1.    #1  
    I just had an incredible idea: what if webOS internals sold new devices which had Preware pre-installed plus a handful of the best patches already applied? Maybe HP could allow them some distribution to certain retailers?

They could be Preware Edition (think the little penguin on the top corner)

Plus, there would of course be a small surcharge by which webOS internals could raise funds! Win-win?

Soooo...webOS internals, got anything you're going to announce on February 9th?
    That doesn't look plausible.
    If the purpose is to raise money, why not just sell said "little penguin" stickers instead; or give them away to people who make donations?
    Managing any kind of purchase program would just take valuable volunteer free time away from development.

Any fund raising we do has to be at minimal incremental cost in time and effort, since those are the precious scarce resources for our developers.

We do appreciate the kind thoughts though

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
    I just had an incredible idea: what if webOS internals sold new devices which had Preware pre-installed plus a handful of the best patches already applied?
    HP won't do this because it becomes a support nightmare. That would be providing tacit HP support for the idea of encouraging people to go out and install software that has had little or no vetting or stability review. People would then call HP to complain when things broke, or when an upgrade came out and their patch went away.

I'm taking nothing away from the homebrew devs; they do a great job, I use them a lot myself, and have converted others, but there are a great many people that I would not encourage to use it, because my phone would never stop ringing.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.