Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Side note, any phone that would be able to internally dock with a normal tablet so it could transfer the screen and interface would be a worthless piece of junk that nobody would want in the first place.

Having an external docking pod and an internal docking port are two completely different concepts, but I don't believe a docking pod would work with a tablet at all. How stupid would having a phone hanging off the end or the side of a tablet be? It would be a joke.
    Of course, it wouldn't be "docking", which is what we're discussing, but I could see a wristwatch phone that was tethered to a tablet via BT (or some other radio).
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Because nobody wants to buy a dumbphone with an e-ink display.
    I would. If it was done right.
    Something that makes a light, easy to use, easy to read (maybe even on my wrist) phone, then gives you all of the "smartphone" functions on yoru tablet when it's attached (wirelessly if needed).

Yeah, in a heartbeat.
    I've thought about this concept for awhile, but couldn't envision an acceptable phone that would then fit seamlessly into a tablet. It would be a nice form factor if they've figured it out. Depending on how they handle memory, processor and storage it could also save money for folks who want both.

I just felt too many compromises in a phone would be needed for the compatibility.

Certainly using the 4G radio in the phone is going to happen though.

I think I'd still want both separate if there were significant compromises to either.

They should still do it for competitive purposes though.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So you talk into your wristwatch **** Tracy style? Or, do you use a bluetooth headset? If you are using a bluetooth headset then why isn't that just connected to the mandatory tablet or smartphone? I don't quite see what the purpose of the wristwatch phone is other than to be a geek.
    I think the advantage of the mini-phone would be you could still have access to display and notifications without carrying the tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    While I don't know if we'll see anything like what the patent was mentioning, I find that absolute lack of imagination and thought quite disturbing. What if the phone part was extremely small and thin with some low power small display (maybe e-ink, or some power sipping display) that only showed the time, caller info, and maybe small notification flags? What if this phone just had a 600-700mAH battery, and was really just a...phone...not a PDA/Computer like our current smartphones? What if this device could wirelessly provide a hotspot for the tablet, and wirelessly charge from the tablet, but maybe also have a thin slot that you could insert the phone into, SD card style (just longer), where the phone could charge off the much larger tablet battery, while also providing a lower powered wired connection between the phone and tablet for data and calls?

This would be something for people who want to have a tablet around most of the time, but need to take calls, and who don't really have a need for a smartphone if the tablet is serving the purpose. The slot also provides a means to avoid carrying two devices separately.

Use your imagination folks. Some of you are way too closed minded. This is like the separate keyboard discussions. If you can carry a tablet with a very thin and light wireless keyboard that attaches to the tablet, and also allows the tablet to pivot up and into a pseudo laptop like position, it would be valuable to a lot of people. Similar concept.

I really don't know why so many get this headstrong notion of "no it can't!" going in their minds.
    Then the device would be an epic failure, it would kill webOS and HP/Palms venture into the mobile arena while simultaneously becoming the biggest joke in the tech world for years.

How many people would like to carry a tablet with them everywhere they go? To the store, to your friend's house, to the baseball game, in the car, etc. I'll answer that. Almost nobody. There's a reason smartphones have exploded onto the scene, and it's because they offer portable computing that fits in your pocket. No tablet can efficiently replace a smartphone, and no dumb phone/tablet combination can, either.

Is there a niche market for such a ridiculous device? Sure. I'm sure HP/Palm could sell one or two dozen of the devices on weirdness factor alone. Maybe even another 1,000 to clueless customers. It'd be a huge success if HP/Palm was actually a guy named Steve working out of his garage.

This is just stupid. The whole concept is ridiculous. Being different is good, but being stupid different is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I think the advantage of the mini-phone would be you could still have access to display and notifications without carrying the tablet.
    If the mini phone was a Palm Pixi, but not if it's a dumb phone.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    most of the world doesn't want a big smartphone. they are happy with a regular simple small one. maybe hp is going to make the most simple (smart)phone ever? and to make happy the hitech guys(like us) they'll use the cloud to connect that phone to a tablet and laptop and desktop and big 3d screen and printer,and,and and...

and for the 4 " screen lovers , a super device too. and in that way everybody is happy?
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course, it wouldn't be "docking", which is what we're discussing, but I could see a wristwatch phone that was tethered to a tablet via BT (or some other radio).
    I have one of the SE live-views (in conjunction with a project, I wouldn't use it myself), hopefully Palm could do it a lot better than that because it sucks.

The problem with any sort of wristwatch phone is that there are so many usage scenarios where it's worse than useless (because of the need to verbalize your responses). A wrist device for notifications is an idea that has traction, the wrist being the actual device, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    and for the 4 " screen lovers , a super device too. and in that way everybody is happy?
    Everyone is happy for like two months, then they want something else. It's like the smartphone community has ADHD with respect to smartphones.
    a phone which slides into a pad is bull****.

if i want to call with my pad, it should just have a phone app and a bluetooth headset. i dont look like a jerk (because i am holding a 10" screen next to my ear) and it consumes less energy and is cheaper.

hp will build more devices, if they all have to fit into the pad, they will all lot much the same. if the design is not popular all are doomed. maybe there will be a physical connection port, but i would prefere something like the magnetic mac port.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So you talk into your wristwatch **** Tracy style? Or, do you use a bluetooth headset? If you are using a bluetooth headset then why isn't that just connected to the mandatory tablet or smartphone? I don't quite see what the purpose of the wristwatch phone is other than to be a geek.
    My preference (and again, this is 100% speculation/wishful thinking) would be talk into a BT, but can use the watch without, if needed.

Why would it be better than BT to the tablet? I take a watch places I don't (and wouldn't) take a tablet.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    if i want to call with my pad, it should just have a phone app and a bluetooth headset. i dont look like a jerk (because i am holding a 10" screen next to my ear)
    I'd say it's kind of a tossup as to whether one looks like more of a jerk jabbering into a 10" tablet or a Bluetooth headset.

I am intrigued by the idea of the dockable semi-dumb phone and I've gone over it in my head a few times, but I always stumble when I get to the part about how it and the tablet/netbook would elegantly handle things like SMS and (especially) MMS. Ideas? Keep them completely separate? Integrate and sync them somehow?
  13.    #153  
    Its a stone all right, almost the size of a Pre.

But the rock turns into one of those rectangle Android phones, does not even have the panache of the Pre design, although they try to use the same water stone concept.

I don't really care about Android, glad HP event is less than a day away so we can hear about HP phones, not android phones, not iphones, not win7 or BB....
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Everyone is happy for like two months, then they want something else. It's like the smartphone community has ADHD with respect to smartphones.
    that is soooo true
    Then the device would be an epic failure, it would kill webOS and HP/Palms venture into the mobile arena while simultaneously becoming the biggest joke in the tech world for years.

How many people would like to carry a tablet with them everywhere they go? To the store, to your friend's house, to the baseball game, in the car, etc. I'll answer that. Almost nobody. There's a reason smartphones have exploded onto the scene, and it's because they offer portable computing that fits in your pocket. No tablet can efficiently replace a smartphone, and no dumb phone/tablet combination can, either.

Is there a niche market for such a ridiculous device? Sure. I'm sure HP/Palm could sell one or two dozen of the devices on weirdness factor alone. Maybe even another 1,000 to clueless customers. It'd be a huge success if HP/Palm was actually a guy named Steve working out of his garage.

This is just stupid. The whole concept is ridiculous. Being different is good, but being stupid different is not.
    It might appeal to women. Every woman I know doesn't carry there phone in their pocket (or if they do its a jacket pocket/not pants). My wife actually uses a little (designer, but not sure which one) pouch that holds her phone, a bit of cash, and her id/credit cards. As long as it fit in her purse/diaper bag and wasn't huge, she'd buy one.
    Ooops should add, I'm liking the idea of an ultra small (dockable or not) dumbphone that is tethered to a more feature packed tablet. Such would fit in my pocket a lot easier, and I can whip the tablet out of my bag when I need to do anything involving the internet/email/addressbook stuff. All it would have to do is be 1) comfortable to use and 2) let me see who the caller is/let me pickup/hangup on calls.
    At least some people get it. What really amazes me is the bashing of the e-ink. I wasn't saying it would, but that it could, assuming it was more of a dumb phone with just notifications and a display to dial upon.

One group of people I can think of who would really go for this (assuming the phone and tablet were a package deal) would be certain frequently travelers who don't want to carry a laptop. I already see these folks whipping out an iPad on the airplane, then using their smartphone for calls. Why carry both? If you are going to take and use the tablet, why not have a really small dumphone that fits into the tablet. One that sips battery power, so it isn't large and can use the much larger tablet battery to charge it up some if you need to make a call. The tablet can use the phone for wireless service, either via hot spot, or through a direct connection when docked.

This isn't necessarily something I want, nor would I be the target market any more than a feature phone would. My market is as a power user using smartphones. But I am not the entire market, not even a significant portion (more like a small minority). Some here fail to see that not every phone has to target them to be successful.

If they do my theory of having a small phone that fits into a tablet and then the tablet uses the eternals of the phone as processor and such -- then you COULD have a 3.5 inch screen on the phone and have that be "ultra thin" and slide it into the tablet. That way when you're at home or even on the go (if you going on a plane or what not) you can have the larger screen but when your in a rush or don't have room for the tablet screen, you just use the phone and it be "good enough" for you.

And if you don't think 3.5 inch screen is big enough, then the iPhone -- that really sets the bar -- is not big enough. And they could see the phone for 150-200, while selling the screen as a add on of 200-300 (total cost 400-500, plus tax) which is about what an iPad costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    I'd say it's kind of a tossup as to whether one looks like more of a jerk jabbering into a 10" tablet or a Bluetooth headset.

I am intrigued by the idea of the dockable semi-dumb phone and I've gone over it in my head a few times, but I always stumble when I get to the part about how it and the tablet/netbook would elegantly handle things like SMS and (especially) MMS. Ideas? Keep them completely separate? Integrate and sync them somehow?
    Actually, if you had a semi-dockable dumbphone I would want it to only have a 2or3 line display to keep the size down. Ideally the dumbphone would be about the size of a stick of gum but maybe 1 1/2 times the normal length (so it's easier to hold). Just enough to do caller ID and let you know if you get an SMS or MMS and let you know who sent it. While you could probably read SMS's on it, you'd need to get the tablet out of your bag to get anything better.
    I'm telling you guys, it's got to be a wrist device. Check out the PAAAALLLLMMM!!! video they linked to:

Notice the guy's wrist.

They put it up there right in front of us, and even swore Nostrodamus to secrecy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast