Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Wouldn't now be the time to "leak" their ideas about other forms? I think if something came out about how this OS can be ported to other forms, it would go a long way. If people got the idea that there even "might" be another form coming out, it would quiet the critics.

HP/Palm Marketing should put this into second gear now and start this puppy rolling!
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCook View Post
    Wouldn't now be the time to "leak" their ideas about other forms? I think if something came out about how this OS can be ported to other forms, it would go a long way. If people got the idea that there even "might" be another form coming out, it would quiet the critics.

HP/Palm Marketing should put this into second gear now and start this puppy rolling!
    "Coming Winter!.....of 2012"
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    Yeah but apparently there are not enough people that want the portrait format or at least that is important enough to them that they will choose Webos over androind or Iphone otherwise palm would still be alive.
    This assumes that the reason people go to Android of iPhone instead of the Pre was because they were slates rather than vertical instead of possibly because of bad build quality, small screen, cramped keyboard, 2 year old technology if you wanted it on sprint, etc.

Now I don't think a slab would have guaranteed success back when the Pre was originally released. But now in this market. It would definitely wouldn't hurt to have a Slab option
    It wouldn't. But the fact that a slab wouldn't hurt doesn't mean a vertical slider will automatically hurt.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I think everyone in this thread is right. Not everyone wants a slab... that doesnt mean IGNORE everyone who doesnt.

Look I'm one of those people who doesnt want just a slab, i want a keyboard; but you cant act like you want to hit different sections of the market (Pre/Pixi or Veer/Pre3) and completely ignore another section. Honestly all the slab/slate fanatics needed to see to nut themselves is slate phone/webOS, 1.4 gHz processor. Done. But...

Where is the landscape sliding keyboard phone? and where is the slab phone? Give people choice and let them decide if the WebOS slab is better than the android slab...

NOT the same form factor big and small, over and over; people just associate it with the failures of the past instead of using something new to highlight how good webOS is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    "differentiating themselves" = cutting out a huge chunk of the market

Not everyone wants a portrait slider phone (which is the only form factor they have announced).
    I found that statement very curious as well. I thought they would release many different forms instead of what they already had. Not sure it was such a wise choice on their part.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Right but as you said they sell different kinds of printers.
    They have printers that can do everything, specialize in certain things, for business, for pleasure etc etc etc

That's not what they have done with WebOS.
    They have a portrait slider and a very small portrait slider.

That's not gonna cut it.
    i made a typo. I corrected it. It was supposed to say it's "NOT as profitable to only sell black toner"

meaning i totally agree with you. You're spot on. That's pretty much what i was trying to say. They did not appeal to enough people. they, like you said, do only have a portrait slider. my stupid typo just screwed up my point. like you said they should do what they do with laptops and printers and desktops. Make several form factors. Because they just aren't capable of doing what apple does which is make just one really great phone. They are too far behind. And it's not just hardware. it's the look of the products, the lack of cool, but majorly the apps and features. And a lot of that Android doesn't have but they've got 200 darn phones and HTC seems to be able to put out like 10 phones a year on multiple carriers. That's what i think Palm had to do but. Not to bash. I just think the didn't get it done.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 02/11/2011 at 01:04 AM.
    I think a slab phone would be great. I think there are allot of great arguements here but we may be overlooking what can be possible. If the Pre3 can be used as a hotspot and data (phonecalls, text, etc....) can be displayed on the TouchPad, then all you would need is a case to hold both devices and boom.... you would have a giant slab w/ keyboard and ability to make calls. I've had my pre- since 6/09 and it's barely holding together now. If Sprint offers the Pre3 and it can act as a hotspot then I would pick up a TouchPad as well. Since Sprint will probably charge more than $89.99 bringing me up to the new Gold Premier level, I guess that would give HP/Palm a year to come up with a Slab that may or may not take the place of a new Pre3. I need a new replacement phone, but if mine gives out before Sprint comes out with a new webOS device then I will just get a burner for a while.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    HP is tageting enterprise customers. The Pre3 was introduced as a business world phone.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    "not everyone wants a portrait..." = i could say the same about that. not everyone wants a slab?
    Isn't one of the reasons Ruby left (quit), Apple?

Steve's refusal to put a keyboard on the iPhone. ...ever.

I doubt Ruby can/will be as stubborn. Although, maybe he thinks slabs are tablets.

So, the question may be, will we see a slab smaller than 10" and 7"? ;-)

I think it's a possibility. But, then again, I'm from the camp that thinks slabs are too big, (and boring), to be carried around as a phone. ....and I love the Pre's form factor.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Bingo. I think the Pre³ is great in that it keeps the distinct Pre form factor, but at the same time it's got the screen resolution and real estate to keep it competitive with newer devices. There's plenty of room for a virtual keyboard on that sucker. If you want a slab so badly, glue the slider shut or something.
    Keeps it competitive now but now 6 months down the road!
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    There is nothing wrong with a minor spec bump, the problem that people are having is the minor spec bump and having to wait coming months for it to come out and by the time it actually does that minor spec bump is running behind new and shiny devices out.

It happened to the Pre, the Pre +, Pixi Plus and Pre 2 why not the Pre 3 and the fabled new tablet.
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    If they did, then I think 99% of the complaints today (except backward compatibility) would disappear.
    I stopped there because I know with 99.999998% certainty that that statement is completely false.
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    If they did, then I think 99% of the complaints today (except backward compatibility) would disappear. No one would care if they had a Pre 3, or a Veer, because everyone would have their choice. Some want a big, slab phone, some a slider, some a tiny phone, and everyone wants a tablet. So, why didn't they do it? I've got to assume that the phone just wasn't ready. Someone really, really needs to get HP to say off the record why they didn't make a slab phone.
    I agree that HP should release a Slab eventually - just so those who can't live without one don't have to bang at the door anymore. And I believe that HP will do so within a year. What was announced on feb 9 is what they were ready to announce atm - not the final range of form factors forever.

But I don't believe that the complaining would stop.
    The Pre 2 already fixes almost every problem the Pre had and has very decent specs - but people here whine as if it were a feature phone from the late 90s.

And with regard to the Pre 3 some folks here have lost all contact with reality and declare it to be last years or even 2 year old specs. Crazy.

And regarding "No one would care if they had a Pre 3, or a Veer, because everyone would have their choice" - one would think so - but the same logic would apply to the Veer - yet many whine about it as if the Pre 2 and Pre 3 don't exist and the Veer the only option.

At this point Hpalm could announce a phone with a retina display and people would complain that it is last years tech and won't be able to compete with whatever will be in Iphone 5.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    At this point Hpalm could announce a phone with a retina display and people would complain that it is last years tech and won't be able to compete with whatever will be in Iphone 5.
    chuckling on the thought of ip5 will come as a slider

(and of course everybody will love and buy it for of course apple ll have invented it)
    As the title suggests, is HP actually aware that everyone seemed to be hoping for a high-powered 'slab phone'? Or are they just pleading ignorance? I remember 8 months ago when everyone was pining for an enlarged super-powered Pre 3 which was exactly what HP unveiled. However in recent times you can't even look at a forum discussion about HP without seeing a huge chunk of people discussing how they'd switch to webOS in a heartbeat if they'd only release a 4" slab phone.

So, do you think they are actually working on this? It's obviously what the people want, and it will surely sell to non-Palm people as well if marketed properly.
    really we needed another thread on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I sense a merge coming on ....

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    yes. all of the other threads are filled with whining as to why they should've released one.

speaking of whining..
    Sorry, I clarify
    63% feel they don't need a slab and 37 feel they do.
    i don't really care if they release a slab or not, though i'd probly get it over the Pre 3.

And i think its more like 50/50 instead of 63/37.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast