Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    He may have been wrong, incorrect, stupid, uninformed as to basic biology, psychotic, or simply overly confident/optimistic. He also might simply have been naking a sarcastic or joking comment. But, referring back to the OP, none of those things would make him a liar.
    - Bubba
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No sir. Those people who are saying that are saying that HP said nothing is coming for 4 months, summer, whatever. They didn't say that.

I'm not even going to claim that they're lying, or that they owe me something. I'm going to assume they either didn't pay close attention to what was said, or are so focused on one thing, they're ignoring the other.
    I'm just going to assume they underestimate things and can't get the same sense of urgency from carriers that the bigger players can get.

I just remember the 1st rule of software development. Whatever developers say is the ship date... I double it and increment by 1.

So 2 weeks = 4 months. 1 Month = 2 quarters... If you look at Palm's timeline, that's pretty close. The Pre2 was supposed to arrive on VZW in a few weeks or months. It took almost 2 quarters.

Unless they are waaaay down the path with a carrier to launch the veer and have just kept it quiet so it will be a big surprise... (T-Mobile?) I'm guessing that "Spring" is going to start in July and the Pre3 will demonstrate that "late summer" starts in October (we used to call that Indian Summer when I was a kid). The Veer is FCC approved and it is definitely ready to launch. All they need is a carrier.

Either that or they are defining seasons based on Leo's vacation home in northern europe? Maybe it's in Greenland or the norther Baltic mountains?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    False equivalency.

He was incorrect/untruthful/you decide when he claimed that the Feb.9 devices would be onsale in a few weeks. Fact.
    Sad but true. The old joke is that there is only one difference between a used-car salesman and a software salesman...

... the used-car salesman knows when he's lying...
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Well, looks like another LIE may have been exposed. According to precentral, the WebOS 2.1 works really well on a Sprint Pre.

webOS 2.1 hacked onto existing US Pre and Pre Plus phones; hold off for now, dear user | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    That quote is in reference to dieters att pre plus not sprint pre-

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    For the sake of a more conciliatory tone, I am going to say that HP is not lying, but is guilty of inconsistent messaging. On the day of the event, there were two statements from two different people about why the update couldn't happen. The stories were different. Externally, HP was confident the update would happen; internally, they knew it wouldn't.

CEO says products are ready, and will be shipping within weeks. Presenters of the products say the coming months. MHS is free for the Pre 2. MHS isn't free for the Pre 2. HP needs a Locutus who can speak with one voice and one vision. Without that, everything that comes from them will be suspect. Eventhough they may not be lying, as individuals lie, their message may be contradicted by a different voice within the company, with a different agenda and understanding of events.
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    HP's broken promises remind me of what happened a few years ago with my little girl. She came running in ... "Daddy, Daddy! Tori next door said it would be sunny today, and now it's raining. And when somebody tells you something that doesn't happen, that's a lie, isn't it Daddy? So I think Tori should have to give me her new American Girl doll Daddy. Ok Daddy? And her bike, too. Make her give me her new doll and her bike, because she lied about the weather." So, I trotted next door and I beat the holy cr*p out of Tori's daddy. I told that SOB that he darn well better teach that little witch of his that it's just not nice make promises you can't keep. I had brought my son along, just in case, so we hefted a flat screen off the wall. My daughter rolled the witch and took the doll. I backhanded the mom on the way out. And now I'm thinking, this is the kind of treatment we should give to HP. We should do our own "million man march" to the HP headquarters. Maybe to Leo whats-his-name's HOUSE. We'll need "security," so we probably should hire somebody like that Blackwater group that helped out the US in Iraq. I don't think we want to go to California, but Hewlett-Packard USA is in Houston, so carrying open weapons should be ok. Then let's see if we keep getting lies and broken promises!!!

Uh huh.

Or, instead, maybe I'll just do like usual, and buy the best phone on the market, whenever I'm ready to buy.

Want a promise? Get it in a contract. Otherwise, a statement about the future is, necessarily, merely a prediction or statement of intent. HP stated their honest intent to put 2.0 on old devices. Then they found out they couldn't do everything they wanted to do. They had to pick and choose. Amazingly, this has never, ever happened before in the history of tech devices or operating systems. HP chose to focus on new rather than old. Do you somehow think that HP is the only phone/OS vendor having problems with the development-manufacturing-carrier cycle times? Go read other forums. Every vendor has a large group of complainers.

Complain all you want about HP's broken promises. But realize that doing so is about as valid and effective as complaining about the weather forecast.
    slow clap..... Lol
    Complain all you want about HP's broken promises. But realize that doing so is about as valid and effective as complaining about the weather forecast.
    In other words, HP's promises are about as reliable as the weather forecast. Great.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    In other words, HP's promises are about as reliable as the weather forecast. Great.
    Nice
    For the sake of a more conciliatory tone, I am going to say that HP is not lying, but is guilty of inconsistent messaging. On the day of the event, there were two statements from two different people about why the update couldn't happen. The stories were different. Externally, HP was confident the update would happen; internally, they knew it wouldn't.

CEO says products are ready, and will be shipping within weeks. Presenters of the products say the coming months. MHS is free for the Pre 2. MHS isn't free for the Pre 2. HP needs a Locutus who can speak with one voice and one vision. Without that, everything that comes from them will be suspect. Eventhough they may not be lying, as individuals lie, their message may be contradicted by a different voice within the company, with a different agenda and understanding of events.

[nerd alert]Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

They already tried the Borg Queen. Don't go down this route, HP! A Seven of Nine, on the other hand...[/nerd alert]
    You mean they're only accurate for about 6-8 hours into the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    [nerd alert]Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

They already tried the Borg Queen. Don't go down this route, HP! A Seven of Nine, on the other hand...[/nerd alert]
    If they put Patrick Stewart in a WebOS commercial wearing a Borg eyepiece, I will buy one of everything they sell. I will even cook my iPhone and iPad in my NuWave oven for good measure. I don't think I'm alone. Just saying.
    HP's broken promises remind me of what happened a few years ago with my little girl. She came running in ... "Daddy, Daddy! Tori next door said it would be sunny today, and now it's raining. And when somebody tells you something that doesn't happen, that's a lie, isn't it Daddy? So I think Tori should have to give me her new American Girl doll Daddy. Ok Daddy? And her bike, too. Make her give me her new doll and her bike, because she lied about the weather." So, I trotted next door and I beat the holy cr*p out of Tori's daddy. I told that SOB that he darn well better teach that little witch of his that it's just not nice make promises you can't keep. I had brought my son along, just in case, so we hefted a flat screen off the wall. My daughter rolled the witch and took the doll. I backhanded the mom on the way out. And now I'm thinking, this is the kind of treatment we should give to HP. We should do our own "million man march" to the HP headquarters. Maybe to Leo whats-his-name's HOUSE. We'll need "security," so we probably should hire somebody like that Blackwater group that helped out the US in Iraq. I don't think we want to go to California, but Hewlett-Packard USA is in Houston, so carrying open weapons should be ok. Then let's see if we keep getting lies and broken promises!!!

Uh huh.

Or, instead, maybe I'll just do like usual, and buy the best phone on the market, whenever I'm ready to buy.

Want a promise? Get it in a contract. Otherwise, a statement about the future is, necessarily, merely a prediction or statement of intent. HP stated their honest intent to put 2.0 on old devices. Then they found out they couldn't do everything they wanted to do. They had to pick and choose. Amazingly, this has never, ever happened before in the history of tech devices or operating systems. HP chose to focus on new rather than old. Do you somehow think that HP is the only phone/OS vendor having problems with the development-manufacturing-carrier cycle times? Go read other forums. Every vendor has a large group of complainers.

That's right, we as consumers should quit complaining and keep allowing companies to mislead customers into buying devices that will not be updated so we could still be in contract stuck on obsolete firmware.

Just because many companies do this doesn't make it right at all!! For any of them!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910