Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But does the little one slot into the big one?

Interconnectivity for transference of data = very smart move on the part of HP

literally slotting into each other = can't see it.
    NO it wont be like that im almost absolutely positive !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Physical docking is so old school (Sorry Atrix webTop), instead, I think Palm is going RIM's route with wireless Smartphone-Tablet synch.
    alvaro_qc got it right, I think. Physical docking is out--wireless is in. And like others have mentioned, without the phone component, you then have a large paperweight? No, I think this was probably something that had been in the works, but never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Cool..wonder twins devices. Activate! But what happened to the cloud? I guess its ok as long as it looks cool. Because that's important. I still want my HP watch though so i can run around shouting "transmute"
    So your computing tools are also fashion accessories/statements?
  4. Evansgw
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Physical docking is so old school (Sorry Atrix webTop), instead, I think Palm is going RIM's route with wireless Smartphone-Tablet synch.
    I agree. I'd be disappointed if it had to physically connect. Bluetooth or wifi please.

Also, not sure why there would be a dock, you should be able to put the phone on the touchstone, and be connected via wirelessly.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    The teaser phone is very slim. Those buttons protrude like there is no tomorrow and the camera lens is huge, so we are seeing extreme closeups of a very thin device.

So the battery will not be very large and one of the essential features has to be charging the phone from the tablet. So someplace in the tablet, there must be a special place to charge the phone. Placing the phone on the bezel (inductive)? A dock (inductive or conductive)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Evansgw View Post
    I agree. I'd be disappointed if it had to physically connect. Bluetooth or wifi please.

Also, not sure why there would be a dock, you should be able to put the phone on the touchstone, and be connected via wirelessly.
    You really want 30 minute battery life?
    Well... The Apple with IPad is the proof that invest in Ads can convince all peoples that use a PDA with 10' screen is a good idea.

So, the H/Palm can do this, too... since that INVEST IN ADS & convince the Press to sell newspapers and magazines paying out of the App Catalog!!

Oh, yes... I forgot... sell in ALL WORLD with GOOD PRICE, too...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Wow, I'm just glad to have something to look forward to again as far a Palm products go. For a while it was looking bleak before HP bought Palm.

HP added some excitement to the game again.
    This sounds like yet another solution in search of a problem. Here are the problems with this idea as I see them:

1. The tablet would require a wOS phone to be fully functional. It would have the same limitation as the PlayBook. As it stands, the only people who will get full use of a PlayBook are BB users. The PB is a giant accessory.

2. Such a design would have to be limited to a single phone. If you do not like the particular phone that slots into the tablet, again you are a second-class citizen, even if you have a wOS phone.

3. There is no switcher appeal. No one who owns an iPhone, (and let's face it, that is the target), will be interested in getting a second phone to make full use of this tablet. Part of the success of all of the iDevices is that they are stand-alone items that people can buy, regardless of what other devices they have.

PC users buy iPads that live happily with their PC. iPhones do not require Macs. The TV works with everything.

4. The tablet would be just a giant phone. Sorry, Enyo can not magically make a phone app make sense on a screen an order of magnitude bigger. It seems like this type of architecture would rely on the "write once, apply everywhere" philosophy. With a device like this, who would bother to design tablet specific apps?

There are other problems as well. I fail to see how this aids in battery life. If the tablet is powered by the phone, you run your phone down very quickly. If the phone is powered by the tablet, the tablet battery life suffers. If the tablet has no guts, and is just a shell for the phone, then it is not really a tablet. If the tablet is its own thing, then it really does not need to be docked with a phone.

Like the Atrix, this is the sort of thing that makes geeks drool. Geeks like doing tekkie things just because they can. Average people don't. That is part of the success of the iPad. It does not require everyone to act like they are in a sci-fi movie. It is not hard to understand how to use it, and requires no other special devices to fully function. Simplicity is sometimes the killer app.
    i think while all this speculation of this "docking phone" is going on, they even stated that it was purely speculation because they stated it was an old patent, so all of this arguement about what would be hit/miss for something along this nature may be for not cuz it could just be a pair of devices that work even better synced. but then again we wont kno for another 2 days... yay
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This sounds like yet another solution in search of a problem...
    1, 2, and 3 would all be taken care of if HP offered devices with the docking phone, and devices without. Those that didn't want it would get the non-docking version. But, they'd probably have to have a seperate data plan as well, or only have WiFi capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    i think while all this speculation of this "docking phone" is going on, they even stated that it was purely speculation because they stated it was an old patent, so all of this arguement about what would be hit/miss for something along this nature may be for not cuz it could just be a pair of devices that work even better synced. but then again we wont kno for another 2 days... yay
    is a patent filed in april 2010 considered old? I'm not a patent expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    is a patent filed in april 2010 considered old? I'm not a patent expert.
    its 9 months old, so technically u r right, but could have been something they were working on prior to the buyout finalization that they wanted to implement and get into the tablet and smartphone world... but then again i could be completely wrong and it could ABSOLUTELY be a link to whats to come, but we wont kno until wednesday
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Isn't this called tethering?
    Exactly!

Sliding a phone inside of a tablet to share 3G seems to be the worst of all possible worlds for both users and manufacturers. First, you compromise the tablet by leaving a big, empty space for the phone and docking mechanism. That space could have been utilized for a larger battery.

Next, you add to the weight of the tablet when you put the phone inside of it. Next, the consumer actually has to pull out her phone and physically maneuver it into a slot for connectivity on the tablet. More moving parts means more manufacturing challenges and more things to go wrong or break.

Aren't all the phones becoming personal hotspots? Turn it on, done! Easy. Whatever the reason for such a design, internet connectivity is most certainly not one of them.
    most certainly not. roger that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    So sliding my ipod into a dock to play music, charge, and get more functionality was a BAD move? and it is too difficult to do correctly?

I'm disheartened by the lack of foresight here.

I'm not saying this will be the announcement, but i hope it is even more just to show you and the other nay-sayers how awesome it can be.
    What? Are you really comparing a possible iPad killer to an iPod dock? Are you hopping for a tablet or a hPhone dock? There is no both. They are different kinds of animals.
    no its not called tethering. Its called docking. Similar except because they share a radio, they cannot be charged as dual devices.
    So you think the carriers will welcome this device that avoids paying for service? Good luck with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    "Hold on to your Foleos, folks, because it looks like Palm still hasn't given up on the idea of a little laptop that pairs with a phone for wireless communications. However, where that former (failed) experiment called for entirely disparate hardware, here the relationship between the two would be rather more formal. In a patent filed in April and just dug up by Unwired View, Palm describes a "compact removable voice handset" and an "integrated palmtop computer." The two can communicate wirelessly, but more interestingly they can be coupled such that "there is minimal increase to the overall size and weight" of the palmtop -- in other words, the "phone" bit isn't particularly large, making it more comfortable to hold up to your face in a conversation than your Streaks and the like. Is there actually any hardware behind this application or is this just Palm daydreaming about a Foleo 2? We'll all just have to wait and find out. "
    Cripes..I've been waiting for something like this ever since I got my first Psion. I asked about a similar concept here, to no response http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pa...h-options.html
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Isn't this called tethering?
    no its not called tethering. Its called docking. Similar except because they share a radio, they cannot be charged as dual devices.
    Probably need to wait for Apple to implement it. Then it will be original, innovative, and genius.

Oh yeah, it will go by whatever nickname they dictate. Probably something like iDocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    So you think the carriers will welcome this device that avoids paying for service? Good luck with that.
    Actually, if the choices the carriers have are:

• Wifi device (that doesn't use a phone) + phone
    • Dock device + docking phone

Either way, they only get the one subscriber. In the latter case, they do have the possibility that the user will consume more bandwidth, but that hasn't exactly deterred things like mobile hotspots.

Again, i'm not saying this is something they will do, but it's certainly a possibility.