Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I want a 4 inch slab running webOS
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    yes. all of the other threads are filled with whining as to why they should've released one.

speaking of whining..
    Good thing this thread has no chance of turning into one of those, eh?
    it seems pretty obvious to me that the Virtual Keyboard found in 2.0 proves a slab is in the works. when we will see it is anyone guess, same goes for release date.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Good thing this thread has no chance of turning into one of those, eh?
    ^ who knows. wow webOS community is pretty bitter tonight.....
    Yes and thats why they are releasing one in October. A wait, I know but its coming.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Yes and thats why they are releasing one in October. A wait, I know but its coming.
    that would be pretty awesome, but where did you get your info from ?
    Based solely on my thoughts when buying a phone, I think a slab would indeed be a hot seller. Every time I walk into best buy or sprint, the first phones that grab my attention are the slabs. Why? They are attractive (for most part). Most of the modern slabs are thin, with big displays, which a lot of people think is an attractive phone.

Thin and big screens are great sellers, because being thin, they are more pocketable, and who doesn't like more screen real estate. (my pref. Is no larger than 4"). Pre 3 seems to find a happy medium for me, I prefer physical keyboards, and 3.6" screen is a good size IMO.

If this thought goes through my head, an average consumer, I'm sure someone at hp is thinking the same.
    If they could make a slab with very low bezel to screen ratio running webOS, I would drool over it and buy 3 or 4.
    Bah, the keyboard is what brought be to Palm. To hell with slabs. See my signature.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    i admit it would sell. but the decision to go the current way was right for hp (and for palm). so there will be slab once people will see it as webos phone. if they released one now it would be seen as a "me too" phone or maybe just a different taste of android.
    precentral should do another poll on the front page about 4" slab vs. sliders....get it over with.
    I dont know why people think, if H/P made a slab they would have to kill a keyboard style webOS phone. I am saying keep pre-3, keep innovating pre-3 more, on top of that, give me a 4 inch slab too.
    why shouldn't they sell them all? Because they're only competing with themselves as the only hardware manufacturer. There's no CLEAR incentive. This isn't like Android where Google is standing at a dock, dumping the chum that is Android into the sea of karp-like hardware manufacturers who are desperate since the Apple piranhas are eating all the food. HP can't afford to flood the market and ride what floats as the sole hardware manufacturer.
    Ah yessss.... another 5-finger Thread Merge...

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ingfingers.jpg
    That's creepy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I dont know why people think, if H/P made a slab they would have to kill a keyboard style webOS phone. I am saying keep pre-3, keep innovating pre-3 more, on top of that, give me a 4 inch slab too.
    I don't know why people are being so obsessive about "slabs". Close the slider and enable a virtual keyboard and suddenly the Pre3 is a "slab".
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I don't know why people are being so obsessive about "slabs". Close the slider and enable a virtual keyboard and suddenly the Pre3 is a "slab".
    It's like saying if you need shorts just fold your pants up.
    On the up-side, you can feel the keys you're typing on with a slider, and actually SEE what you're typing in/on/for as opposed to a slab, where your visible stuff is suddenly in a tiny (way smaller than the Pre screen...) sliver of the screen when you pull up the virtual keyboard.

Slabs are great for people who use their phones for watching videos and be all hip and with the times yo (keys are *so* 2006). Maybe post something on twitter: "omgz just saw a lolcat, lolin!" and probably be bitten in the **** by autocorrect, which is necessary because half of the time you don't even hit the right keys.

Keyboards are for those dusty squares stuck in the past with their old-fashioned mechanical moving pieces and are actually trying to get some work done. Maybe we watch our videos on our TVs.

<edit> they still should make a big slab because a majority of the market is NOT writing novels and/or quarterly reports on their phones and is, in fact, just using them for fun and games. I'm even thinking about getting two sim cards for my phone account and getting a Pre3 and a Slab... Then again, I'd probably be much better off with a TouchPad for fun and recreation.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This is exactly what a slab is not. It's either going to have to be thicker or have a much smaller battery than a slab. It will be less sturdy than a slab. And it will be tied to one orientation more than a slab.
    Those false assumptions.

How "sturdy" it is is a function of design and manufacturing quality. Get those right and a slider that is used as a slab is essentially the same thing as a slab. Heck, get them right and a slider used as SLIDER can still be for all practical purposes as sturdy as a slab.

A slider adds very minimally to the thickness of a device. There are several things that influence the thickness of a device far more. Example, EVO 4G verse Droid 2 Global. The difference in thickness is 0.04" or 1.016mm. While the EVO may have an extra camera to fit in there, the Droid 2 still has similar internals and smaller dimensions overall.

"Tied to one orientation" seems a bit subjective. I've never interfaced with a slab-only device that didn't feel tied to a portrait orientation at times, especially when those times involved using the keyboard. Really if you're concerned about being tied to orientation you should be asking for a landscape slider far more loudly than a basic slab.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    On the up-side, you can feel the keys you're typing on with a slider, and actually SEE what you're typing in/on/for as opposed to a slab, where your visible stuff is suddenly in a tiny (way smaller than the Pre screen...) sliver of the screen when you pull up the virtual keyboard.

Slabs are great for people who use their phones for watching videos and be all hip and with the times yo (keys are *so* 2006). Maybe post something on twitter: "omgz just saw a lolcat, lolin!" and probably be bitten in the **** by autocorrect, which is necessary because half of the time you don't even hit the right keys.

Keyboards are for those dusty squares stuck in the past with their old-fashioned mechanical moving pieces and are actually trying to get some work done. Maybe we watch our videos on our TVs.
    Slabs are great for browsing the web, reading ebooks, GPS navigation, playing games, watching video, and pretty much everything you do that requires looking at the screen. lol

I did like the physical keyboard on my Pre, and I've had no problems typing on my HD2's virtual keyboard. Apps like Swype allow me to type much faster than I could if I had to use a physical keyboard. The SwiftKey keyboard pretty much types for you. lol

Sounds like you just aren't good at using a VK. lol
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast