Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP Aims to Bridge Gap Between Desktops and Tablets CIO.com

the week is heating up...there are some nice hints on the webOS connectivity front from HP executives in this article...

Seems like one should buy a Touchsmart for content creation and buy a tablet for content consumation.
    They seem to be separating the specific aim of devices, nice one!
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    HP Aims to Bridge Gap Between Desktops and Tablets CIO.com

the week is heating up...there are some nice hints on the webOS connectivity front from HP executives in this article...

Seems like one should buy a Touchsmart for content creation and buy a tablet for content consumation.
    They seem to be separating the specific aim of devices, nice one!
    They just killed themselves if that's the case. They just extremely limited webos's potential... Off to read the article

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    This guy lost me when ge said HP acquired palm in October...

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    This guy lost me when ge said HP acquired palm in October...

he even said, they aquired webOS from Palm in october

But doesn't matter how much background knowledge the author has.

The event he is writing about took place today morning. He should remember what the HP execs said to him 2 hours ago. So i think the quotes are correct.
    he even said, they aquired webOS from Palm in october

But doesn't matter how much background knowledge the author has.

The event he is writing about took place today morning. He should remember what the HP execs said to him 2 hours ago .
    Most consumers and especially most enterprise will not want a tablet w/o the ability to create content.

Unless I'm off in what "content" actually means

6.    #6  
    Most consumers and especially most enterprise will not want a tablet w/o the ability to create content.

Unless I'm off in what "content" actually means

In my opinion, "content creation" here means the creation of apps, office presentations, immersive videos, etc.

I don't think that means, that the webOS tablet won't get basic office or video editing tools, etc.
    But you won't be able to create THAT high-quality content with a tablet, than with a PC.

A tablet is MAINLY a consuming device, whereas a PC is MAINLY a creation device.
    Can you second that?
    This is the only part that really worries me:

But HP's current all-in-ones are based on the Windows 7 OS, and mobile devices may contain different operating systems, a situation that may not change, Godkin said. For IT managers that is a nightmare, but multiple operating systems can be loaded on a single all-in-one through virtualized environments, and developers will be able to switch between operating systems without rebooting the system.
    I reeeeeaaaaaallllly hope that their vision isn't bolting on WebOS to Windows and having people switch between the two. WebOS should be a Web site page (the cloud) and maybe a desktop media sync app on Windows. Nothing more.
    i think what they were getting at was that the pcs were geared towards, but not limited to creation, and the tablets were geared towards, but not limited to consumption
    In my opinion, "content creation" here means the creation of apps, office presentations, immersive videos, etc.

I don't think that means, that the webOS tablet won't get basic office or video editing tools, etc.
    But you won't be able to create THAT high-quality content with a tablet, than with a PC.

A tablet is MAINLY a consuming device, whereas a PC is MAINLY a creation device.
    Can you second that?
    I think the iPad has proved this model wrong

probably won't see many ipad usrs doing video capture and rendering... But they will watch them on the pad. That's all he means by that.
    I'm also a little confused as to why they just announced new All-in-Ones with the TouchSmart layer atop of them with the "TouchSmart Apps Center" which includes "apps" for Netflix and Hulu. Seems TouchSmart is ahead of WebOS in the content consumption area.

And does this mean they will have dual OS apps for those if/when WebOS ever gets in on the Netflix/Hulu game?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This is the only part that really worries me:

I reeeeeaaaaaallllly hope that their vision isn't bolting on WebOS to Windows and having people switch between the two. WebOS should be a Web site page (the cloud) and maybe a desktop media sync app on Windows. Nothing more.
    I think the success (or failure) if this was the case, would depend on how well they implemented the virtualzation. Unlike the old "reboot into a different OS", virtualization is pretty nice, when it works. The last job I had, we had virtualized all of our servers. It was nice to sit on a monitor for one piece of hardware, and pop back and forth between the 6 different servers. One physical server even had the 6 workstations that users logged into remotely.

Virtualization is sweet, but like the rest of the challenges HP is facing, a seamless implementation will be crucial.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm also a little confused as to why they just announced new All-in-Ones with the TouchSmart layer atop of them with the "TouchSmart Apps Center" which includes "apps" for Netflix and Hulu. Seems TouchSmart is ahead of WebOS in the content consumption area.

And does this mean they will have dual OS apps for those if/when WebOS ever gets in on the Netflix/Hulu game?
    Politics? I'd guess the Touchsmart boys are fighting for their turf. Hell, many companies would encourage the internal competition to drive innovation (such a model has it's downsides as well as Microsoft found out - the end result being duplication of functionality like livesync, livemesh, livesyncmesh).

Edit: em.. ok - having looked into it, yeah it's pretty confusing, why do I need WebOS to manage PIM via virtulization when I can do that already via touchsmart? (see: http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hho/us/en/...k-weather.html)

I guess the other way to look at it is that WebOS will be purely for tablets and phones and because all of your information is in the cloud anyway, you'll manage it on your PC via touchsmart without a hint of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Politics? I'd guess the Touchsmart boys are fighting for their turf. Hell, many companies would encourage the internal competition to drive innovation (such a model has it's downsides as well as Microsoft found out - the end result being duplication of functionality like livesync, livemesh, livesyncmesh).

Edit: em.. ok - having looked into it, yeah it's pretty confusing, why do I need WebOS to manage PIM via virtulization when I can do that already via touchsmart? (see: HP TouchSmart Apps: Calendar, Clock and Weather)

I guess the other way to look at it is that WebOS will be purely for tablets and phones and because all of your information is in the cloud anyway, you'll manage it on your PC via touchsmart without a hint of WebOS.
    The other confusing thing is that they are positioning this for "developers", who would of course already have a virtual environment with the SDK/PDK. Then, there's talk of IT managers using this to put a virtual environment on enterprise desktops, so you would ostensibly flip back on your corporate Touchsmart PC between Windows and WebOS for some ungodly reason.

Let's hope Feb.9's announcement has a defining vision for consumers and enterprise, and that they can get their execs on the same page as far as messaging.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Indeed, looking at this, it and the timing of the announcement, surely this all fits together somehow? Right?
    I think the iPad has proved this model wrong

If that was the case, then it would be cannibalizing much more than just MacBook sales.

If I were in the market for a new PC, and I found out that there's a touchscreen PC out there that can also run webOS, I would definitely buy it. It would be a boost to my development, and depending on how well it integrates with webOS, it would make it much easier to do things such as transfer photos/videos and office documents, as well as managing your Palm Profile in terms of what apps you might want to carry on a given device or providing a hub from which all your webOS devices can sync up, sort of a "cloud" without the cloud. It would be much easier to manage than using, for example, iTunes for your iOS devices.

That of course is how I would want to use this thing if it does have some sort of webOS integration, but I'm still excited to see what they have in store for this.
    The palm blog showing that 8 sec video made a comment about "what you think you see". This makes me think the video was intentionally deceptive.

-The video plays after clicking a huge pic outline of a tablet.
    - what if the "two halves" everyone sees as evidence of a slider are actually two devices?
    - what if the tablet used the phone's camera?
    - what if that ringer switch or charging port is actually a release latch?

I feel pretty confident that at least one of my assumptions are true.

Only after tomorrow will it make sense why they wanted you to click on a pic of a tablet to then make you see what you think is video of a phone.

18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    The palm blog showing that 8 sec video made a comment about "what you think you see". This makes me think the video was intentionally deceptive.

-The video plays after clicking a huge pic outline of a tablet.
    - what if the "two halves" everyone sees as evidence of a slider are actually two devices?
    - what if the tablet used the phone's camera?
    - what if that ringer switch or charging port is actually a release latch?

I feel pretty confident that at least one of my assumptions are true.

I think they are all wrong... roll on weds...
    I stopped reading the article when the guy wrote HP aquired webOS from Palm in October.
    My question is "Why?" Who's creating this artificial separation of tasks? Is it because of some limitation in tablets that make them unsuitable for content creation? (e.g. CPU or GPU limitations, input device limitation, etc.)

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this statement. After all, it seems a tablet seems to find itself between an I/O device (think projector, digital camera, audio input) and a dedicated processing device. Publishers use cameras for grabbing stills and some basic digital photography processing, but still go to PCs to do their layouts or any heavy processing.

Point is, if the limitations can be overcome, I don't see any reason that a tablet can't also be a content creation device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast