Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    And that long magazine demo...that just completely brought the whole keynote to a halt.
    To be fair, it was probably a condition of Time agreeing to give them their property.
    yeah good question about the timeframe, I do hope in the next few days they clean that up a bit and clarify some release dates as well as carriers. My thing is like most great products, but the summer wont cut it, and if that is the target release date for the tablet, and pre 3 they need to move that up to no later then march.
    also the Veer is nice, but I would have opted for a completly slab device instead. Also what happened to this mansion 4 or 5 inch slab device?
  4.    #24  
    This event raised way more questions than it answered, which is not good.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    also the Veer is nice, but I would have opted for a completly slab device instead. Also what happened to this mansion 4 or 5 inch slab device?
    Did it exist to start with? Did we ever have anything more than rumour to go on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Leo lied. Off to a great start.
    Leo the Late Bloomer...

http://asherelaborates.files.wordpre...6f1dimg100.jpg
    Who's flying this thing?
    I didn't look at the broadcast, you guys are scaring me, lol!

But on Engadget, the Pre 3 actually looks promising. But iPhone 5 is coming also in the summer. And iPad 2 will likely be released before the TouchPad. On the Android front, there are quite a few phones coming also. I also think an earlier release of HP products would be better. There are too many other options to not get your foot in the door now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Seems like 2009 all over again. Same day, different ish.
    Yes, I really wish they'd quit trying to compete against the iPhone in terms of same release time, they likely won't win on that front. The Pre 3 should have been available now and they should have just scrapped the Pre 2.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The pad coming out in the summer has me confused. Don't know what the hold up is there.

However, I understand why you won't see the Pre 3 until summer. It's using a processor that isn't even in production. The Veer on the other hand is using a processor that is in production and therefore, a release in March or April makes sense.

I like the Pre 3. Is it all spec'd out like a high end Droid device? No. But does it competes? Sure.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    by the time these phone launch they will be outdated. htc will probably blow us away with phones with high specs pretty soon. i sorta knew june or later would be hp's timeframe.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It just seems to defy all reason. HP had leverage, scale, yadda yadda. But even Palm could give a ballpark of first half of the year. Summer could be August.
    Could be 21 September. Statements like that are usually very carefully considered.
    The tablet 3.0 software must not be ready, evidence by the lag and lack of responsiveness on TouchPad. I wonder if they don't want to release the Pre3 until the TouchPad is ready so they can emphasize the Touch-to-Share functionality and stress enterprise stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I didn't look at the broadcast, you guys are scaring me, lol!

But on Engadget, the Pre 3 actually looks promising. But iPhone 5 is coming also in the summer. And iPad 2 will likely be released before the TouchPad. On the Android front, there are quite a few phones coming also. I also think an earlier release of HP products would be better. There are too many other options to not get your foot in the door now.
    Also HTC will release the HTC Flyer between now and April with Android 2.3. In June they will release one or two HTC tablets with Android 3.0 - hoping that the tablet released in June is a Verizon 3g/4g 7" tablet. The HTC Thunderbolt will be released this month or March.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    As someone who originally bought a Sprint Pre and fell in love with it, then moved onto an Evo to try out Android (along the way testing an n900 and an iPad) I'm ready for WebOS to make a comeback. My experience with Android for the last 6 months has been mostly positive and I think the future is bright for it, but I can't help but feeling like everything in the OS is tacked on as an afterthought. There is no cohesive flow between the apps like you get with WebOS that really make you understand it's all part of a bigger ecosystem. Most apps on android perform brilliantly on their own but when it comes time to work together problems tend to crop up.

As someone who is now outside checking in on WebOS from time to time I was excited by today's announcement (minus the release dates and lack of carriers). I can envision all types of usage scenarios where my Pre3 and Touchpad working in harmony would become my most used devices. I feel that the hardware in both devices is more than sufficient for WebOS to remain competitive for the next year or so. Just look at Apple, they never release devices with industry leading specs (other than the retina display). My only concern at this point in time is developer support. I see that Palm has listed that Adobe Flash 10.1 Beta will be available on the Touchpad and Pre3 but I am concerned that we are still being given a beta version when Android has had a full version for half a year or more. What about apps like Netflix and Hulu which are on the way for Android, but with no mention of WebOS support. When I left WebOS we were the number two mobile OS for gaming right behind iOS. Has that changed dramatically with the explosion of Android and the launching of WP7?

I guess my point is I see a lot of disappointed members here complaining about the release date, the lack of form factor differentiation, and no dual core or 4g options on the new devices. I understand where some of their concerns are coming from, but don't let that take away from the fact that you now have some very nice pieces of hardware coming to market along with a very polished OS.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by y2ktibltd View Post
    As someone who originally bought a Sprint Pre and fell in love with it, then moved onto an Evo to try out Android (along the way testing an n900 and an iPad) I'm ready for WebOS to make a comeback. My experience with Android for the last 6 months has been mostly positive and I think the future is bright for it, but I can't help but feeling like everything in the OS is tacked on as an afterthought. There is no cohesive flow between the apps like you get with WebOS that really make you understand it's all part of a bigger ecosystem. Most apps on android perform brilliantly on their own but when it comes time to work together problems tend to crop up.

As someone who is now outside checking in on WebOS from time to time I was excited by today's announcement (minus the release dates and lack of carriers). I can envision all types of usage scenarios where my Pre3 and Touchpad working in harmony would become my most used devices. I feel that the hardware in both devices is more than sufficient for WebOS to remain competitive for the next year or so. Just look at Apple, they never release devices with industry leading specs (other than the retina display). My only concern at this point in time is developer support. I see that Palm has listed that Adobe Flash 10.1 Beta will be available on the Touchpad and Pre3 but I am concerned that we are still being given a beta version when Android has had a full version for half a year or more. What about apps like Netflix and Hulu which are on the way for Android, but with no mention of WebOS support. When I left WebOS we were the number two mobile OS for gaming right behind iOS. Has that changed dramatically with the explosion of Android and the launching of WP7?

I guess my point is I see a lot of disappointed members here complaining about the release date, the lack of form factor differentiation, and no dual core or 4g options on the new devices. I understand where some of their concerns are coming from, but don't let that take away from the fact that you now have some very nice pieces of hardware coming to market along with a very polished OS.
    All of the acceleration and relative smoothness of WebOS on the Pre 3 is negated by the laggy mess of WebOS on the TouchPad - which of course is the product they spent the vast majority of today's presentation on, and probably the bulk of development time.

There doesn't appear to be much "polish" in the native apps either.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    All of the acceleration and relative smoothness of WebOS on the Pre 3 is negated by the laggy mess of WebOS on the TouchPad - which of course is the product they spent the vast majority of today's presentation on, and probably the bulk of development time.

There doesn't appear to be much "polish" in the native apps either.
    Are you trolling him or something? The only lag I saw was the HTML email not loading properly until he moved it.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
  18.    #38  
    You must be joking.

Check Dieter's hands-on video. EVERY movement of the cards from side-to-side is choppy. That starts at 1:12 or so.

The swipe through notifications/triage at 2:03 is an embarrassment. Just atrocious.

When he starts moving email panes at 2:20, you can actually see frames drop. Scrolling up and down the email is choppy. Scrolling through the inbox is choppy.

It's unacceptable on a mobile OS powered by a dual core processor.
    was interested in the pre3 but then i saw what the perspective release date was.... sucks. what happend to release in weeks. i think the summer release of the pre3 is to late and is a big mistake.
    My personal theory is that no carriers are on board yet. They have instead decided to wait and gauge the excitement for these devices based on this event. If there was enough excitement, then perhaps they will go ahead, and we will have the device a little earlier than summer.

I know that something similar happened with the original iPhone: many carriers decided to wait and see the response before signing on.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast