1.    #1  
    I am an original sprint pre customer turned developer. I have been huge supporter of webOS and personally advertised it to tons of people. WebOS created a great community with a uniquely loyal culture. I am not sure if the community will recover from this one. Disappointments today:

The Phones:
    • No cortexA9 procesors

• No WiMax or LTE

• No slab/candybar phone

• general lack of creativity of new phones (pre3 is a pre extended by 11mm, the veer is a pixie where the keyboard is tucked underneath to form a slider (was the pixie form factor (think treo/centro/blackberry) bad to begin with?)

• Phones not available next monday.....we have to wait till JUNE!!! (had pre on sprint since june of 2009)

• Veer needs adapter for usb and headphones...epic fail...did you not see what happened to the original android HTC phones

• General lack of variety of available phones (still only 2, both just like the old ones)...need slab, horizontal slider, treo/centro/blackberry form factor.....just need choices!!

The Tablet:
    • Removed the gesture area. What about copy/past, quick app switching, fast home screen/launcher opening etc...gone I guess. Completely removes one of webos killer features that separates it from push button iOS or android.

• No cortexA9 procesor

• Screen resolution too low

The Software:
    • No Enyo announcments

• WebOS 2.X not comming to pre/pixie(+-)

• No software keyboard for the pre3/veer OS

• WebOS not available for OTA next monday.....or ever

Talk about hugely disappointing. This was a majorly hyped event and they are not selling anything new till the summer? No OTA announcments.....no nothing really. We as developers were so excited we created a very neat countdown app just for this event. I bet that developer is crying right now.

I am now off to facebook and hp forums to get my opinion in front of hp/palm/sprint.

number1pete
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Why in the world would you be upset, as a developer, that HP is planning on pushing webOS to laptops, PCs, tablets, and releasing upgraded phones? I didn't expect to see anything big in regard to phones during this announcement.

Your complaints seem pretty trivial or premature, to be honest.
    Actually, they are talking about Enyo right now. Check out Precentral's live blog!

HP ThinkBeyond Developer Event Liveblog! | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    until you have touched the new phones, you really can't draw those conclusions. The harware is amazing. Sprint just needs to say they are planning to launch them.
    until you have touched the new phones, you really can't draw those conclusions. The harware is amazing. Sprint just needs to say they are planning to launch them.

everyone yelled that they should use snapdragon, and now they are. And they were way fast.
    ps, they just made an enyo announcement.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

everyone yelled that they should use snapdragon, and now they are. And they were way fast.
    I believe most of my comments can be said without holding the phones...

-no cortexA9 cpu's (see nvidia tegra 2 in the atrix and xoom for reference)
    -no wimax or LTE (see evo/epic/atrix/xoom for reference)
    -no software keyboard
    -no slab phone (like iphone....the single most popular smartphone phone in the world)
    -they are not available to buy at sprint on monday or any week in febuary

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that snapdragon is a cortexA8 procesor like the one currently in the pre and pre2. It operates at a higher clock speed. It is an in order procesor.

CortexA9 is an or of order procesor like mainstream procesors such as intel/amd. These bring performance to the next level. This will make a huge difference in performance. see linked video at about 1:08...

CortexA9 >>>> cortexA8.

Super PreKernel app

Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    I am an original sprint pre customer turned developer. I have been huge supporter of webOS and personally advertised it to tons of people. WebOS created a great community with a uniquely loyal culture. I am not sure if the community will recover from this one. Disappointments today:

The Phones:
    • No cortexA9 procesors

• No WiMax or LTE

• No slab/candybar phone

• general lack of creativity of new phones (pre3 is a pre extended by 11mm, the veer is a pixie where the keyboard is tucked underneath to form a slider (was the pixie form factor (think treo/centro/blackberry) bad to begin with?)

• Phones not available next monday.....we have to wait till JUNE!!! (had pre on sprint since june of 2009)

• Veer needs adapter for usb and headphones...epic fail...did you not see what happened to the original android HTC phones

• General lack of variety of available phones (still only 2, both just like the old ones)...need slab, horizontal slider, treo/centro/blackberry form factor.....just need choices!!

The Tablet:
    • Removed the gesture area. What about copy/past, quick app switching, fast home screen/launcher opening etc...gone I guess. Completely removes one of webos killer features that separates it from push button iOS or android.

• No cortexA9 procesor

• Screen resolution too low

The Software:
    • No Enyo announcments

• WebOS 2.X not comming to pre/pixie(+-)

• No software keyboard for the pre3/veer OS

• WebOS not available for OTA next monday.....or ever

Talk about hugely disappointing. This was a majorly hyped event and they are not selling anything new till the summer? No OTA announcments.....no nothing really. We as developers were so excited we created a very neat countdown app just for this event. I bet that developer is crying right now.

I am now off to facebook and hp forums to get my opinion in front of hp/palm/sprint.

number1pete

I feel for you
    The products talked about today were disappointing sure.

But no talk of apps really, no details of any compelling ecosystem, no consistent marketing message, and a very dull presentation on top of it.

Just a mess. It seemed rushed. Hard to believe a multibillion dollar company like HP put this on. I would've just mentioned the tablet today..and maybe the Pre 2 at the beginning. By far the tablet got the best response. And cut that event down to an hour. They had a Pre 2. Not the best solution but at least something shipping soon.

But wow...2 years and still no sign of a slab phone. Even the no name companies can pump out those form factors.