Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just something that I have been thinking about...

We saw 3 new devices today. The speculated smallest smartphone, the Touchpad, and the Pre 3. What we didn't see was the smaller tablet device that was also rumored to release today.

And remember back in December, when HP trademarked 3 phone names? There was the Veer, which we just saw, but also the Gyst and Myte. What could those devices be? When will they be announced? What about the rumored 5 inch Mansion? Why no Wimax/LTE phone so far? Those questions remain to be answered.

HP was doing alot of talking about releasing a steady stream of devices throughout this year. I think we'll see more about them "in the coming months" after the summer release of the Pre 3 (which I will definitely be getting, btw). Additional phones and tablets will be announced this year, for release this year.

My personal conjecture:

We'll see HP release a "slab" style phone towards the end of the year. It will operate on a Q4 release cycle, while the Pre updates (Pre 3,4,5 etc) will stay on a summer schedule, just like the original Pre. With the Pre 3 being focused on enterprise (well, enterprise AND general consumer), the slab device will be focused more on the consumer, perhaps with more "paper-competitive" specs to boot.

Regardless, what we have seen is a great start to a hopefully growing WebOS ecosystem. One thing's for sure - the interconnectedness that we witnessed day was very cool. Additionally, WebOS is flat-out superior to its competitors. With extra internal power, it'll surpass iOS in slickness, and will demolish Android's UI and general usability.

Here's to a bright future for WebOS.
    Last edited by Love Divine; 02/09/2011 at 06:38 PM.
    those all sound like possible names for the veer, just because they trademarked them doesnt mean they'll use them
    Hi all,

Am I mistaken, but didn't HP say they would be making an announcement ever other month for a while? We may not be see HP/Palm phones.

Why are people so upset that there is no slab phone? Palm has always been know for having keyboards....the Pre 3 certainly could be used as a slab, but the actual keyboard is what is setting hp/Palm apart from the others, (well that and webOS).

I am still using my Centro, whose contract ended this past Oct. To me the Pre 3 is looking good.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Am I mistaken, but didn't HP say they would be making an announcement ever other month for a while? We may not be see HP/Palm phones.

Why are people so upset that there is no slab phone? Palm has always been know for having keyboards....the Pre 3 certainly could be used as a slab, but the actual keyboard is what is setting hp/Palm apart from the others, (well that and webOS).

I am still using my Centro, whose contract ended this past Oct. To me the Pre 3 is looking good.

Take care,

Jay
    I dunno after having a 6 pre's all due to hardware failure i'm turned off by the form factor. Other's feel the same or have their own reasons. The pre 3 is a good phone. but i and others would love to see a slab phone.
    I can't decide if I want to preorder a pre2 tomorow to replace my pre plus, or wait for a pre3.
    Or do I want something small and sexy and get a veer. I'm so confused but excited.

Only other thing about a pre2 is if I got a touchpad I wouldn't be able to touch to share...i suppose that crosstalk app would solve this for me though.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    I dunno after having a 6 pre's all due to hardware failure i'm turned off by the form factor. Other's feel the same or have their own reasons. The pre 3 is a good phone. but i and others would love to see a slab phone.
    There is nothing to same between your pre and the pre 3. Nothing. It looks the same on videos but is a larger phone with different everything. lol. The thing is a slab with the keyboard closed. Just crazy glue yours lol.
    Hi all,

They may look somewhat alike on the outside...but they are not the same on the inside...before condemning it, perhaps you should wait and try one, (that is try one with an open mind)!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I've been on that roller-coaster, too. It's not the form factor that did those phones in, it was very poor manufacturing and some bad design choices (the slider mechanism, for instance).

When the Pre was released, it was a first-gen, and I'm sure Palm expected to have the Pre+ right around the corner. Then Sprint screwed up the release, sales were very bad, and they spent the next few months looking for suitors instead of pushing ahead with version 2.

Portrait sliders are awesome for the business applications HP has in mind (and I'm sure Palm had in mind at the outset). However, folks use the devices more like their PC monitors - typing replies to web posts, commenting on youtube vids, where you need the app (the browser) to be in landscape mode.

Walking around the office, who do you see with their monitors in portrait orientation? Editors, writers, correspondents. When you get home to look at fark.com, what orientation is your monitor?
    HP/Palm will clearly be launching more phones. I had an initial disappointment myself. Mainly because I felt they needed a slab to bring in users (I personally prefer the Pre and Pixi form factors and am not interested in a slab). Then I realized, or should I say remembered, that HP mentioned they would be putting out a new phone every couple of months. The Pre 3 appears to be nothing more than a teaser for what is coming, and looks like a great phone. The Pre 2 and the Veer are the first 2 phones that will actually come out, but that leaves room for 1 or 2 more phones before the Pre 3, as well as a phone a couple months after. I personally assume that a Pixi 2 (named so or differently) will be one of the next two phones. I think the slab (mansion) will be the other. Timing and carrier/s are the only questions to ponder, in my opinion.

The Veer seems small, but if the keyboard is as good as the Pixi's (or better) then I may actually consider it. The Pre 2 and the Pre 3 is a tougher choice for me. I like the size of my Pre, but would love to have some of the stuff in the Pre 3. What would probably end the argument for me would be if they released a Pixi 2 that had a screen the size of the Pre's, without making the phone too much bigger, and giving it the power of these newer phones. I like the Pixi's format the best, but the screen is a tad smaller than I really want, but not a deal breaker, but the phone's habit of slowing to a crawl, even overclocked, is a pain in the backside. Heck, if this phone just had 512mb of RAM is might be much better. If they made a Pixi with the fluidity of that Veer, then I would be all in, especially with a 3.1" screen.

What really chaffed my *BLEEP!* early on was the "No 2.0" stuff. Of course, now we've heard that it will in fact be coming, just not OTA; i.e. only via webOS Doctor. Fine by me, as long as we can back-up and reload our personal stuff. The talk about "something special" for original Pre owners is something else that sounds interesting for those of you still suffering with the Minus. So, in the end, my mood changed a bit. I think the March 14th event will be a launch even for the slab and another phone (likely the Pixi 2), and we'll be hearing a different tune from a lot of people.

We'll see what happens during the next month.
    there are other sized slabs to be announced. He says "the first in a family of touchpads" Family is more than 2 so... 9in 6in 4in is what I am thinking.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I agree...what fun would it be if they announced everything today when they have plans for March also.
  12.    #12  
    It just seems that, in combination with all of HP's talk on more devices, as well as the simply staggering emphasis on the Pre 3 as business workhorse, that there will be other phones out there soon.

HP hasn't shown all their cards yet, or phone-wise, their best cards. We'll see soon enough.
    The March event is an HP event, not a WebOS event. Trust me...if something was coming even remotely soon, you'd have heard about carriers or a date today.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    There is nothing to same between your pre and the pre 3. Nothing. It looks the same on videos but is a larger phone with different everything. lol. The thing is a slab with the keyboard closed. Just crazy glue yours lol.
    its a portrait slider, My experience with the palm pre has turned me off to the form factor. I will never purchase another potrait slider from palm. excuse me HPalm
  15.    #15  
    Well, I'm not specifically pointing to the March event in particular, just postulating. We know for sure that there are other products HP hasn't revealed yet (the second tablet at least), and for the reasons I listed, it seems very likely that more will be on the way. This event just seemed to sort of make a splash, and officially establish the WebOS family. I'm sure we'll see the rest of the product family throughout the year.

As for soon, I fear that it will probably be until after the Pre 3 when they'll come out. I'm just hoping for something on Sprint to replace my launch day Pre. The Pre 3 would be excellent for that.
  16.    #16  
    its a portrait slider, My experience with the palm pre has turned me off to the form factor. I will never purchase another potrait slider from palm. excuse me HPalm
    To each his own, regarding the form factor. I'm fine with it. I'm already pretty damn fast on the Pre's keyboard. A bigger and better quality portrait keyboard will be a dream. All of the hands-on experiences with the Pre 3 have specifically mentioned great build quality and good materials. The Pre 2 was indeed a massive improvement in build quality. Palm has no reason (and the financial backing) to skimp out on the materials or build quality. They're on their third phone with the same form, so they have experience with it. Hell, they're taking till summer to release the damn thing, so I'm they can take their sweet time with it.

If you want a slab, I have no doubts one is coming.
    Then you're missing out. The Pre2 is a magnificent phone with wonderful build quality and a stellar software experience. I can't wait to see how the Pre3 does.
    I was way disappointed at first. Not so much now. I'm pretty stoked on the pre 3, I just want to be able to get my pixi to webos 2.0 to hold me over til I can upgrade.
    Keep in mind that the sales relationships/deals are very fluid. Trust me on this. The phones are sometimes designed, and no carriers bite, and sometimes later someone convinces them to take up some inventory, so we really don't know what is going to happen in the mid-term. Short term, yes, we know, that some carriers won't have WebOS phones, and long term, we know, that HP will push hard and pressure carriers to sell their devices.

Assume that HP isn't an *****. They make tons of PC's, printers, and other devices. Maybe they are actually the biggest computer company ;-). They know what form factors are out there, and they'll most likely do a spray and pray approach - build at least one of each - slider, slab, small, tablet. They also know that tablets are a threat to their PC lines, so they'll go hard to compete there.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Then you're missing out. The Pre2 is a magnificent phone with wonderful build quality and a stellar software experience. I can't wait to see how the Pre3 does.
    no i'm not, you can keep you pre 2, and give me my prevo and everybody wins. right now, for palm only 3% are winning.
    Last edited by m3grady2; 02/09/2011 at 10:25 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast