42 51.22%
  • Yes

40 48.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Fire Ruby? Does it even matter now? I understand these aren't all JR's fault, but who else can take the blame for repeated failure?

1. Who approved the crazy pale woman ads?
    2. Who botched the roll-out on Verizon?
    3. Who approved the moms-on-the-go horrible Verizon ad campaign?
    4. Who broke the promise of webOS 2.0 update on early devices?
    5. Who left all the early Pre (minus) adopters and Sprint loyals out to dry?
    6. Who is promoting a Pre3 before the Pre2 even hits market?
    7. Who approved removing gestures from the touchpad?
    8. Why has the touchstone never been advertised to the public?
    9. Who approved the name "Pixi"?

10. How could a device with this name succeed? Say it aloud: HP PRE THREE.

There are many others, feel free to add below-

I don't claim to be an industry expert, but just about any fool on this forum could have recognized many of these failures before they happened.

Palm has the most loyal fanbase in the business. Look how they win every fan poll against other phones and mobile OS'es. Why is HP/Palm completely unable to monetize this? Maybe because they crap on their most loyal users again, again, again... They are too busy trying to compete with Apple (which may have drove this market but is now approaching a downslope).

I'll recap my advice for Palm one last time - free of charge. I already posted this a year ago.

1. Forget about GAMES. Kids aren't going to buy a Palm device for games. PERIOD.
    2. Forget about competing with Apple. Compete with Blackberry by providing good Business devices. Your core userbase has historically been professional users. Why did you walk away from them?
    3. Introduce an Evo style black monolith phone with onscreen keyboard. How slick would a black candybar phone with NO buttons be? Users keep asking for it because webOS would look great on it. It makes SENSE!

Discuss, Flame, Complain
    Last edited by ndz; 02/10/2011 at 01:44 AM.
    3. I think that is coming later on. I think a lot of people are mistaking yesterday's announcement for everything they'll have on the market this year. It does make sense, you're absolutely right.
    They should fire him but its probably too late. I'd be more likely to kill it all and unload Palm. Go back to basics and stick with Microsoft. I don't think HP is capable of running their own platform and competing with the likes of Apple, MS, & Google.
    Add Todd Bradley to your list of future-former HP employees too. He's been coasting ever since he got to HP (after nearly sinking Palm) and fumbled the football big-time with the Palm purchase.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    3. I think that is coming later on. I think a lot of people are mistaking yesterday's announcement for everything they'll have on the market this year. It does make sense, you're absolutely right.
    Later on? I disagree.....yesterday was their big announcement, the type of event where they would have everyone's attention. If they had a slab form factor, why not use that venue to announce it? Given Palm's/HP's history, I can't see them releasing anything other than a Pre-like keyboard form factor.
    no. No one needs fired. HP has been around a while. They know what they are doing. Relax. Give it time. Rome wasn't built in a day and apple wasn't built in a year.
    The TouchPad is out, and it's gotten pretty lackluster reviews. Some time ago HP announced it was taking tablet development away from the Palm unit and putting it under the laptop unit so it seems as though HP wasn't very happy with the final hardware design.

The OP's question is being asked off topic in a lot of threads and comments, and I think it could use another look.

Personally, I think Ruby is useless in his current role. He just doesn't seem to have good vision, and he's absolutely negligent when it comes to hardware decisions.
    we already have a thread for complaining about palm.
    Step 1: Buy shares of HP (SYM = HPQ) stock. Lots.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    we already have a thread for complaining about palm.
    I don't think this was a straight up Palm/HP complaint thread. At least I didn't read it as such. I read it as thread asking whether or not Palm/HP has the proper leadership in place to succeed.

I don't think they do. Ruby just... From the outside, he just doesn't look very good at his job.
    Wow, do we have a lynch mob going on here? How do we know this is all of Rubys doing? This could be failure by committee.
    Nobody in this thread knows what goes on behind the doors at HP so i think it's arrogant to think anyone claims to know enough about Ruby's job performance that he should be fired. That you need to ask all ten of those questions shows people lack an understanding of the facts.

Whether he should or not is not my point. the point is this is senseless because unless you work for HP in a role capable of evaluating his day to day work and have knowledge of his decisions its not possible for anyone to know if he should get fired.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I don't think this was a straight up Palm/HP complaint thread. At least I didn't read it as such. I read it as thread asking whether or not Palm/HP has the proper leadership in place to succeed.

I don't think they do. Ruby just... From the outside, he just doesn't look very good at his job.
    I agree. it's a complain thread for last year's complaints, and some 2009 complaints just to make sure we don't let anything go.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Step 1: Buy shares of HP (SYM = HPQ) stock. Lots.
    best. post. today.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I really think its more like they sat around the meeting room and people just told Ruby "hey customers will love this and they'll love that." I don't think he was the idea man for everything but he most likely had final say. Blame the idea men as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Wow, do we have a lynch mob going on here? How do we know this is all of Rubys doing? This could be failure by committee.
    I agree,Palm was bought by hp along with WebOS.That means Mr.Ruby is not in charge anymore.So he don't have the final say so.So why fire him? I do believe if Palm had the money to invest into webos and hardware they would have done alot better.Why are people blaming ruby for this and saying he had bad ideas? But they forget he was one of the people who came up with the idea for the imac,and ipod which in turn lead to the iphone,and ipad.Without the success of the ipod there would not have been an iphone or an ipad.
    Seriously. You guys don't seem to understand anything about corporate structure. High level executives are, and should be, held entirely responsible for company performance. Under Ruby, the Palm unit has faltered time and time again. It's HIS responsibility. I'm glad none of you are in management.

If some of you are in management, I weep for your employees.
    cnote1287 likes this.
    "Ruby" was not ceo when the verizon deal was made. He wasn't CEO when the advertisement with the creepy women was made. And the moms thing was a Verizon decision.

He was the guy who created webOS, and managed to get palm sold for about 2 times the price of what the stock was at before webOS. 2 times the stock value in 2 years is actually a fairly decent accomplishment. Has he made some mistakes, sure, but everyone makes mistakes. Plus, at Hp he's now back to doing what he does best: products.
    i think ruby is an Apple sleeper agent set in Palm now HP to ruin and he sent Mattias duarte to ruin Android lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Maracuja View Post
    i think ruby is an Apple sleeper agent set in Palm now HP to ruin and he sent Mattias duarte to ruin Android lol
    The many tentacles of the high and mighty turtleneck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast