Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 162
  1. #41  
    you can ignore a particular poster? Hmmm... Can I ignore myself?
  2. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    you can ignore a particular poster? Hmmm... Can I ignore myself?
    Click on their profile, then add them to user list "ignore".
  3.    #43  
    if you go to the HP countdown page where the video is embedded, outline of first image looks more tablet (before the video starts)
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    lol to alot of people its always "the cup is half empty" that is their mentality unless they see it with their eyes. whatever it is they are discussing.
    even if they see it, they will still complain...
  5. #45  
    This would actually be pretty awesome. And it totally fits being that I remember someone being quoted about the smallest handset ever. It would give people reason to carry around a tablet. The phone is so damn small ppl won't wanna play on it as much, but will be able to if they need to. Plug it in the tablet and the Palmpad gains 3g/4g, 16g of memory. an extra camera perhaps.

    Cause It really solves the problem with phones like the EVO and droid 2. They don't have an option. Ppl with a droid 2 always have a ridiculously huge phone with them; somewhere between a tablet and a phone. Even when they have no need for it.

    Palmpad owners will have a choice. Leave the tablet at home if you are just going to a quick coffee or something. going to the DMV? Take both! but have the advantage of only carrying one device. who is really gonna carry around a phone and a tablet? (ipad owners)
  6. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    two devices linked via bluetooth can provide the same functionality without the need for the additional complexity
    But can it, really? For instance, the tablet part can recharge the cell phone battery when docked. I use USB cable between my phone and tablet that does the same thing, but docking the phone inside the tablet would be much better.

    The tablet part could perhaps use cell phone cpu and radio so the tablet part could be very cheap, just screen and battery. You could have one tablet at home and one at work. Similarly, Motorola Atrix laptop dock is cheap, because it is the phone that does the computing. This would be reduced complexity. I am not sure if HP has gone this way, maybe the HP Topaz tablet is fully functional without the phone.
  7. #47  
    It would also make sharing a tablet easier. When my wife uses it, it is her stuff on the tablet. When I use it, it's my stuff.
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    It would also make sharing a tablet easier. When my wife uses it, it is her stuff on the tablet. When I use it, it's my stuff.
    But what if she doesn't want or have a webOS phone? Isn't it a big paper-weight at that point?
  9. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    But can it, really? For instance, the tablet part can recharge the cell phone battery when docked. I use USB cable between my phone and tablet that does the same thing, but docking the phone inside the tablet would be much better.

    The tablet part could perhaps use cell phone cpu and radio so the tablet part could be very cheap, just screen and battery. You could have one tablet at home and one at work. Similarly, Motorola Atrix laptop dock is cheap, because it is the phone that does the computing. This would be reduced complexity. I am not sure if HP has gone this way, maybe the HP Topaz tablet is fully functional without the phone.
    You are doing a better job at selling this but I still don't buy it - I can't see this being the big reveal this week.
  10. rothoof's Avatar
    Posts
    510 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    But can it, really? For instance, the tablet part can recharge the cell phone battery when docked. I use USB cable between my phone and tablet that does the same thing, but docking the phone inside the tablet would be much better.

    The tablet part could perhaps use cell phone cpu and radio so the tablet part could be very cheap, just screen and battery. You could have one tablet at home and one at work. Similarly, Motorola Atrix laptop dock is cheap, because it is the phone that does the computing. This would be reduced complexity. I am not sure if HP has gone this way, maybe the HP Topaz tablet is fully functional without the phone.
    500 dollars for a lap top dock is not cheap imo, I wouldn't want a screen laying around that is useless without a phone docked into it.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  11. #51  
    how about if it did everything without the phone, but could use features in the phone (like a 3g radio) or add features (like charging or a larger display).
  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    how about if it did everything without the phone, but could use features in the phone (like a 3g radio) or add features (like charging or a larger display).

    But it's still not clear what you'd want to compromise the physical form of the Tablet and/or phone to do that when it could be done in other ways? Nobody has articulated yet why this is better than two separate fully-featured devices that have seemless connectivity between them but uncompromised forms?

    Charging has been mentioned by quite a few people but beyond that?

    Don't get me wrong, on TVs and with Toys when you have modular equipment it's cool but for working devices it means functional or form compromises.
  13. #53  
    if I can make calls with voice commands with a device that is the size of a bluetooth headset or a stick of gume.... Win.

    and use a 7" screen, storage, bt keyboard wheen I want more than just a phone call.... Win.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You are doing a better job at selling this but I still don't buy it - I can't see this being the big reveal this week.
    If you don't like the idea thats cool. I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

    This would make the tablet a huge sell. If they make the phone as thin as the Pixi and as small as the Pixi, and sell it WITH the tablet -- then they could sell both devices for 300-400 dollars. I would have a 3G radio in the phone for battery life and a WiMAX radio in the tablet (again, for battery life). When you buy the devices together, you'll pretty much be buying the tablet and the phone would be pretty much free. And just like ttcoupe said, the tablet would use the processor in the ultra-slim device instead of having it's own. And whenever you plug it in, whatever is on the ultra-slim device would then automatically go on the big device.

    I still think selling a tablet and phone by itself would be smart, but maybe later on in the summer and these devices be sold sooner.
  15. #55  
    hey, guess what, 3 more days...
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    If you don't like the idea thats cool. I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

    This would make the tablet a huge sell. If they make the phone as thin as the Pixi and as small as the Pixi, and sell it WITH the tablet -- then they could sell both devices for 300-400 dollars. I would have a 3G radio in the phone for battery life and a WiMAX radio in the tablet (again, for battery life). When you buy the devices together, you'll pretty much be buying the tablet and the phone would be pretty much free. And just like ttcoupe said, the tablet would use the processor in the ultra-slim device instead of having it's own. And whenever you plug it in, whatever is on the ultra-slim device would then automatically go on the big device.

    I still think selling a tablet and phone by itself would be smart, but maybe later on in the summer and these devices be sold sooner.
    I wouldn't particularly argue with that usage scenario but that's radically different from what is being discussed here - that it fits inside. Moreover, if they did release a ultra-thin phone that fitted into the tablet, that would be a radically different paradigm from what we've seen so far in this space and they are not going to kick that out for 300-400 dollars, they would have to access to manufacturing techniques unknown to anyone else - and that costs. Moreover, remember within the wider HP strategy, it appears that Leo is trying to increase margins - he's not going to do by turning out something so high-tech at such razor thin margins (actually for the devices we are talking about here, I would think it would be more of a lose).
  17. #57  
    Tethering your tablet wirelessly off a small phone in your pocket is cool. Cool for the 15 minutes before it kills your phone battery.

    The only reason you would want to dock your phone inside or on your tablet is to save it's battery while tethering.

    I like the idea, personally. I think it's asinine to have two separate data plans for two devices that are usually together with you. I would only tether, and I hate wirelessly tethering unless my phone is charging at the same time.

    I can't imagine trying to use a tablet with a usb cable attached to my phone to keep it charging. It's fine for my netbook, but not a tablet.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I wouldn't particularly argue with that usage scenario but that's radically different from what is being discussed here - that it fits inside. Moreover, if they did release a ultra-thin phone that fitted into the tablet, that would be a radically different paradigm from what we've seen so far in this space and they are not going to kick that out for 300-400 dollars, they would have to access to manufacturing techniques unknown to anyone else - and that costs. Moreover, remember within the wider HP strategy, it appears that Leo is trying to increase margins - he's not going to do by turning out something so high-tech at such razor thin margins (actually for the devices we are talking about here, I would think it would be more of a lose).
    You might be right that it won't be 300 dollars for both. It would really depend on how much that ultra thin phone costs. If they sell it separate, that would be fine as long as the carrier is ok with cutting some of the cost. Because the tablet part -- although some what cheaper without processor -- would still cost a a lot. The sweet spot would be 300-400 for the tablet and if sold separate then 100-200 for the phone (cost for the user on both of those prices). If it's more then there might be a problem.

    But what would be AWESOME it would not be a mere copy of what Apple has done thus far. It would actually make companies (probably not Apple) copy HP and make ultra-slim devices that plug into a tablet brother. And with Leo saying he wants people to think HP is cool (like people think Apple is cool), I think this is the best way to get that done. Ultra-portable notebooks do well for both HP and Apple. Ultra-slim phones would also do well.

    The question is would the screen be at least 3.5 inches on the phone? It wouldn't have to be, but I would want it to be.
  19. #59  
    There is no way in hell they are going to sell the tablet without functionality at all unless the phone is inside it.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    There is no way in hell they are going to sell the tablet without functionality at all unless the phone is inside it.
    Thats why i think a bundle is best. But the phone could be similar to the pixi -- small and thin. We'll see but it is a good idea!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions