Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Perhaps they intend to launch a slab on March 14th? They did say a new phone every 2 months. Pre 2 now. Veer in 2 months. Pre 3 in ~6 months. What's in between? What's 2 months later? Personally I think a Pixi 2, with a larger screen and more power, and a slab will be launched next month. Which comes first and when is another question. Of course, they could surprise with something different.

I have a feeling that they will cover the core forms by the time the year is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Perhaps they intend to launch a slab on March 14th? They did say a new phone every 2 months. Pre 2 now. Veer in 2 months. Pre 3 in ~6 months. What's in between? What's 2 months later? Personally I think a Pixi 2, with a larger screen and more power, and a slab will be launched next month. Which comes first and when is another question. Of course, they could surprise with something different.

I have a feeling that they will cover the core forms by the time the year is up.
    absolutely
    today was just a start - a start with already known hardware that is easy to produce

people wanted news, we got it. there will be other news soon, can't wait? sorry, nothing anyone can do about it
    Why would they announce two devices being released in spring and summer but not announce a third device being released sometime before then?

I don't think we'll see any new phones (besides Pre3 and Veer) until at least Fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Why would they announce two devices being released in spring and summer but not announce a third device being released sometime before then?

I don't think we'll see any new phones (besides Pre3 and Veer) until at least Fall.
    Again, it's supposed to be every 2 months. Two phones for 6 months does not equal 1 every 2. Obviously, they ain't done. There's a reason why they have said further announcements would come on March 14th. I suspect it's because they wanted to first alleviate those who love the Pre form factor but wanted a larger device. This would be the bulk of their current users. A slab will primarily target new users.

People are just so ready to get all up in arms. I initially was too, then I calmed down and thought about what they are doing. Go look at the hands on video of the Veer, as an example. See how smooth and quick that phone is? That's the future of webOS devices...a smooth and quick experience, unlike the current stuff. I don't want a slab, but I do recognize the need to broaden the audience. I think this event was meant for those of us still on Pre's and to start to reveal what's possible.

I'm sure the 14th of March will bring much more. Or do you expect them to just go "yep, the phones are coming out on June XX"?
    Palm is competing in a way that makes sense, really.

A slab phone pits them against every single iPhone and Android device out there.

By being different in the hardware, they are making themselves noticeable. It may not be the most desirable device for geeks, but it is definitely functional. Frankly, if the keyboard is good then I will be fine never having a slab device again.

"The grass is always greener on the other side." I think that many current owners believe this; a slab must be better. What if Palm got their QWERTY slider right? What if they nailed the sliding mechanism, and the keyboard was a dream? Would you still want a slab? Maybe, but I think the value proposition for a slab goes down if they can (finally!) get it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    You know, I wonder what the market data on this is. I'm sure there have been focus groups and surveys of the general populace to determine favored form factors. We in the cell-phone-forum world have horribly skewed data, after all, since most of us are highly opinionated.

Maybe the majority of Americans said "I don't care what it looks like; just give me something that can do (x)." Maybe 35% of them said they would never consider a smartphone that didn't have a keyboard, but 40% said they would never carry a phone with exposed keys.

Maybe none of that is true, but whatever it is, you know HP has to have done the research. They're not, contrary to recent opinion around here, stupid. And they're trying to make money with webOS.

So, inevitably, their market research told them that they could expect at least some success if they led 2011 with the vertical-slider form factor. And that's why they did it.
    It's called common sense. If HP needs focus groups and surveys, then they need (smacked upside the head) and someone else in charge besides Ruby. There's a reason why the Hero ate the Pre's lunch on Sprint. There's a reason why the Evo set records for Sprint. There's a reason why android did so well at Verizon. People want slab phones.

I've no problem with the Pre 3. But why the miniPre? Resources wasted. Why can't the Pre 3 wait some odds months while they figure this slab thing out? It's prior failures should be enough alone to suggest they need to put the Pre aside for a bit if not kill it.

In fact, a slab phone should have more priority than their first tablet. Those two at the least should've been designed together as they revamped webOS for them.

It's a disgrace. We already know the Pre 3 (as will the Veer) will fail in the market just as the prior ones have. It does nothing but resurrect more negative branding for HP.

The whole presentation today was a mess.
    Last edited by cardfan; 02/09/2011 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post

A slab phone pits them against every single iPhone and Android device out there.

By being different in the hardware, they are making themselves noticeable. It may not be the most desirable device for geeks, but it is definitely functional. Frankly, if the keyboard is good then I will be fine never having a slab device again.
    Made the same point in another thread. I completely agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's called common sense. If HP needs focus groups and surveys, then they need (smacked upside the head) and someone else in charge besides Ruby.
    Please. Oversimplification is seldom the answer to anything. If you're not a fan of market research, fine -- all companies, both most and least successful, use them.

There's a reason why the Hero ate the Pre's lunch on Sprint.
    [Citation Needed]

There's a reason why the Evo set records for Sprint. There's a reason why android did so well at Verizon. People want slab phones.
    Oh, really? It wasn't Sprint's "4G" campaign, or Verizon's DROID campaign, or Google's advertising, or tech and consumer reports on the story of "the Google Phone," or any of the other thousand reasons why those phones did well? It was the fact that people respond well to featureless bricks?

I've no problem with the Pre 3. But why the miniPre? Resources wasted.
    No - market share builder. Like the Centro, the Veer might not be profitable if it's heavily subsidized, but if enough of them are sold, webOS's user base grows, and it's market share goes up. HP doesn't care about profit yet - it has plenty. It cares about long-term growth, which you need growing user bases for.

Why can't the Pre 3 wait some odds months while they figure this slab thing out? It's prior failures should be enough alone to suggest they need to put the Pre aside for a bit if not kill it.
    Because webOS users have responded so well to delays thus far.

In fact, a slab phone should have more priority than their first tablet. Those two at the least should've been designed together as they revamped webOS for them.
    I see all the talk about "building an ecosystem" has fallen on yet another set of deaf ears.

It's a disgrace. We already know the Pre 3 (as will the Veer) will fail in the market just as the prior ones have. It does nothing but resurrect more negative branding for HP.
    Please send me your information. I would like to rent your looking glass.
    HP had plenty of time to produce the form factors the market says it wants...What market research shows that consumers want a thumb sized smartphone?...in the meantime we have 100000s of slabs sold every day and thats a fact no need to research it...

for instance take burgers...if you open a new restaurant burgers will be on the menu simply because you know people buy burgers...no need to go to college and earn a degree in marketing to understand that...
    The veer will sale enough to double Hpalm's marketshare. and the pre3 holds fine against the iphone 5 release.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    that stupid dongle sucks major dongle though.

Too many concessions for the average teen consumer to make.
    ok give me a tiny phone but no headphone jack? so when I lose the dongle or forget it, then what?

They better bundle it with some sweet BT headphones FTW!
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    i'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about the future of webOS on smartphones. i'm honestly not very enamored by the Veer or Pre 3. in fact, people had joked about a 'Pre 3' being unveiled and it seemed too dumb a move to actually be true. but now it is, and while it's a great phone and i adore my Palm Pre Plus, i'm not (yet) sold on the Pre 3. I'm in the camp of people who want a thin and sexy slab phone running webos 2.x. Why would they not make something like that? I mean, hell, they are doing away with the Palm name.. why on earth keep all of the form factors etc the same as Palm? Yea, I get it. They just can't please everyone but I don't think that many, including myself, are really too impressed with the new smartphones. Or even if they are slightly impressed with say the Veer, they probably won't be first in line to buy it if they even want to own it at all.

I'm holding out a bit of hope to see if other devices are going to be announced. I hope so, and I think so. But HP needs a webOS phone that is sexy to the eyes like the iphone in order to remain competitive. Hell, they are obviously trying to compete directly with the ipad.. why not produce a phone that competes directly with the iphone? If HP wants to be 'cool' they have to be sort of Apple-ly, whether they like it or not. Release a sexy device, *********! The Pre3 is not going to compete with the iphone. It's going to compete with the Blackberry Torch 2 or something equally unimpressive.

HP, if you want to keep the Pre line that's fine. But release something else to all of those people, both in and out of the webOS community, who aren't necessarily excited by the Pre anymore (the Veer is still a Pre as far as I'm concerned). Like I said, I love my Pre Plus, but I really want something new and exciting. As much as it pains me to say, the Pre 3 is just not that device. Here's hoping there are more devices in the pipeline.
    Last edited by jetsetter883; 02/09/2011 at 11:03 PM.
    Why should I believe the statement about a new phone every couple of months. HP have zero credibility at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Again, it's supposed to be every 2 months. Two phones for 6 months does not equal 1 every 2. Obviously, they ain't done. There's a reason why they have said further announcements would come on March 14th. I suspect it's because they wanted to first alleviate those who love the Pre form factor but wanted a larger device. This would be the bulk of their current users. A slab will primarily target new users.

People are just so ready to get all up in arms. I initially was too, then I calmed down and thought about what they are doing. Go look at the hands on video of the Veer, as an example. See how smooth and quick that phone is? That's the future of webOS devices...a smooth and quick experience, unlike the current stuff. I don't want a slab, but I do recognize the need to broaden the audience. I think this event was meant for those of us still on Pre's and to start to reveal what's possible.

I'm sure the 14th of March will bring much more. Or do you expect them to just go "yep, the phones are coming out on June XX"?
    Er, your whole rationale assumes the validity of the statement that they will release a device every two months. A statement from the same people that said the older devices would get 2.0, that flash was coming soon, that there would be document editing and voice dialing (two years ago), that they would not announce devices that were not ready to ship right away, that there would be more (not fewer) form factors, that broke classic for no good reason, that has not released api's as promised, that promised things like automatic messeges to meeting participants when you are running late, that said there was no problem with cracks at the usb port, should I go on????

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
  15.    #35  
    Maybe I would restate my point as this. If HP had just announced a 4.3 inch slab phone with a dual core processor, again, would anyone be complaining? I'm not saying that I would buy one - I might like the size of the Pre 2 or Veer, who knows - but I'd like the choice. What ever anyone says about the cult of Apple, they are very good when it comes to industrial design. The success of the iPhone has led the phone world to slab type phones. Just witness what the iphone has done to blackberry.
    In fact, a tablet is an example of a form factor. What did HP do? They matched the very successful iPad's form factor exactly. They didn't introduce a tablet portrait slider or a widescreen tablet - they matched the size and weight of the iPad. Great move if you ask me. A 7 inch tablet will add even more choice. Again, I might want a 7 inch tablet, or maybe the 9 inch. But it is great to have choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    Maybe I would restate my point as this. If HP had just announced a 4.3 inch slab phone with a dual core processor, again, would anyone be complaining? I'm not saying that I would buy one - I might like the size of the Pre 2 or Veer, who knows - but I'd like the choice. What ever anyone says about the cult of Apple, they are very good when it comes to industrial design. The success of the iPhone has led the phone world to slab type phones. Just witness what the iphone has done to blackberry.
    In fact, a tablet is an example of a form factor. What did HP do? They matched the very successful iPad's form factor exactly. They didn't introduce a tablet portrait slider or a widescreen tablet - they matched the size and weight of the iPad. Great move if you ask me. A 7 inch tablet will add even more choice. Again, I might want a 7 inch tablet, or maybe the 9 inch. But it is great to have choices.
    If they had announced a slab phone today, then they pass. Simple as that. It's not like they had to perform miracles here. And its not like they didn't have the time after all, they did match up the ipad pretty well. They clearly chose not to.
    They have definitely changed the design of it.. check out this video

its not curved anymore, it seems to slide very well, the power button issue was changed.

The hardware overall seems quite elegant

Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post

"The grass is always greener on the other side." I think that many current owners believe this; a slab must be better. What if Palm got their QWERTY slider right? What if they nailed the sliding mechanism, and the keyboard was a dream? Would you still want a slab? Maybe, but I think the value proposition for a slab goes down if they can (finally!) get it right.
    I guess I am in a minority when I say that I am not married to any particular form factor. I would take a slab or a slider. I don't care, as long as it works well. I especially care less if I also have a tablet to go with my phone - then lots of screen real estate becomes increasingly redundant.

I really really do not understand all of the "do or die" type talk about a slab. The Pre 3's screen is big enough (iphone size) and as thin as the iphone as well.

It would not make sense for HP to make a slab that was any smaller than 5" and call it a hybrid tablet-phone. Imo, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Probably because they're trying to execute a long-term strategy, and part of that is differentiation. Whatever else you want to say about the Pre's form factor, you have to admit it's distinctive, and it's rare. Unlike the snooze-fest sea of slabs that is Android.

While I think a slab offering with a jumbo screen would probably have sold pretty well, maybe they're more interested in differentiation at this early stage of the webOS "relaunch."
    Good call and I agree, but this would be the 4th relaunch of this form factor.
    I am pretty sure HP's response to all you slab QQ's is that the only screens they intend to be typed on are tablets.

They are not interested in going head to head with Android and iPhone. They have said as much. It's a fools folley to try and enter the one-up game going on right now in the smartphone world.

They are interested in tackling and pushing an entirely new ecosystem, and smartphones are just one arm of it.

They will never push out tons of form factors. Its just not in their business plan. I would not be surprised if portrait sliders are the only phones they make, until they do a 5 inch tablet phone.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast