Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Usage scenario: you sometimes carry both a phone and a tablet with you.

Would you want that it is possible to charge the phone from the tablet? Absolutely yes.

Is it easier to design 1000 mAh of additional battery capacity into the tablet or into the phone? Into the tablet. The increased size and weight would destroy the phone form factor, but has almost negligible effect in the larger tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post

Would you want that it is possible to charge the phone from the tablet? Absolutely yes.

Is it easier to design 1000 mAh of additional battery capacity into the tablet or into the phone? Into the tablet. The increased size and weight would destroy the phone form factor, but has almost negligible effect in the larger tablet.
    Pick your poison. You can have a phone with long battery life, or a tablet with long battery life. With the docking formfactor being described, one will have to leach off the other. You can't have it both ways.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    If my tablet battery is 5000 mAh and my phone battery is 1000 mAh, then charging 500 mAh from tablet to phone will deplete tablet battery by 10% and increase phone battery status by 50%. A very good tradeoff in many situations, especially when your phone is running out of juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post

I'm with you all the way as long as you are saying 10,000mAh and not 1,000mAh... Cuz and extra 1Ah isn't going to even double the current Pre battery. I want a 12 hour wifi pad, and a 12 hour phone. And I mean 12 hours of real use... But I agree totally that I want my devices to be able to share resources. Maybe not HAVE to share them, but available if I want it.

I keep going back to the ideal of being able to keep my phone small by leveraging a palmpad display for non-calling activity.

I know there are some here that are SURE that this CAN'T work, but unless they are hardware engineers for a phone maker, I'm guessing they migjt not really KNOW, and might have thought the iphone wasn't possible until it was invented by someone that didn't realize it was impossible.

I'm going to just assume it's possible, and focus on why I'll buy it when someone makes it.

and on wed, we will have more info on what H/Palm thinks is possible.
    I don't think you have to be an engineer to know that battery tech has not advanced all that much in the last few months. Sure, you can make such a device. But just how large and thick do you want this tablet to be? HP is trying to build something that is like an iPad from all reports. No way they are going to build something three times as thick to accommodate a phone, plus extra battery. Just putting the phone in it pushes it beyond a reasonable weight.

I find the speculation to be absurd on the face of it. This does not solve any consumer problem, manufacturer problem, design problem, carrier problem, or retail problem. It creates problems in all of the above categories. It's not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    What makes you think they HAVE to leach off each other?

Why cant they each have their own battery life? You're just throwing out negative comments now.
    If the phone is charging from the tablet, it is draining the tablet's battery, and vice-versa.
    Impossible?

The link speaks for itself. And they knew a lot more than you about the mobile device world.
    I know. That is one of the funniest tech stories in recent history. What's your point?

There is absolutely no reasoning behind your premise that the phone would HAVE to charge off of the tablet.
    My reasoning is that people in this thread were expressing a desire for their phone to be able to charge from the tablet. Once someone enables that option, the leaching begins. What am I saying that you are objecting to?
    Really people give it a break . No need to argue about it . We will all find out soon enough .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Really people give it a break . No need to argue about it . We will all find out soon enough .

Until then, what would you have us discuss, the weather? This was an interesting bit of speculation from one of the most respected tech blogs. Seems reasonable to discuss the merits of it.
    Sounded more like arguing in these last few posts . Just sayin .

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11.    #111  
    if "Connectivity" could mean simply plugging into pad, laptop, netbook to charge rather than using a cord, I'd be for that.

"Connectivity" could also just mean the various devices share the same operating system and have a wireless tap to share.
    HP seems to be using this idea above.for the something "big". If so, is the something "small", a tablet? And a phone isn't referred to specifically, at all in the slogan but is just lumped in with all webOS devices?
    I see almost no value in docking a phone into a tablet.

1) Battery life. It's unrealistic to assume any tablet released will have more than 7000mAh of capacity, especially if there is a large chunk of the device carved out for a phone. The phone will take at least 20% of the tablet's power to charge, and it will be a much slower transfer than from an outlet. Carrying around a tablet all the time as if it were a phone just so you can have a 'portable' charger is ridiculous.

2) Functionality. Just what sort of functionality enhancement would the tablet receive from the phone that it couldn't already get from tethering? Maybe playing games on the tablet that you've already downloaded on your phone or something where the tablet becomes an external UI and display for the phone? I guess it's nice to have a tidy phone carrier, but at what cost? A thick brick of a tablet?

This really just sounds like the tablet becomes the phone, and this mini-phone is also available to make/take phone calls. I think it's unlikely people would want to adopt this form function, but maybe HP has done enough research internally for this concept to prove out?
    It will most likely be a connection just for transferring data more than anything else . Not for charging purposes . I wouldn't think so anyways .

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    no its not called tethering. Its called docking. Similar except because they share a radio, they cannot be charged as dual devices.
    The Motorola Atrix does the same thing -- the phone docks into a laptop shell. AT&T requires a tethering plan for docked data usage.

It's absolute BS but it sets precedent and we all know how the carriers operate. It's monkey see, monkey do.
    It will most likely be a connection just for transferring data more than anything else . Not for charging purposes . I wouldn't think so anyways.
    That makes a lot more sense than the fantasy, kangaroo dock that was being described.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I find the speculation to be absurd on the face of it. This does not solve any consumer problem, manufacturer problem, design problem, carrier problem, or retail problem. It creates problems in all of the above categories. It's not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Until then, what would you have us discuss, the weather? This was an interesting bit of speculation from one of the most respected tech blogs. Seems reasonable to discuss the merits of it.
    I don't quite see how these two disparate views merge. How is speculation that's "abusurd on the face of it" make for "an interesting bit of speculation" that's "reasonable to discuss" the merits?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great discussion. I can see the possibility, though I don't really think it's what we're going to see. However, to dismiss the speculation as absurd is a bit off...
    Tethering is unrealistic. If I tether right now, my battery is dead in 45 min from a full charge. Its just not happening.
    Sounds like you have a bad battery to me. I can tether over Bluetooth for a lot longer than that.
    It will most likely be a connection just for transferring data more than anything else . Not for charging purposes . I wouldn't think so anyways .
    Palm devices have traditionally used the data transfer port as a charging port. Even when you had the tiny connector that plugged into the botton of the Treo, it was the same port (you just plugged the charger into the sync cable when using the cable).

I can't see two different ports, two different openings, two different weaknesses in the case design, when one opening can handle it, and has in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't quite see how these two disparate views merge. How is speculation that's "abusurd on the face of it" make for "an interesting bit of speculation" that's "reasonable to discuss" the merits?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great discussion. I can see the possibility, though I don't really think it's what we're going to see. However, to dismiss the speculation as absurd is a bit off...
    Just because I think the idea is nuts, does not mean it is not worth discussing with people who hold other views.
    sry to interrupt:

But "iphone impossible" was not a wrong suggestion. Just think 10 year back or maybe just 5. Would you have bought a mobile phone which only lasts one day? NO you would have not. An iphone is still a impossible device, but we are cheating ourselfs with charging it every day. RIM had never build such short living devices before the iphone - because it is a crazy idea.

Apple had luck and we all are doomed with a life next to the touchstone. When i am travelling (mostly with my backpack) im not carrying my pixi with me. For this i have my motorola f3 (e-ink display) which can hold up two weeks, with one charge.