1.    #1  
    [EDIT: LoL. Forgot the six-letter f-word is forbidden on these forums. Well, that's what I was trying to say in the subject line. That's hilarious, BTW.]

I'm clicking around the forums today in the wake of the announcements, and all the hate parades are getting me down a little, so I just thought I'd make a post and share my pleasure at today's announcements!

• I think the Veer (or "Short-Round") is awesome in a cute, low-end kind of way. I think it's going to attract more non-phone-geek users to webOS - and that's a good thing.
    • The Pre3 is awesome. Massive screen, bigger keyboard, and the form factor that sets the Pre apart in a world of boring slabs/slates/candybars. I was dreading an Evo4G-aping beast, and I'm so glad they didn't go that route.
    • There are things about the TouchPad I'd change, but it's a solid entry into the tablet space for webOS, and the integration HP is talking about (between phone, tab, cloud, and desktop) represents a huge opportunity for webOS to grow bigger than it ever would have under Palm alone.
    • OH NOES MY 2-YEAR-OLD PRE MINUS CAN'T BE UPDATED TO WEBOS 2.0!! My God, with the new hardware on the horizon, who cares? I got a Pre2 months ago so I could enjoy webOS 2.0, and I've been loving it. That's the way it is when you're a mobile phone geek - you upgrade every year (at a minimum) or you're behind. Suck. It. Up.

Sorry ... had to get it off my chest. Anyway, guess I'm just an HP-loving shill. Hooray for today!
    I'm one of the haters, but I agree with all the comments that you made. HP has made a solid entry on all fronts. the problem is they needed revolutionary not evolutionary. They will sell some devices, win some converts, and still be woefully behind Apple and Google.
  3.    #3  
    Sadly, I cannot disagree. While I loved the announcements today, I would have much preferred an earth-shattering industry upheaval. But then again ... I wasn't expecting one. Looks like HP is taking it slow. Sucks, but it's their prerogative.
    I love all of the devices that they've released. They have a low entry phone (pixi-esque) for the new-comers, the Veer.

They have what I've been looking for, the Pre 3. It's practically everything I've wanted. I didn't want a huge gameboy in my pocket, I wanted a Pre with a bigger screen. That's what I get!

And an awesome TouchPad. That thing looks amazing, hopefully they reduce the lag on the OS a bit and everything will be just peaches.

I'll stick with webOS for a while, I just hope they get better at announcements/release dates. That's my only complaint.
    Sprint Love
    The problem is, they're going to send the veer off to be trampled by the Iphone 5, and the Pre3 to be slapped aside by the Verizon I-4 I-5 dance...until I hear of T-mobile or sprint, the network where pre minuses like mine go to die ( with no replacement in sight) getting some love, I'm, well, a tad discombobulated....seeing as I would buy either of them in a heartbeat if I could....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    [EDIT: LoL. Forgot the six-letter f-word is forbidden on these forums. Well, that's what I was trying to say in the subject line. That's hilarious, BTW.]

I'm clicking around the forums today in the wake of the announcements, and all the hate parades are getting me down a little, so I just thought I'd make a post and share my pleasure at today's announcements!

• I think the Veer (or "Short-Round") is awesome in a cute, low-end kind of way. I think it's going to attract more non-phone-geek users to webOS - and that's a good thing.
    • The Pre3 is awesome. Massive screen, bigger keyboard, and the form factor that sets the Pre apart in a world of boring slabs/slates/candybars. I was dreading an Evo4G-aping beast, and I'm so glad they didn't go that route.
    • There are things about the TouchPad I'd change, but it's a solid entry into the tablet space for webOS, and the integration HP is talking about (between phone, tab, cloud, and desktop) represents a huge opportunity for webOS to grow bigger than it ever would have under Palm alone.
    • OH NOES MY 2-YEAR-OLD PRE MINUS CAN'T BE UPDATED TO WEBOS 2.0!! My God, with the new hardware on the horizon, who cares? I got a Pre2 months ago so I could enjoy webOS 2.0, and I've been loving it. That's the way it is when you're a mobile phone geek - you upgrade every year (at a minimum) or you're behind. Suck. It. Up.

Sorry ... had to get it off my chest. Anyway, guess I'm just an HP-loving shill. Hooray for today!
    Just keep in mind that many of the haters have low post counts, so they probably just signed up to complain. I think everything announced was great minus the release dates. Hardware is nothing to complain about IMHO.

EDIT: oh and some of the webOS phone to Tablet features rock!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I thought you said ****y
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    BTW I think everybody buys into this just around the corner. I mean yah I am going to get a million dollars just around the corner, soon.

I mean soon enough would've been a month or two for the tablet and less for the phone but if we do get non-OTA updates, then I'll be happy.

since when did our phone need to be as powerful as a computer to run its OS. Is this optimal??
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwlkr45 View Post
    The problem is, they're going to send the veer off to be trampled by the Iphone 5, and the Pre3 to be slapped aside by the Verizon I-4 I-5 dance...until I hear of T-mobile or sprint, the network where pre minuses like mine go to die ( with no replacement in sight) getting some love, I'm, well, a tad discombobulated....seeing as I would buy either of them in a heartbeat if I could....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Veer to compete with iPhone??? u crazy. Veer is a different market target than iPhone.

Pre 3 to be slapped aside by iPhone? seriously? look at iPhone upgrades... iPhone 5 will be nothing more than possibly an antenna upgrade. look at the history, Apple has very incremental upgrades and everyone applauds, Everyone else goes from night to day and "it's not an iPhone so it sux". - That's partly why I HATE the ifone. It's a piece of ####compared to some other hardware out there yet the average Joe keeps it on a pedestal... correction the average reviewer keeps it on a pedestal as well.
    Honestly, I don't like it when any company abandons firmware upgrades after dangling promises. That me off. Motorola did this with some of it's phones and Apple does also to some degree. Not to mention Samsung. That "something special" better be pretty good. And Pre 3 isn't even ready yet, so many are stuck on old firmware for a while, provided they haven't already left. Don't forget, many people are on contract or have limited income and can't just up and keep changing phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Just keep in mind that many of the haters have low post counts, so they probably just signed up to complain. I think everything announced was great minus the release dates. Hardware is nothing to complain about IMHO.
    You better re-look.

There are plenty of people across all sorts of post counts and time since registered that have been complaining.
    There's thread after thread about it.
    And that's all just on this site.

It is not fair for you to sit here and try to downplay all those people with a comment that can easily be shown to not be true.

VCI_Cell,
    I'm glad[I guess] that you are still happy, but the fact of the matter is most others aren't.
    In fact, there are very few people that are actually happy.

Just because you are doesn't mean other people should be.

But hey, I can say this much, I'm happy about it. Now I NO LONGER have to hear the whine about "android fragmentation". Welcome to fragmentation, population: WEBOS, ANDROID, IOS, BB OS and eventually coming to WM7 [if it lasts long enough]

[My mom was planning to get rid of her Pre so she doesn't have to worry about not getting 2.0]
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 02/10/2011 at 03:03 AM.
    Personally I'm with you. While yesterday I was a little hurt at first the Pre 3 is EXACTLY what I wanted. Not to big but bigger. PERFECT size. I am hopeing if it doesn't get released for sprint a radio board swap will be possible.
    The pre3 is exactly what I wanted as well..... a year ago!! .

The fact of the matter is everyone that is a member of this forum could be happy with the new hardware and be happy about waiting for it and purchase when it is released "in the summer". But if they don't have any market penetration beyond the people who already like the pre it is not going to matter in the long run. At this point in the cell phone game I don't know if they can do it with what they brought to the table. They don't have the following of apple. They don't have the variety of Android..
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I like the Pre3 and I think the Veer would make a good phone for my kids (if on the same network as Pre3).

I may not be happy but heck, it's just a phone, and when the time comes to buy the next one(s), I will buy something. Hope it's WebOS based.

Owning an old beat up Pre-, maybe an update to 2.1 is not a good idea, considering that HP is thinking the old Pre- is 500 MHz - hahaha.

In reality my Pre- does a lot of what I need and what it doesn't do, well. There isn't a phone out there that will do everything I want.
    Dan
    Thank you for this thread, VCI_Cell. This forum needed it.
    Before the 2.x not going to be released to 1.x devcices announcement I was tepid to the announcements. The Pre3 looks fantastic - but it would be more fantastic if it was released this spring rather than this summer. The touchpad lacking a gesture area is a bit worrying but could be OK.

My major concern is the fragmentation that not giving old devices 2.x and giving the tablet 3.x will cause. I'm not sure if developers are going to hang on waiting for 2.x devices to sell. The market for 2.x apps will be small small small just like a brand new launch. The tablet having 3.x OS is also confusing as this further fragments things.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    There's no perfect phone lol if you want to be able to do everything you can do on your laptop everywhere you go, just use your laptop everywhere you go. Everyone hates on everything it's ridiculous. I'm really liking this Palm phone I just got.
    My guess is that they will one of two directions:

1. Everything goes to 3.x and platforms remain the same (I doubt this)
    2. The 3.x code base is identical to the 2.x code but has additional modules added (like patches that we have today).

That will prevent any fragmentation because 3.x becomes a superset of 2.x