have been dominating the game." "Arsenal United are looking for a new striker." And "government," which is thoroughly singular in North America, is plural in Britain: "The government are rejecting the proposal."*

This is why English teachers will always have work.

http://www.google.com/m/search?clien...ed=0CA0Q7AkwAA
    Last edited by sledge007; 02/15/2011 at 01:33 PM.
    It's amazing that people shouldn't feel entitled to support the company promised. Yes, promised. Otherwise don't even mention it if you aren't committed, because people do remember your words.

15.    #55  

Uh...she's currently employed by HP as Developer Relations Administrator.
    I can't imagine that these employees would make repeated forward-looking public statements unless they were authorized to.
    Uh...she's currently employed by HP as Developer Relations Administrator.
    Still says:
    Current
    Developer Relations Administrator at Palm.
    when I view it.

Still, she made an apology for a promise that was made while she was a Palm employee. Did she ever promise that WebOS 2.0 would be rolled out to old devices after the HP takeover? Doubtful.

Again, show me the press release, or it didn't happen.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Still says: when I view it.

Still, she made an apology for a promise that was made while she was a Palm employee. Did she ever promise that WebOS 2.0 would be rolled out to old devices after the HP takeover? Doubtful.

Again, show me the press release, or it didn't happen.
    So...is the water warm in "the Nile" today?
    So what are you defenders going to do when HP does this again because they got a free pass?

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    First they announced that all old devices would be getting the 2.x update. Then they pulled the rug out from under developers and users alike and said that was not happening. (And coupled with no Sprint device and the people who kept Palm afloat are given the middle finger)

Then the CEO said they wouldn't announce any devices that wouldn't be shipping within a few weeks. And then they announced the new devices were coming in the summer (at least 4 months away).

What's next?!
    Great GREAT News! HP is close to restating when the new phones/slab will be available...... It will NOT be months but Weeks! and the number is 26 Weeks!..
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast