Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by remmy123 View Post
    Good call and I agree, but this would be the 4th relaunch of this form factor.
    Yeah and the funny part is that they, and some on here, honestly think that 4th time is the charm??
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post

By being different in the hardware, they are making themselves noticeable.

By releasing another version of a phone that nobody was interested in the first two times around? Well it certainly makes them noticeable.
    i don't know about 99% of the complaints but i agree with the premise that they needed more form factors to appeal to more customers. To be honest i don't that category but i think for the sake of webos it would have been a good strategy to release a slate & a horizontal slider mostly cause they are two of the most popular form factors right now. That could be in addition to the pre 3. I think though some people like that they are in the minority. i think most people prefer something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    I think though some people like that they are in the minority.
    You can like "being different" all day long but to a billion dollar company that doesn't mean a damned thing but failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    You can like "being different" all day long but to a billion dollar company that doesn't mean a damned thing but failure.
    well i'll put it this way. They make different types of printers to appeal to the widest range of people. from home users just doing black and white text to commercial color laser printers. Because it's as not profitable to only sell black ink to a small percentage of the market.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 02/11/2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    well i'll put it this way. They make different types of printers to appeal to the widest range of people. from home users just doing black and white text to commercial color laser printers. Because it's as profitable to only sell black ink to a small percentage of the market.
    Right but as you said they sell different kinds of printers.
    They have printers that can do everything, specialize in certain things, for business, for pleasure etc etc etc

That's not what they have done with WebOS.
    They have a portrait slider and a very small portrait slider.

That's not gonna cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    By releasing another version of a phone that nobody was interested in the first two times around? Well it certainly makes them noticeable.
    So you are proclaiming that the entire reason, or at least main reason, the Pre didn't "hit it out of the park" was it's form factor? Really?

So, in other words, all things being equal - had the Pre been an iphone clone hardware-wise, it would have done awesome, Palm would be where Android is now and HP would never have bought them? Really?

Beyond your own personal preferences, where is the proof?

It just seems that most of your posts are your own personal hate of the form factor applied to "everyone". As if the whole world agrees with your preferences.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    So you are proclaiming that the entire reason, or at least main reason, the Pre didn't "hit it out of the park" was it's form factor? Really?

So, in other words, all things being equal - had the Pre been an iphone clone hardware-wise, it would have done awesome? Really?

Beyond your own personal preferences, where is the proof?
    Proof of what? The Palm Pre was launched in the UK with similar fanfare to the iphone, it had TV adverts, it's own separate stands in 02 stores - it bombed. The Pre 2 was rejected by all carriers here and across europe, what more proof do you want?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Proof of what? The Palm Pre was launched in the UK with similar fanfare to the iphone, it had TV adverts, it's own separate stands in 02 stores - it bombed. The Pre 2 was rejected by all carriers here and across europe, what more proof do you want?
    There are a myriad of reasons why the Pre didn't sell like hotcakes. I don't think there is anything but conjecture that says "it wasn't a slab" was high on the list of those reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    There are a myriad of reasons why the Pre didn't sell like hotcakes. I don't think there is anything but conjecture that says "it wasn't a slab" was high on the list of those reasons.
    Even if that's true, which we don't know and IS NOT RELEVANT NOW, we KNOW what phones are selling now.

Landscape sliders and Slabs.

That is NOW.

Who cares about in June 2009.
    This is Feb 2011.
    Even if that's true, which we don't know and IS NOT RELEVANT NOW, we KNOW what phones are selling now.

That is NOW.

This is Feb 2011.
    It is possible, just maybe possible, that HP's strategy isn't all that concerned about one-product, mobile-centric consumers like you? Seems to me they are focusing on the enterprise side, and looking to offer businesses an integrated set of computer solutions that now includes mobile communication, all of which will utilize webOS in some fashion: desktops --> laptops --> tablet --> phone. So, now companies don't need to come to HP for their computer hardware, but Blackberry or Apple for their enterprise mobile. In the future, they can get a bundled package from HP that meets all of their computing needs, and all of the hardware will be integrated wirelessly through similar software. Seems like a pretty good strategy to me, and in line with what we've heard all along from people like Mark Hurd about HP not buying webOS just to get in the smartphone business.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Seems to me they are focusing on the enterprise side
    Which is why yesterday's announcement was based around a Time magazine app, a movie store and how you'd get restaurant details from your pad to your phone?

Edit: Oh I forgot the rambling bit about how you'd be able to listen to some 'phat beats' on your pad.

Where was the enterprise focus in any of this? Can you even edit documents on webOs at the moment?
    Last edited by CGK; 02/10/2011 at 06:01 AM.

That is NOW.

This is Feb 2011.
    [QUOTE=CGK;2859152]Which is why yesterday's announcement was based around a Time magazine app, a movie store and how you'd get restaurant details from your pad to your phone?

Where was the enterprise focus in any of this? Can you even edit documents on webOs at the moment?[/QUOTE

Why would you talk enterprise at a flashy launch party? They need to get headlines for their products, which means they have to spin the consumer side. Did Bill Gates focus on enterprise when he rolled out new versions of Windows?
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why would you talk enterprise at a flashy launch party? They need to get headlines for their products, which means they have to spin the consumer side. Did Bill Gates focus on enterprise when he rolled out new versions of Windows?
    Where's the evidence then? People say there is an enterprise focus - show us the evidence.
    adv of enyo is to scale easily

they said they want to release more devices quicker.

a slab may still be possible.

mojo did suck having written 2 apps
    Bunch of incapable sods! What do you expect when blind men wearing googles design a phone? Disaster is the least rude I can be... Send your designers to the knackers house bunch of stupid sods! You have made a laugh out of the best os out there! The best make up was made up for you. All you had is to choose the most refined body to wear it and instead you went for the most obese and ugly body to wear it! Stupid
    This is not a joke: I really think the reason they don't have a slab phone is because with the budget/time/employees they had, they couldn't design a totally new phone. The Pre 3 is the same old design just a tad taller/wider. A slab phone would have required a new design, new factory plan and prototypes and I think they decided instead to put all that towards the tablet and just do a half-assed update on the Pre.

BIG mistake.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Honest question here...

Does anyone honestly think there still wouldn't be *****ing if they launched a Slab instead of a slider?

All you'd have is all the Slab people cheering and all the people wanting a sub 4" phone or a keyboard *****ing instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Honest question here...

Does anyone honestly think there still wouldn't be *****ing if they launched a Slab instead of a slider?

All you'd have is all the Slab people cheering and all the people wanting a sub 4" phone or a keyboard *****ing instead.
    Yeah but apparently there are not enough people that want the portrait format or at least that is important enough to them that they will choose Webos over androind or Iphone otherwise palm would still be alive.

Now I don't think a slab would have guaranteed success back when the Pre was originally released. But now in this market. It would definitely wouldn't hurt to have a Slab option
  20. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    A slab or a larger pixi with flagship specs would have kept me from switching to an Evo.

The Pre3 just isn't *special* enough to wait and hope that it lands on your carrier of choice. They would have been better off not announcing at all until at least one carrier was on board.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast