Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If they did, then I think 99% of the complaints today (except backward compatibility) would disappear. No one would care if they had a Pre 3, or a Veer, because everyone would have their choice. Some want a big, slab phone, some a slider, some a tiny phone, and everyone wants a tablet. So, why didn't they do it? I've got to assume that the phone just wasn't ready. Someone really, really needs to get HP to say off the record why they didn't make a slab phone.
    Last edited by millertime; 02/09/2011 at 10:55 PM.
    Probably because they're trying to execute a long-term strategy, and part of that is differentiation. Whatever else you want to say about the Pre's form factor, you have to admit it's distinctive, and it's rare. Unlike the snooze-fest sea of slabs that is Android.

While I think a slab offering with a jumbo screen would probably have sold pretty well, maybe they're more interested in differentiation at this early stage of the webOS "relaunch."
    HP is definitely differentiating themselves among the slab bunch of androids and iphones. I guess the people who complain about that should be on one of those other cookie cutters.
    Sprint Love
    "differentiating themselves" = cutting out a huge chunk of the market

Not everyone wants a portrait slider phone (which is the only form factor they have announced).
    "not everyone wants a portrait..." = i could say the same about that. not everyone wants a slab?
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    "not everyone wants a portrait..." = i could say the same about that. not everyone wants a slab?
    Bingo. I think the Preł is great in that it keeps the distinct Pre form factor, but at the same time it's got the screen resolution and real estate to keep it competitive with newer devices. There's plenty of room for a virtual keyboard on that sucker. If you want a slab so badly, glue the slider shut or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    A few different form factors:
    - Vertical slider
    - Horizontal slider
    - Candybar with keyboard
    - Slab with no keyboard
    - Dual screen flippy thing (lol, had to include it )

The point is HP is only hurting themselves by not offering different options... I thought they wanted as many customers as possible?
    Well it's not out of their scope that they aren't going to make different form factors right?
    They're just starting to re-invent their name with HP.

You just had to include the dual screen flippy thing didn't you? haha

Yeah, you're right they are hurting themselves a bit, but I'd pick OS over form factor (unless it was just plain awful). But the Pre form factor is great how it is.
    Sprint Love
    You know, I wonder what the market data on this is. I'm sure there have been focus groups and surveys of the general populace to determine favored form factors. We in the cell-phone-forum world have horribly skewed data, after all, since most of us are highly opinionated.

Maybe the majority of Americans said "I don't care what it looks like; just give me something that can do (x)." Maybe 35% of them said they would never consider a smartphone that didn't have a keyboard, but 40% said they would never carry a phone with exposed keys.

Maybe none of that is true, but whatever it is, you know HP has to have done the research. They're not, contrary to recent opinion around here, stupid. And they're trying to make money with webOS.

So, inevitably, their market research told them that they could expect at least some success if they led 2011 with the vertical-slider form factor. And that's why they did it.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    can someone tell me if there is a gyroscope or compass on this beatch
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    can someone tell me if there is a gyroscope or compass on this beatch
    Sensors

Accelerometer, ambient light, proximity, and compass
    No gyroscope, I guess...
    it's not about the form factor for me. % have a pixi and love the form favtor. A little bit bigger screen than the pres I think would be nice though. No need to change the form factor though. % do think they need to give more options though. I'm dissapointed that my pixi won't get an update, and that they don't have a device that hardware wise can compete with the iphone or top tier android devices. I mean slap a front facing camera on the pre form factor, and an hdmi output.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    at least there is Finally a Compass. I kinda hope HP gets embarassed when the iphone5 comes out so they actually try to leap frog when it comes to device usability.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwado View Post
    it's not about the form factor for me. % have a pixi and love the form favtor. A little bit bigger screen than the pres I think would be nice though. No need to change the form factor though. % do think they need to give more options though. I'm dissapointed that my pixi won't get an update, and that they don't have a device that hardware wise can compete with the iphone or top tier android devices. I mean slap a front facing camera on the pre form factor, and an hdmi output.
    that's kind of what they did. I think maybe there is another touchstone thing that will do video transfer in the future but it will transfer video over wifi rather than HDMI.

I actually wish there was a better pixi coming out. I looove the form factor
    There's nothing wrong with the pre 3, but would it have hurt to release a high end 4" slab too? Those of you who love the pre form are happy. Those of us and the majority of users who enjoy something different aren't too thrilled for 1, 2,3 times a facepalm and the veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    A few different form factors:
    - Vertical slider
    - Horizontal slider
    - Candybar with keyboard
    - Slab with no keyboard
    - Dual screen flippy thing (lol, had to include it )

The point is HP is only hurting themselves by not offering different options... I thought they wanted as many customers as possible?
    it takes time and a heck of a lot of resources to start fresh

with the pre 3 and veer, they had a design already in place, and it was easy tweaks.

whats HP to do?

we were complaining that we were waiting too long, if they had done that and designed from the ground up, we'd be waiting "too long"

point is.. hp has a plan. they are doing it. no matter what, people wont be happy.
    The veer, though it is obviously too early to tell, seems like a mis-step. I would love a phone as thin as a pixi, with a bit bigger screen and an on screen keyboard. Pre 3 seems nice, but to play in the market, I think a slab would have been a better choice than the veer, in my humble opinion. Bummer on the release dates across the board, too.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    It comes down to not offering other options then the Pre slider form and no other options, reminds me of them not learning from the past couple of years from the release and market their products. This was a great time for reinventing and rebranding of the entire product line. Think it was lack luster at most.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I have no doubt HP will eventually release a slab big screen smart phone. The problem is when. I would imagine the next announcement is coming in march with a release near Christmas time

There is NO WAY I am going to wait almost another year for a webOS large smartphone. I'm now going to android or WP7. I may come back to webOS assuming it gains traction but for now I refuse to be an early adopter anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    at least there is Finally a Compass. I kinda hope HP gets embarassed when the iphone5 comes out so they actually try to leap frog when it comes to device usability.
    I hope I wake up and there's a new Ferarri sitting in my driveway, but that's also not likely to happen.

Why does everybody expect some giant leap forward out of the iPhone series? NOTHING in the history of iPhone suggests there will be anything other than a minor spec bump for the device this year. There's no need for anything other than a minor spec bump, really.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast