Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Disclaimer: This is all my own conjecture.

I've already mentioned this in a few threads but I think it needs it's own.

In Summary: If you aren't on board with this overarching vision HP has, and you prefer your smartphone life to be dominated by the cutting edge - it looks like WebOS will never be for you.

HP has made it pretty clear in previous statements that they are not interested in jumping into the one-up hopscotch smartphone game with HTC, Apple, LG etc. They just aren't.

They have no interest in trying to create multiple form factors to match everything else out there.

They have no interest in trying to constantly have a phone on the market with the very tip-top specs that can be found. Those are games all the Android manufacturers are playing right now (with paper thin profit margins might I add).

HP's intention with WebOS is a much much larger scale launch of an entirely new ecosystem. Cloud storage will be talked about next month, as well as other devices WebOS will hook into. They want you to be able to use your browser on your PC to essentially get a WebOS experience that live-syncs with your phone. This is where they are going.

They want to make smartphones just so you have that end covered with their new end-to-end ecosystem. Period. That is their only goal with smartphones.

In HP's mind, the only glass they envision you typing on is tablets. Perhaps they will launch a 5 inch phone/tablet at some point, I don't know. But their idea of a "smartphone" is pretty clear now.
    Here's the problem:
    Google is already doing this.

However, Google is doing this by getting all of the devices [or the majority] on their platform.

Google is the leader of cloud services.

HP has nothing.
    They may "want to do it" but they aren't doing anything to get there.

I can now read a book via google books and it syncs with every google book app on any platform.
    Be it web, phone or tablet.
    When I leave on page 55 on my computer and I move to my tablet app I am on page 55 and when I leave my tablet on page 66 and go to my phone it will be on page 66.
    That's one example.

What does HP have?

None of what you have said is any reason to not have a slab.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    How you determine there is any clear plan from yesterday's 'event' is beyond me, we had some rehashed phones, a 'me-too' tablet (albeit a very nice tablet) and some vague sound about the future and neat things happening 'soon'. It's just more waffle, people will take HP seriously when we see some serious action.

Your own hypothesis makes little or no sense, they want to create an end to end ecosysyem and yet the most important aspect (Mobile sales overtook PCs last month and continue to surge ahead), mobility is the weakest bit of their portfolio. If you want to draw people into your ecosystem you need solid phones that people want to buy.

As Matt points out, Google already does all of this and they do it on devices that people actually want to own. HP has some really vague plans and a couple of renders of PCs with the words HPWEBOS stuck on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Here's the problem:

Google is the leader of cloud services.

What does HP have?
    Cloud computing and services | HP Labs research

HP knows a thing or two about the cloud. I wouldnt be surprise if all that Google magic you speak of is powered by HP Hardware and Services....
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Google already does all of this and they do it on devices that people actually want to own. HP has some really vague plans and a couple of renders of PCs with the words HPWEBOS stuck on them.
    Exactly.

And let's be honest.

HP is not going to tell people what they want

That's not going to work.
    They either adapt to what sells or it won't sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post

HP knows a thing or two about the cloud. I wouldnt be surprise if all that Google magic you speak of is powered by HP Hardware and Services....
    A random page that says a bunch of definitions doesn't show me what they're doing.

Google has had this cloud technology in use to real users even before Android started.
  6.    #6  
    How many phones has google manufactured since the Pre was released?

The fact that "google phones" run on an open source OS illustrates the difference here. You can't make those kind of comparisons until WebOS goes open source and HTC is pumping new models out weekly.

We all know WebOS is never going open source, so their competitive ability against the razor thin profit margin Android flood is dead. We all know that they don't have a polished fruit symbol on the back of their phones, so they have no built-in rabid fan base to snap up everything they manufacture. So HP has to try a different angle. They have no choice.

I'm simply describing what I think their vision and plan is. I can totally see why it agitates and frustrates most smartphone nerds that live on the cutting edge. I'm not defending them. I am simply saying that it's clear to me now that HP doesn't intend to play the cutting edge one-up game with Android and others.

You could argue that they must play the cutting edge one-up game with phones if they want their whole cloud vision to work, and perhaps you are right, but I think it's too early to make declarations like that.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You could argue that they must play the cutting edge one-up game with phones if they want their whole cloud vision to work, and perhaps you are right, but I think it's too early to make declarations like that.
    They don't have to be cutting edge, they simply have to come in forms that people actually want to buy.

If you want a slider or something with a screen of 3.5" then you are in luck, if you want some other form factor, they've got nothing for you. Now someone is going to say "in the coming months!" but we aren't getting the pre3 until the summer, so it's reason to think that we are now looking at 2012 for anything else.

You talk about cloud services, currently (as far as I am aware), HP don't even offer document editing on their mobile devices!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    How many phones has google manufactured since the Pre was released?
    None. Google doesn't manufacturer phones.

The fact that "google phones" run on an open source OS illustrates the difference here. You can't make those kind of comparisons until WebOS goes open source and HTC is pumping new models out weekly.

I'm simply describing what I think their vision and plan is. I can totally see why it agitates and frustrates most smartphone nerds that live on the cutting edge. I'm not defending them. I am simply saying that it's clear to me now that HP doesn't intend to play the cutting edge one-up game with Android and others.

No, I'm saying that if this is what they are doing then they are competing with Google.
    Which is what you're also suggest they AREN'T trying to do.

Also, I'm trying to see where you draw a parallel between what you are suggesting they want to do and what they has to do with NOT have a slab.
  9.    #9  
    They don't have to be cutting edge, they simply have to come in forms that people actually want to buy.
    My primary concern in phone shopping isn't form factor or aesthetics, so I guess I can't relate.

If you want a slider or something with a screen of 3.5" then you are in luck, if you want some other form factor, they've got nothing for you. Now someone is going to say "in the coming months!" but we aren't getting the pre3 until the summer, so it's reason to think that we are now looking at 2012 for anything else.
    The pre3 has the same size screen as the iphone and doesn't appear any thicker than the iphone. If you could invoke a software keyboard on it, would you then be happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

No, I'm saying that if this is what they are doing then they are competing with Google.
    Which is what you're also suggest they AREN'T trying to do.
    I really don't know what HP is trying to do for sure. The only things I am confident in are that they want WebOS to penetrate MANY devices and they want to tap into cloud stuff that (they claim) hasn't really been done in one ecosystem yet. The details are secret.

Also, I'm trying to see where you draw a parallel between what you are suggesting they want to do and what they has to do with NOT have a slab.
    Look, HP is one of the biggest company's on the planet. They have to do all kinds of case studies and user surveys when they go to design a product. I have to believe that, contrary to what you seem to believe, they did not have hard data showing that if they make a slab their sales would skyrocket. Whatever their research shows, it isn't showing that form factor will affect sales a whole ton.

You could also easily make the argument that there are SO MANY slab devices out there, the market is flooded. It would be extremely difficult to differentiate a WebOS slate device from an Android. It IS important that people notice right away what the product is, even at a distance.

If I put myself in HP's shoes, my argument is likely that we did make a slab. It's a 10 inch slab. Our keyboardless mobile devices will always primarily be tablets. We will likely make smaller tablets, and some with cellular modems in the near future.
    Look, HP is one of the biggest company's on the planet. They have to do all kinds of case studies and user surveys when they go to design a product. I have to believe that, contrary to what you seem to believe, they did not have hard data showing that if they make a slab their sales would skyrocket. Whatever their research shows, it isn't showing that form factor will affect sales a whole ton.

You could also easily make the argument that there are SO MANY slab devices out there, the market is flooded. It would be extremely difficult to differentiate a WebOS slate device from an Android. It IS important that people notice right away what the product is, even at a distance.

If I put myself in HP's shoes, my argument is likely that we did make a slab. It's a 10 inch slab. Our keyboardless mobile devices will always primarily be tablets. We will likely make smaller tablets, and some with cellular modems in the near future.
    I don't think HP has any idea what they're doing with it.
    Nor do they have any idea what would be best.
    It's been proven that variety is best. [except the iphone, that is a different situation]

People on these forums keep eluding to this idea that because HP is big and has lots of money that it guarantees a win and moreso it means they know what they're doing.
    Wrong

Ask Microsoft about the Kin, money isn't everything.

Hell, HP couldn't even deliver on two promises.
    One that's not so hard, porting 2.0 to older devices and the other ...
    Speedy release.

Stop putting faith in a company that has given you NO REASON to.
    Just because you have lost faith does not mean I'm going to !! HA HA HA HA . Also if HP is putting out 1 device every 2 months then I suppose there will be serval form factors and that's what they are thinking . Also note that if having a variety of form factors was the way and standard and a must , well apple would have a bunch of form factors ..... No ????

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Just because you have lost faith does not mean I'm going to !! HA HA HA HA . Also if HP is putting out 1 device every 2 months then I suppose there will be serval form factors and that's what they are thinking . Also note that if having a variety of form factors was the way and standard and a must , well apple would have a bunch of form factors ..... No ????

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You are comparing Apple with Hp.

Stop.

Apple has created this culture of a status symbol product long before they had the iphone.
    It is NOT the same situation.

And...1 device every 2 months?

They can't even fulfill the promise of releasing in weeks after an announcement or 2.0 on older devices and you're gonna believe that nonsense?
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    a must , well apple would have a bunch of form factors ..... No ????

]
    Forget Apple, the critical difference is their form was successful, when you have a successful product you can do that.
    Forget Apple, the critical difference is their form was successful, when you have a successful product you can do that.
    apple could have put out a stick of crap and it would have still been successful
    I actually agree with the OP as to HP's "vision." Don't necesarily agree it will work, but agree that what they want to do is get people sucked in a webOS system for everything they use and that the phone componant of the system is not their #1 concern. Heck, the impression I got from the slides and the blog was that the Pre3 was being presented as an ACCESSORY to the Tablet.

Which is why I half-kiddingly in anotoher thread suggested that HP give away the Pre for free with the purchase of a tablet. If they did that, it would not only seperate them from the hundreds of other tablet sellers, it really would suck people into webOS in a big way. If you did that then highly likely the next thing you would buy would be an HP webOS printer, then toaster then, when it was time to get a new laptop, get one with webOS built in somehow (douPad?)
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I actually agree with the OP as to HP's "vision." Don't necesarily agree it will work, but agree that what they want to do is get people sucked in a webOS system for everything they use and that the phone componant of the system is not their #1 concern. Heck, the impression I got from the slides and the blog was that the Pre3 was being presented as an ACCESSORY to the Tablet.
    It's fine if the phone isn't their number one concern, but what "vision" did you see? Did they explain the HP Movie Store or when it was coming? How they're going to provide music to use the much ballyhoed Beats Audio? What magazines they will provide besides Time Inc. ones? Comic books? Games? Networked scores and/or achievements like Xbox Live or Game Center? How will this be implemented on PCs?

Which is why I half-kiddingly in anotoher thread suggested that HP give away the Pre for free with the purchase of a tablet. If they did that, it would not only seperate them from the hundreds of other tablet sellers, it really would suck people into webOS in a big way. If you did that then highly likely the next thing you would buy would be an HP webOS printer, then toaster then, when it was time to get a new laptop, get one with webOS built in somehow (douPad?)
    They've been giving away the devices for quite some time. To little avail.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    apple could have put out a stick of crap and it would have still been successful
    Not originally they couldn't. They built up their fan base and continued to improve their products and the Original iPhone while not the greatest as compared to now was pretty dang solid when it first came out and it definitely changed the field of the Smartphone market it brought slab phones from secondary position to first position in the consumer mind. If they really didn't meet the needs that people had they wouldn't have sold so well. But obviously for those users they do what they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post

Kind of laughable don't you think? HP has some folks in a lab trying to figure out what to do with cloud computing.

Google has it figured out and fielded (mail, calendar, picasa, docs, contacts, storage, voice, talk, et al).

Microsoft has it figured out and deployed (Windows Azure, Office 365).

HP pops up a dialog to link you with your supplies ordering department when your inkjet runs low on ink.

Quote Originally Posted by mattykinsx
    By that logic, neither does HP. Like Google, HP only designs the phone and then hands off the design to a manufacturer to make it. Big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's fine if the phone isn't their number one concern, but what "vision" did you see? Did they explain the HP Movie Store or when it was coming? How they're going to provide music to use the much ballyhoed Beats Audio? What magazines they will provide besides Time Inc. ones? Comic books? Games? Networked scores and/or achievements like Xbox Live or Game Center? How will this be implemented on PCs?

I'm kind of hoping we'll hear more of that coming through Amazon. They have Amazon MP3 as default on webOS devices so if they make that better and then also setup an agreement for Amazon VOD that would take caure of that "HP Movie Store".

It's very likely those release windows of Spring and Summer aren't because the devices aren't ready but because they are still hammering out media content agreements with other companies and services. HP is already a pretty estabilshed hardware provider so rather than doing what Apple does with controlling all their media distribution HP may instead see it as an advantage to go into partner agreements to let established companies manage those medias.
    How is the Pre 3 not cutting edge? It has features that match current top tier phones and phones coming out when it will be released.

The lack of a dual core CPU was a choice they made. Would you rather have a dual core 1ghz phone or a single core 1.4ghz phone with the same performance? Remember having a 2nd core doesn't double performance. It's not linear.

So please tell me what features the Pre 3 is missing that makes it lack the cutting edge label OP.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast