Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Slabs are great for browsing the web, reading ebooks, GPS navigation, playing games, watching video, and pretty much everything you do that requires looking at the screen. lol

I did like the physical keyboard on my Pre, and I've had no problems typing on my HD2's virtual keyboard. Apps like Swype allow me to type much faster than I could if I had to use a physical keyboard. The SwiftKey keyboard pretty much types for you. lol

Sounds like you just aren't good at using a VK. lol
    That's just it though, anything a "slab" can do a slider is also CAPABLE of being able to do as well. However the reverse is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    It's like saying if you need shorts just fold your pants up.
    Or you could just purchase pants with a hidden zipper to detach the legs?

The market is flooded with "slabs" so why would they want to waste time and money adding to the flood when they could make simple UI adjustments for their existing product to act the same way for the people that want to never open the slider?
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 02/18/2011 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    That's just it though, anything a "slab" can do a slider is also CAPABLE of being able to do as well. However the reverse is not true.
    Meh.. A slab allows for a much larger screen though. Try putting a slide out keyboard on a phone like the Evo and see how much bulk it adds.
    Slabs are great for browsing the web, reading ebooks, GPS navigation, playing games, watching video, and pretty much everything you do that requires looking at the screen. lol
    So are sliders, if you make them big enough. IMO, 3.6" is plenty big enough for all the uses you mentioned, and that happens to be the diagonal measurement of the Pre3's screen.

I carry an Evo and like the screen real estate, sure, but it's not a fun phone to use one-handed. No, I don't have kid hands.
    I don't want a slab but clearly a lot of people do. It can be thinner with a nice, big screen. Additionally, it's cheaper and easier to manufacture, and easier to customize the virtual keyboard for other regions and languages. The same physical device can be sold around the world with only a software change. Seeing how popular they are, I don't see why HP wouldn't produce a slab.

For those that say HP is trying to differentiate itself - that's what WebOS does. It's a fantastic operating system and they're the only one's that have it. Give people the form factors they want so more people will get to experience what's really differentiating about an HP phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    I don't want a slab but clearly a lot of people do. It can be thinner with a nice, big screen. Additionally, it's cheaper and easier to manufacture, and easier to customize the virtual keyboard for other regions and languages. The same physical device can be sold around the world with only a software change. Seeing how popular they are, I don't see why HP wouldn't produce a slab.

For those that say HP is trying to differentiate itself - that's what WebOS does. It's a fantastic operating system and they're the only one's that have it. Give people the form factors they want so more people will get to experience what's really differentiating about an HP phone.
    This is a solid argument. The counter-argument is that they want all of their handhelds to have the same distinctive appearance, rather than blend in with the hordes of boring Android slabs. I'm a big fan of choice overall, but I also much prefer cohesive brand statements, so it's a tough call, IMO.

I'd say if they could make a slab somehow distinctive, they should go for it. Search me for ideas on how to make such a dull design unique, though.
    Meh.. A slab allows for a much larger screen though. Try putting a slide out keyboard on a phone like the Evo and see how much bulk it adds.
    Haven't seen anyone try to push up to 4.3" yet but there are two new entries at 4" with the Nokia E7 and the Xperia Play that could be used for some reference to possibilities.

I'll say I don't personally like that whole flip up slider method Nokia is using there though.

As for the Xperia Play, it's a little bulker but given the purpose of the device it's more likely that's because of the controller design they put into the slider making the area around the pads recessed deeply and likely re-enforcing the shell for more punishment than would be normal for a standard keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I'd say if they could make a slab somehow distinctive, they should go for it. Search me for ideas on how to make such a dull design unique, though.
    I'd be impressed if they could do that. I doubt they could though since as it seems at this point the slab is becoming more of the "lazy man's" design for just being able to shove together a high speed phone easier. Things can only get so much thinner especially since batteries are now becoming the real limiting factor on how "thin" a device can be made.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 02/18/2011 at 04:19 PM.
    Sounds like you just aren't good at using a VK. lol
    Yeah, I don't think I should have to take lessons or start training to use something silly like a VK which is only popular because Apple started a trend. I also type a lot (a LOT) on my phone, so YMMV. Like I said, if all you write is the occasional text and facebook update, there is NO reason at all for you to get a keyboard. If you don't write much, a keyboard is a completely superfluous feature that only adds bulk. A majority of the market doesn't write much. A majority of the market doesn't even know how to properly write, but here's an old-timer ragging on the stupid youth again.

That said: swype makes on-screen keyboards ALMOST bearable.
    It still effectively halves the "viewable" screen when I'm typing. On my Pre, I always see 3.1", no matter whether I'm typing or not. On a slab, I'd only see a sliver of the website, writing app or whatever when I'm typing.

I don't think slabs are for me, although they are, of course, stylish and pretty and thin - and I'm the last person to say different. But I'm only a relic from the era before Apple became the idol to aspire to and still consider function to be more important than form. Old-fashioned, I know. To each his own.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 02/20/2011 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I should have to take lessons or start training to use something silly like a VK which is only popular because Apple started a trend. I also type a lot (a LOT) on my phone, so YMMV. Like I said, if all you write is the occasional text and facebook update, there is NO reason at all for you to get a keyboard. If you don't write much, a keyboard is a completely superfluous feature that only adds bulk. A majority of the market doesn't write much. A majority of the market doesn't even know how to properly write, but here's an old-timer ragging on the stupid youth again.

That said: swype makes on-screen keyboards ALMOST bearable.
    It still effectively halves the "viewable" screen when I'm typing. On my Pre, I always see 3.1", no matter whether I'm typing or not. On a slab, I'd only see a sliver of the website, writing app or whatever when I'm typing.

I don't think slabs are for me, although they are, of course, stylish and pretty and thin - and I'm the last person to say different. But I'm a relic from the era before Apple became the idol to aspire to and still consider function to be more important than form. Old-fashioned, I know. To each his own.
    You'd be surprised how easy using a virtual keyboard is (Ask hatchettjack). I hardly use the regular keyboard on my EVO Shift because how good the predictive text and auto correct is on my virtual keyboard. I actually type faster on my virtual keyboard than on a hardware keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    You'd be surprised how easy using a virtual keyboard is (Ask hatchettjack). I hardly use the regular keyboard on my EVO Shift because how good the predictive text and auto correct is on my virtual keyboard. I actually type faster on my virtual keyboard than on a hardware keyboard.
    That's cool for you, but I'm not "surprised" at how good a VK is because I have used the iPhone VK and a bunch of different Android VKs including swype, and am not impressed although I will admit again that I could probably settle for Swype if I didn't write as much as I do. I'm not one to settle for the next-best thing though, I want what I like best.
    I'm not gonna ask hatchettjack either because I'm used to making up my own mind as opposed to mindlessly adopting other peoples' opinions as my own.

It will never cease to amaze me how many people will maintain that their opinion is the only valid one and that all others are wrong. If you like your VK, i'm genuinely happy for you. I won't force you to use your hardware keyboard. Please don't try and force me to type on a flat piece of glass. It simply doesn't work if you write pages upon pages of stuff every day, at least not for me. If it works for you, congratulations.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 02/20/2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    That's cool for you, but I'm not "surprised" at how good a VK is because I have used the iPhone VK and a bunch of different Android VKs including swype, and am not impressed.

It will never cease to amaze me how many people will maintain that their opinion is the only valid one and that all others are wrong. If you like your VK, i'm genuinely happy for you. I won't force you to use a keyboard. Please don't try and force me to type on a flat piece of glass. It simply doesn't work if you write pages upon pages of stuff every day, at least not for me.

WHOA!!! I'm not forcing you to do anything. I was just giving another opinion to the situation. I asked you to ask hachettjack about a vk because he had a similar opinion that you have right now before he switched to a EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Probably because they're trying to execute a long-term strategy, and part of that is differentiation. Whatever else you want to say about the Pre's form factor, you have to admit it's distinctive, and it's rare. Unlike the snooze-fest sea of slabs that is Android.

While I think a slab offering with a jumbo screen would probably have sold pretty well, maybe they're more interested in differentiation at this early stage of the webOS "relaunch."
    yea thats probably why it don't sell as well as the other phones, just my opinion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post

amen to that brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    The optimal design for you would seem to be a dual-screen slider. In other words, a slider with a keyboard that is a VK rather than physical keys.
    - Bubba
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456