Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 162
  1. #121  
    Think about how much more you can do with today's phones, though.
  2. #122  
    DG, I don't think you understand why RIM thought the iPhone was impossible. They were suggesting that a phone could never do what the iPhone supposedly could do with the battery life Apple claimed. They took the battery life into account. They just didn't believe it was possible because they couldn't imagine a smartphone engineered in a way that allowed for such a large battery. The iPhone broke a lot of paradigms.
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Just because I think the idea is nuts, does not mean it is not worth discussing with people who hold other views.
    Ahhh. I see. So, your view is that you find the "speculation to be absurd on the face of it" but the speculation is worthy.

    OK.
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    DG, I don't think you understand why RIM thought the iPhone was impossible. They were suggesting that a phone could never do what the iPhone supposedly could do with the battery life Apple claimed. They took the battery life into account. They just didn't believe it was possible because they couldn't imagine a smartphone engineered in a way that allowed for such a large battery. The iPhone broke a lot of paradigms.
    Of course, those of us that had been using Treos for years knew that a smartphone could do all that stuff with existing batteries.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ahhh. I see. So, your view is that you find the "speculation to be absurd on the face of it" but the speculation is worthy.

    OK.
    I think the only discussions worth having are the ones that present a different view from my own. Can't imagine why you are confused. I think the premise of this kangaroo tablet is absurd. Others don't. Worthy discussion.
  6. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    anything with moving parts is always a possible point of failure. is it your opinion that things should cease to exist with moving parts?
    YEEESSS!

    The iPad has very few points of failure, which might account for why it does not fail very much. You can break the screen, which is hard to do, destroy the home button, equally hard, or rip off the volume and mute button. Same with the iPhone. The fewer points of failure, the less often it will fail. Down with moving parts!
  7. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #128  
    Also, he does not want to charge his phone in the car because it just depletes his fuel tank faster, what a useless tradeoff.
  8. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #129  
    2009 patent, Palm Inc.

    POWER BRIDGE CIRCUIT FOR BI-DIRECTIONAL WIRELESS POWER TRANSMISSION

    Excerpt: "a mobile computing device may ... link with another mobile computing device or headset that requires power, in which case the inductive signal interface operates in a power transmit mode"

    POWER BRIDGE CIRCUIT FOR BI-DIRECTIONAL WIRELESS POWER TRANSMISSION - Patent Application 20110018356
  9. #130  
    Personally, I don't get the whole necessity of the docking concept. I think palm had it right the first time with wireless syncing on the Foleo. Why should you have to physically dock the smartphone to a tablet or laptop? Just my .02...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10. #131  
    Here is an example of moving parts gone awry. I am going on record as saying this is a really bad idea. I give it two weeks of regular use before the number of warranty repairs equals sales.
  11. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    Do you even read the thread before posting? probably not.

    Tethering is unrealistic. If I tether right now, my battery is dead in 45 min from a full charge. Its just not happening.
    Ever heard of this new fangled technology called "wireless"? You can actually charge your phone while using WiFi tethering... at the same time! Amazing. I've been doing it with my Pre for years. Again, docking the phone with the tablet adds little functionality unless the phone is going to use the tablet as a display, turning the tablet into something like a desktop workstation with a dock.
  12. #133  
    Side note, any phone that would be able to internally dock with a normal tablet so it could transfer the screen and interface would be a worthless piece of junk that nobody would want in the first place.

    Having an external docking pod and an internal docking port are two completely different concepts, but I don't believe a docking pod would work with a tablet at all. How stupid would having a phone hanging off the end or the side of a tablet be? It would be a joke.
  13. #134  
    While I don't know if we'll see anything like what the patent was mentioning, I find that absolute lack of imagination and thought quite disturbing. What if the phone part was extremely small and thin with some low power small display (maybe e-ink, or some power sipping display) that only showed the time, caller info, and maybe small notification flags? What if this phone just had a 600-700mAH battery, and was really just a...phone...not a PDA/Computer like our current smartphones? What if this device could wirelessly provide a hotspot for the tablet, and wirelessly charge from the tablet, but maybe also have a thin slot that you could insert the phone into, SD card style (just longer), where the phone could charge off the much larger tablet battery, while also providing a lower powered wired connection between the phone and tablet for data and calls?

    This would be something for people who want to have a tablet around most of the time, but need to take calls, and who don't really have a need for a smartphone if the tablet is serving the purpose. The slot also provides a means to avoid carrying two devices separately.

    Use your imagination folks. Some of you are way too closed minded. This is like the separate keyboard discussions. If you can carry a tablet with a very thin and light wireless keyboard that attaches to the tablet, and also allows the tablet to pivot up and into a pseudo laptop like position, it would be valuable to a lot of people. Similar concept.

    I really don't know why so many get this headstrong notion of "no it can't!" going in their minds.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #135  
    maybe e-ink
    E-ink? That would absolutely suck as a phone. E-ink has a lot of uses but a phone display is way down on the list.

    Some of you are way too closed minded.
    Seriously, some ideas are just silly (given current technology), there is no point any of us going "that's a great idea" when we think that it terrible. Some design ideas are just bad.

    Use your imagination folks. Some of you are way too closed minded. This is like the separate keyboard discussions. If you can carry a tablet with a very thin and light wireless keyboard that attaches to the tablet, and also allows the tablet to pivot up and into a pseudo laptop like position, it would be valuable to a lot of people. Similar concept.
    No that's completely different because you are taking about a peripheral; this is a discussion about mobile device plugged into a nomadic device - completely different usages scenarios, completely different set of spatial and temporal issues.
    Last edited by CGK; 02/08/2011 at 04:05 AM.
  15. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    E-ink? That would absolutely suck as a phone. E-ink has a lot of uses but a phone display is way down on the list.



    Seriously, some ideas are just silly (given current technology), there is no point any of us going "that's a great idea" when we think that it terrible. Some design ideas are just bad.



    No that's completely different because you are taking about a peripheral; this is a discussion about mobile device plugged into a nomadic device - completely different usages scenarios, completely different set of spatial and temporal issues.
    You clearly don't understand the concept. The display could be something like an e-ink display because it would be so small you aren't using it as a smartphone, just a PHONE!! You could still have simple notifications and such. More likely it could be something like the flexible displays that HP has been working on. You just keep demonstrating your lack of imagination. How is a phone only a peripheral to a tablet? See what I mean. You don't understand the market this would target.

    Why do some of you continue to fail to understand that the market is bigger than just YOUR needs?
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #137  
    How is a phone only a peripheral to a tablet?
    if you are going to say I show a lack of imagination please tackle me on what I ACTUALLY said not what you misread.
  17. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Why do some of you continue to fail to understand that the market is bigger than just YOUR needs?
    Because nobody wants to buy a dumbphone with an e-ink display.
  18. Evansgw
    Evansgw's Avatar
    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    2009 patent, Palm Inc.

    POWER BRIDGE CIRCUIT FOR BI-DIRECTIONAL WIRELESS POWER TRANSMISSION

    Excerpt: "a mobile computing device may ... link with another mobile computing device or headset that requires power, in which case the inductive signal interface operates in a power transmit mode"

    POWER BRIDGE CIRCUIT FOR BI-DIRECTIONAL WIRELESS POWER TRANSMISSION - Patent Application 20110018356
    This would be awesome, stick your phone on top or next to the tablet and it charges, a la touchstone, and provides a hotspot for you to browse.
  19. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    You clearly don't understand the concept. The display could be something like an e-ink display because it would be so small you aren't using it as a smartphone, just a PHONE!! You could still have simple notifications and such. More likely it could be something like the flexible displays that HP has been working on. You just keep demonstrating your lack of imagination. How is a phone only a peripheral to a tablet? See what I mean. You don't understand the market this would target.

    Why do some of you continue to fail to understand that the market is bigger than just YOUR needs?

    Yeah. A smartphone is some ways makes a crappy phone. It isn't that comfortable to use and hard to use (I can dial my home phone without looking, but can't do that with an iPhone). A smartphone also makes a crappy tablet/internet browser due to its size. A tablet with a handset would be awesome. However I don't think HP will release such a device, but still, if they did, I would buy it.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions