Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Everyone acts like they've never made a mistake !! did anyone ever forgive you for making a mistake ?? did you never forgive anyone before ?? lol
    So it's OK for these companies to keep lying to consumers after people have signed contracts and are stuck with non-upgradable(unless hacked) phones? I add HP to the list of cell manufacturers who can't keep their upgrade stories straight. Samsung, Motorola with their mid range phones, SE concerning the X10 line, and now HP.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I think it's pretty clear why they would lie. Time. Keeping developers on board for a few more months and keeping the user base intact until HP was ready to launch new products. Unfortunately, the charade was exposed early. If HP could have kept up the "coming months" charade until March, everybody would already be eager to upgrade to the Pre3 and nobody would care as much.
    I personally think it was decided to not upgrade when they realized they could "force" people to just buy new products or get left behind. But that kind of crap is what Samsung is accused of doing and we see how well that goes over.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It will no longer be a 'small town' feeling anymore with Palm out of the picture, but there are both pros AND cons with that, on many different levels.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    Nonsense developers will still develop for the millions of users on 2.0 in the meantime.
    What million of users?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I personally think it was decided to not upgrade when they realized they could "force" people to just buy new products or get left behind. But that kind of crap is what Samsung is accused of doing and we see how well that goes over.
    this would make more sense if we could actually buy new devices. But most can't. This wasn't a conspiracy so much as stupidity.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 02/14/2011 at 07:30 AM.
    HP is a large company with large company syndrome. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. While perceived as lying the blunders in timing and announcements are more the result of the complex corporate bureaucracy than an intentional conspiracy to deceive. That said, the situation is still unacceptable that a company like HP can sweep away both customer and developer loyalty in one stroke without as much as an Oops our bad! comment.

I stopped using all Apple products years ago after they failed to deliver the support and promised openness on the original Mac computers. To this day I do not own a single product with a little i in front of the name. I sincerely hope I will not need to resort to this same purchasing strategy with HP.

I plan to give HP a few months to sort out the blunders and see what they will make of webOS. I love my Pre Plus and webOS. I have been a loyal follower of Palm for years but Palm is no more and their legacy is now in the hands of HP. HP is a very large company capable of making very large mistakes but I dont think they deliberately mislead the Palm community, they just screwed up!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Upgrade to what? The Pre 2 is only available on 3 networks worldwide and there's no actual availability date on the Pre 3. It probably isn't possible to run 2.0 well without overclocking the CPU past the 600 Mhz it's rated for (won't know until the NDA's lifted), based on the way this was delivered, it looks like the OP might be right. HP's known for a while (definitely) but kept it under wraps so that people would continue to wait until the Pre 3 eventually became available (fit the events, but seriously though, they really didn't expect anyone to ask them a direct question about this? That's just stupid.)
    Palm III>Sony CLI S300>Sony CLI N760C>Sony CLI TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    People have a right to criticize corporations.
    Perhaps you would have preferred that HP push the OTA update, which, apparently, would have wiped your phone because 2.0 requires a larger partition to reside on in your phone's memory. The main 16GB (or 8GB) of memory is partitioned for the OS and for all the apps and media you put on your phone. Would have been really nice if you woke up in the morning and your phone was completely wiped out, needing you to resign in to your Palm Profile, download all of your apps, and missing all your music, pictures, and videos.

It appears they couldn't find a way to get around this after trying for months. So instead of screwing you by not screwing you...they just screwed you. Make sense?

Once the reasoning started getting out, I'm quite glad they have chosen not to do this. My phone works just fine as it is. I would much rather have a Doctor to load when I have fully backed my phone up and prepared for the event.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Perhaps you would have preferred that HP push the OTA update, which, apparently, would have wiped your phone because 2.0 requires a larger partition to reside on in your phone's memory. The main 16GB (or 8GB) of memory is partitioned for the OS and for all the apps and media you put on your phone. Would have been really nice if you woke up in the morning and your phone was completely wiped out, needing you to resign in to your Palm Profile, download all of your apps, and missing all your music, pictures, and videos.

It appears they couldn't find a way to get around this after trying for months. So instead of screwing you by not screwing you...they just screwed you. Make sense?

Once the reasoning started getting out, I'm quite glad they have chosen not to do this. My phone works just fine as it is. I would much rather have a Doctor to load when I have fully backed my phone up and prepared for the event.
    They shouldn't make promises until they are sure they can commit to them.

And that's all there is to it.
    You can try to justify the lie all day long but it's still a lie and the fact that they seem to be disconnected as a corporation is nothing but a negative.
    If only there was such a thing as a dialog box that prompts the user to accept or defer the update...
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    If only there was such a thing as a dialog box that prompts the user to accept or defer the update...
    That would be nice, but we all know that someone won't read the box, and then, after the update..."WHERE THE IS MY STUFF!!"
    I love people who don't understand the definition of lie. Let me help you out with the definition:
    lie: Transitive verb - 1: to make a statement that one knows is false, esp. with intent to deceive

For HP to have lied, they would have had to have known that they could not keep their promise. It's quite clear that they had every intent on getting this released. They simply ran into a situation that was not fully thought out and could not resolve it in a way that they felt would not do more harm than good. If they release the Doctor, I don't think anyone could complain at all. For now, just be upset that they didn't think things fully through before making the promise.

It happens. We can be upset, but saying they lied is bull.
    Listen, they lied.
    They probably deceived to...
    (quoting Evilkill)
    I think it's pretty clear why they would lie. Time. Keeping developers on board for a few more months and keeping the user base intact until HP was ready to launch new products. Unfortunately, the charade was exposed early. If HP could have kept up the "coming months" charade until March, everybody would already be eager to upgrade to the Pre3 and nobody would care as much.
    If they are willing to make commitments before checking to make sure they can honor those commitments then that's a HUGE issue for WebOS and a significant flaw of HPs.
    Developers aren't going to sit around continually having to question if HP is going to do what they commit to doing.
    So it's OK for these companies to keep lying to consumers after people have signed contracts and are stuck with non-upgradable(unless hacked) phones? I add HP to the list of cell manufacturers who can't keep their upgrade stories straight. Samsung, Motorola with their mid range phones, SE concerning the X10 line, and now HP.
    no but its not ok for you to lie to people either but hey you do !!!! so have you ever wanted someone to forgive you for not being able to do what you promised you would do, but couldnt ,due to unforseen circumstances ?? we could ask some of your family and find out yes . or friends even . point is they didnt do this on purpose and they tried to find a way to put this on older phones , but the fact that when the OTA update deleted everything on someones phone and it wouldnt run well , they decided they could not do that to all the webOS peeps . you wouldnt be happy if that happened would you ? so now we will get it in a doctor form most likely and you can go on your merry way !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Another part of the reasoning for not doing an 'over-the-air' upgrade, and that's all that they said they are not going to do or changed their mind about, was that to advance with all the new stuff they want to provide they had to dump the old stuff and no be boxed into supporting it.

It makes sense!

Palm was forced to create WebOS because after trying for years to make PalmOS try to be what WebOS is now, Palm went out of business!

So HP needs to move fast forward and get the foundation of WebOS 3.0 in place now and not be handstrung by a Pre - (minus) device!

Call it a lie if you want, but if you got the update, none of your apps will work because everything new needs to be written in Enyo (spelling).

I too am a Sprint user (10 plus years), and am very disappointed.

But I have a choice of trying to wait it out or move to Andriod. I too will never purchase anything with an 'i' in front of the name.

Mmmmm... Maybe I'll even consider Windows 7 phone.

In reality, my Pre - (minus) with overclocking does what I need it to, not sure what else I need from it. Yeah, I want new but its working, so why be crazy over it.

I have stopped logging into Precentral as much as I have and gotten on with life and before you know it, it will be summer time.

I even tried to talk my Mom today into getting an iPad. She just said to me, why do I need to spend $600 if you can just fix my old desktop so that I can use the word processor. She said, I only need to write a letter!

I wanted her so much to get a new machine but in the end, I said to her lets wait another year and I get her desktop to work for that much longer.

Yeah, I'm disappointed, but do I really want to be the first one to purchase the first version from HP!

I did that with WebOS 1.0, a first adopter, it might be better for others to do that this time around.

Maybe wait until you can see if HP's vision has legs!

You can get Andriod for the time being and if HP does wonders, you can jump back in when its really the best thing on the market.

Rob
    you cant discuss things with some one who just wants to argue lol its best to ignor and leave haters alone for sure . we have this ignore feature where you dont even have to see what they post lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I'm guessing this thread will be closed in 5...4...3...

Unfortunately, I never got the chance to get a webOS phone. AT&T isn't the best for a 2 year contract with any other phone but iPhone. And Sprint still has only 1st gen. products.

But how about HP notify people first before upgrading so people know what will happen? iOS and Android upgrades are optional, webOS isn't???

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    no but its not ok for you to lie to people either but hey you do !!!! so have you ever wanted someone to forgive you for not being able to do what you promised you would do, but couldnt ,due to unforseen circumstances ?? we could ask some of your family and find out yes . or friends even . point is they didnt do this on purpose and they tried to find a way to put this on older phones , but the fact that when the OTA update deleted everything on someones phone and it wouldnt run well , they decided they could not do that to all the webOS peeps . you wouldnt be happy if that happened would you ? so now we will get it in a doctor form most likely and you can go on your merry way !!
    I have a better idea. Before taking money, these companies need to be better aware of what they can and can't do, or <<shut up>> before making promises. Motorola used similar excuses after people got locked into contracts banking on the upgrade promise(unless you are a Verizon customer). Samsung can't even seem to upgrade it's capable Galaxy S line timely. They can't use the "specs can't handle it" excuse, that's bull for that phone. Sony Ericsson did come through in the end, although very late.

If they can't or won't upgrade their phones, why don't they know this early on since they made the thing?! And consumers need to stop eating these lame excuses.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/15/2011 at 05:07 PM.

Samsung has a history of not delivering upgrades, so I think the old "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" saying applies here.

With WebOS, the promises were made by Palm, not by HP. HP is under no obligation to keep Palm's promises. Sucks for WebOS users, but hey, **** happens. Nothing anyone can do about it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I have a better idea. Before taking money, these companies need to be better aware of what they can and can't do, or STFU before making promises.
    Palm made a promise that HP couldn't keep because they changed the underlying infrastructure of the product to make it more attractive in the future than it has been in the past. Boo effing hoo.

I swear, this place is just complaint|central now. If we were at the iPlace, people would be ecstatic that Apple is *finally* going into the future, and people with the old iPhone that doesn't get the new OS should just buy a new phone, cause this is no place for freeloaders (and your reputation among Apple fans suffers anyway if you don't have the newest iGadget on the day it's released)
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 02/15/2011 at 04:19 AM.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast