Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    this was an idea of mine awhile ago too. I even mentioned it on some Palmcasts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Assumptions=fail

Sent from my eVo
    Ohno Verwon. Please don't dash our sweet imaginations and tell us we were wrong to assume:

1. That's you in the photos
    2. That you are a woman

Waiting for confirmation before I do any more imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    cgk: do you realize that ALL of your posts are ALWAYS negative? do you ever have anything positive to say?
    To be fair, there are some positive posts about other devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What do you want me to say? I think it's a daft idea and that's nothing to do with the OS, but the design compromises you'd have to make to each individual device. If apple announced this or Windows, I'd still think the same. It just adds a level of complexity with no real benefit - two devices linked via bluetooth can provide the same functionality without the need for the additional complexity.

Moreover, if you don't like my posts, don't read em, stick me on ignore.
    So, what would you think would be a good idea for them? One that doesn't involved imitating some big company that's already doing something you like, that is? (Keep in mind, the event is a "thinkbeyond" event)
    But what if she doesn't want or have a webOS phone? Isn't it a big paper-weight at that point?
    I suspect they would offer another option with the cell radio on board for those folks.
    But it's still not clear what you'd want to compromise the physical form of the Tablet and/or phone to do that when it could be done in other ways? Nobody has articulated yet why this is better than two separate fully-featured devices that have seemless connectivity between them but uncompromised forms?

Charging has been mentioned by quite a few people but beyond that?

Don't get me wrong, on TVs and with Toys when you have modular equipment it's cool but for working devices it means functional or form compromises.
    Physical connections are faster (and more secure) than OTA connections.
    When I mentioned a Direct Dock, I really didn't mean docking in the traditional sense. I meant just have a uni-connector on each device like a mag connection, etc.

Wouldn't compromise the physical form of any device.
    I see pandas.
    I wouldn't particularly argue with that usage scenario but that's radically different from what is being discussed here - that it fits inside. Moreover, if they did release a ultra-thin phone that fitted into the tablet, that would be a radically different paradigm from what we've seen so far in this space and they are not going to kick that out for 300-400 dollars, they would have to access to manufacturing techniques unknown to anyone else - and that costs. Moreover, remember within the wider HP strategy, it appears that Leo is trying to increase margins - he's not going to do by turning out something so high-tech at such razor thin margins (actually for the devices we are talking about here, I would think it would be more of a lose).
    Yeah, no way would they do something with a "radically different paradigm" at an event touted as "ThinkBeyond".

Right?
    /sarcasm
  9.    #69  
    Here is a copy of the Jan 19th Digitimes article that says HP Webos tablets to begin shipping in March, this makes sense to me as it will correspond to that second HP March 14 announcement and still ship before end of Q1.

HP to ship 45-48 million notebook in 2011

Yenting Chen, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 19 January 2011]

Hewlett-Packard (HP) expects to ship 45-48 million notebooks, including WebOS tablet models as a main focus, in 2011, according to Taiwan-based ODMs and component makers.

Having Taken delivery of more than 10 million notebooks in the fourth quarter of 2010, HP attained total shipments of over 39 million units in 2010, the sources indicated.

While HP has unveiled the Windows 7 tablet PC Slate 500, WebOS models will be the mainstream of HP's tablets, the sources pointed out. The development of WebOS tablet PCs was finished in 2010, but HP will have Taiwan-based Inventec begin ODM production and shipments in March 2011 to allow for software testing and timing of launch schedules in line with market development, the sources indicated.

The Palm-developed WebOS features technologically mature software interfaces, and this may be an appeal for market segmentation, the sources pointed out.
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110118PD216.html
    ok, thread cleaned. I know there are many self-declared experts that know best. Lets express that infallible knowledge without attacking each other or violating guidelines for family friendly posts.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    To be fair, there are some positive posts about other devices.
    The only one I can think of is my blade and is simply because of price (I'm cheap) - 70 pounds for a fully featured smartphone with no contract? That's unbeatable for a miser like me. If hp put out a phone at that price I'll buy one in a heartbeat.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    The only one I can think of is my blade and is simply because of price (I'm cheap) - 70 pounds for a fully featured smartphone with no contract? That's unbeatable for a miser like me. If hp put out a phone at that price I'll buy one in a heartbeat.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    I'm not very good at converting pounds to real money (yeah, that was a dig ), but the Pixi was selling at $50 no contract recently.

Of course, it was a Verizon phone
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    $50? wow, that's about 40, I'd buy some for my nieces! 70 is about $112 - I'm getting a bit off topic but I'll just say that represents the danger of android in the market, that they can hoover up all the cheap-skates like me or people who don't want to buy more than they would for a feature phone.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    2. Price/cost. This is probably the single biggest point of success. Price for everyone will be lower. Cost to manufacture will be lower because no need for 3g radio in tablet device. Price to customer will therefore be lower. This might also eliminate the need for a hotspot additional pricing. You get 3g access on your tablet without the additional monthly fee. If anyone has considered buying a 3g ipad, you know how bad this sucks to have to pay even more per month.
    The price of a 3g radio is about $2, it's insignificant when considering the difference in margins that OEMs reap from providing it. That is to say, they aren't charging an extra $100 for a 3g ipad because it's costing that much for apple to provide it...
    $50? wow, that's about 40, I'd buy some for my nieces! 70 is about $112 - I'm getting a bit off topic but I'll just say that represents the danger of android in the market, that they can hoover up all the cheap-skates like me or people who don't want to buy more than they would for a feature phone.
    To be fair, the Verizon Pixi Plus at $50 (off contract) was a clearance. But that's OK, we cheapskates love clearances.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    The only way I see this happening is if:
    -The dock is a separate entity on it's own
    -Form factor is not compromised
    -The dock comes free with the tablet

To be honest though. I really don't care for this type of thing. I want my tablet/phone to be separate devices on their own.
    they will be separate devices all on their own but able to inter connect for transference of data from one device to the other
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Cool..wonder twins devices. Activate! But what happened to the cloud? I guess its ok as long as it looks cool. Because that's important. I still want my HP watch though so i can run around shouting "transmute"
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    they will be separate devices all on their own but able to inter connect for transference of data from one device to the other

But does the little one slot into the big one?

Interconnectivity for transference of data = very smart move on the part of HP

literally slotting into each other = can't see it.
    The clock's prototype name is Ben10