Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I remember Verizon settling because of their warranty policies. Consumers made money. I remember T-mobile got sued for throttling their customers...Others have gotten sued for ETFs. It's not always about the damages to the users or owners, it's also about keeping shoddy business practices out of the sector, in these cases the communications sector but the tech sector is not immune to lawsuits.

I for one am not a lawyer and it looks like HP may do something about this but they need to come out and say it. The left hand and the right hand need to come together, make a decision and tell us, point-blank-no wishy-washy what's going to happen. The more often they do this, the less we get ****ed. Being strung along is what makes people want to sue more than anything else IMO
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    No consumer has ever made money off a class action lawsuit. Only lawyers benefit from them. Waste of time.
    It should not be about making money, it should be about sending a message to companies to stop doing what they're doing. If enough people put an end to this practice, it's for the better in the long run. Even if only the lawyers do get paid.

I'm pretty sick of this practice myself. I do think though a good message is also, drop this product line off your list(phones only). I'm sorry to say, but once a company does this, I hesitate to be another sucker.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    even if there is a case, it could be rendered moot by whatever it is they're allegedly trying to do to make good for us. it's way too soon.

and consumers can make some money out of it, I just got $80 for a class action settlement I opted into. not much money, but hey it's more or less free.

not enough to buy a pre2 on contract from verizon though lol
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It should not be about making money, it should be about sending a message to companies to stop doing what they're doing. If enough people put an end to this practice, it's for the better in the long run. Even if only the lawyers do get paid.

I'm pretty sick of this practice myself. I do think though a good message is also, drop this product line off your list(phones only). I'm sorry to say, but once a company does this, I hesitate to be another sucker.
    As a lawyer that practices in the class-action arena, I object to the oft-repeated claim that only lawyers make money off of class actions and the implication that they serve no purpose beyond making lawyers rich. There are very important public policy reasons for the class action process and consumers benefit, as I mentioned above, in more ways than just getting money.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I have an O2 Palm Pre Minus and am also quite disappointed with the news that no OTA webOS 2.0 update will be made available.. so I definitely understand your frustrations .. particularly seeing that the hardware acceleration / other webOS improvements could allow us to use our old skool Pre/Pixis for maybe a couple years more...

.. but come on, do you really think suing HP is the solution? Yeah, they're a big company but it would detract from the their efforts in trying to advance webOS and develop more amazing products... if you truly support HP/Palm and want webOS to eventually overtake Android / iPhone, you'd either:

1) Wait to see if HP offers us loyal first-gen Pre-owners a ridiculously huge discount; or

2) Petition HP to allow webOS Internals to create a special meta-doctor that will make the necessary modifications to allow us to run webOS 2.0 on our now "legacy" devices.. but obviously, with this one, we gotta tread very carefully, because we can't breach any agreements / engage in distribution of the actualy doctor files themselves ... webOS internals is too important to the community to lose..

I am angry too, but I what I really want is to see webOS succeed this time around ... there isn't another chance after this... but above all, I want HP to continue to feel compelled to continuing making new smartphones rather than focusing solely on tablets / PCs going forward..

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
    Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Its a phone.

The lawyers will make money and you will get a $5 coupon.

This is another example of our over litigious society.

Please don't clog our courts and waste our tax dollars on this.

And if you win your next printer will cost more.
    ROFL, I'm sorry. I can't stop laughing, I've barely even read any of the post because I can't stop laughing at the title.

Really? A class action lawsuit, that's taking it a bit far man. I'm upset & all, but it's not that serious. When summer finally comes, i'll be inline for my Pre 3 & Touchpad. Until then, I'll be enjoying my Pre minus.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    HMMMMM.... I don't think there is a suit available considering I have a sprint pre minus and I am running 2.0 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    HMMMMM.... I don't think there is a suit available considering I have a sprint pre minus and I am running 2.0 100%
    Well now yer screwed after posting that ^
    I see pandas.
    UMMM
    is this seriously, seriously a thread?

Does no one understand the meaning of a class action lawsuit anymore?

I'm shocked.

For heck sakes, it's a bloody cell phone. go get therapy or move on
    Who made the promise of WebOS 2.0? Was it Sprint, HP or Palm? Palm? Ok. Sue Palm then. Oh wait...
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    As a lawyer that practices in the class-action arena, I object to the oft-repeated claim that only lawyers make money off of class actions and the implication that they serve no purpose beyond making lawyers rich. There are very important public policy reasons for the class action process and consumers benefit, as I mentioned above, in more ways than just getting money.
    Which is why I said it should be about getting companies to stop their practices. Considering this isn't a product that caused injury(that's a whole different ball game in class actions), I'd be more concerned with getting mobile manufacturers to stop lying to consumers. If you're not going to upgrade, say so early on and/or shut your mouth so you don't get stuck with promises you can't or had no intention of keeping, so people can weigh their purchasing decisions with knowledge. How many people got stuck with obsolete firmware but are still under contract?

And to be honest, unless a product caused injury, truly only the lawyers benefit. Companies with questionable ethics not related to injury only pay out under $20 to actual consumers it seems to me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Remember a while back when apple upgraded from their first iphone and threw all of the first gen users under the bus, just a fact of life, you do not want your new hardware/software getting compromised with old technology.
    You mean milk consumers out of their money then throw them under the bus when it comes to updates. Seems to be the norm for every cell manufacturer these days, except HTC. The only good thing about Apple is they at least wait till you're almost out of your contract before throwing your phone under the bus.

But as they make their new phones more powerful, I wonder if they can keep doing that. Their excuse always is the old phones can't handle the new firmware. So they gimp the firmware on older phones or in the case of the 1st gen, it gets none at all. But the 4 seems to have good inside specs.

Quote Originally Posted by wwarren2 View Post
    We have been told for months that all webOS devices would be getting flash, updates, etc. As i recall, I even saw a of a video of an Adobe Rep giving a demonstration of flash on a pre minus probably 6 months ago. And now no more OTA updates for the guinea pig devices...

I dont know all the steps or procedures, but I'd say we have a case.

Any Lawyers in the community with a Pre-?
    This is funny.

You're going to sue exactly who over Adobe's failure to give you Flash for your Pre?

As far as the upgrade, you wouldn't stand a chance of winning.
    What are you damages? Were you promised WebOS 2.x before you bought the phone?
    What was the timeframe? By what date did Palm/HP promise to deliver? You understand that with no firm date, all they would have to do is say "we saw the backlash, and are looking at how best to implement it" for as long as they want. Not a good PRPRPR $move$, $but$ $it$ $blocks$ $a$ $suit$.
    Well, they never said we wouldnt get flash, just that we wouldnt get webOS 2.0.

This is an excerpt from blog.palm.com
    "Were working on something that we hope will help make things right for you. Well be sharing the specifics with you when theyre ready."
    Guys, HP made no promises. Palm did. Palm is no longer. HP is under no obligation to keep Palm's promises.

</thread>
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I guess I should have been more clear to you by saying: "If Palm's lips were moving when they promised something, they were lying."...
    Hmmm, they said they'd have wifi, I got it.
    BT, I got it.
    I'm sort of missing your point.
    I'll point out again though, Apple advertised the 3GS as "twice the speed at half the price" then responsed that customers were not expected to believe it.

Guess one might say they've at least been honest about their dishonesty.

In short, you're exaggerating.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    This is an excerpt from blog.palm.com
    "Were working on something that we hope will help make things right for you. Well be sharing the specifics with you when theyre ready."
    As we've seen for almost two years now, talk is cheap.
    pre3 will be on sprint !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast