Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    My conclusion (for the moment): a spring-actuated clamshell design with two screens inside.

First camera take of the teaser: matte front side, no glass, no capacitive screen there

Second camera take: one-hand operable opening mechanism on the side, usable with thumb of left or right hand

Third camera take: rear side with camera, no screen there
    Quote Originally Posted by gaudenti View Post
    OK, so what does the teaser mean? If this is a Pre 2 or 2+ or 3?, is the Pre 2 now dead? Or is the teaser a high-end phone and Pre 2 will be the mid phone? Is this new phone going to be available soon after intro, or in the coming decades?

I know, I know, wait 'til the 9th . . .
    If Pre 2 is mid range phone I dont want to see European pricing for their high-end device.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    We should place bets on the stock price.... after their announcement
    Easy enough to do - it's called stock futures.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I'm guessing that these photos, if indeed they are photos of the same (one) device, are of a phone. You really can't tell with the photos provided, but as I said: I'm guessing.

Speaking of said photos... when looking at the photo of the lens, we are actually seeing the lower-left corner of the back of the device... thus, the button 'above' the lens is actually low on the right-hand spine when looking at the front of the device and in my opinion is a dedicated camera button(!). If there is a flash, then it may still be at the upper-left corner of the device (when looking at the back) to help minimize red-eye (I'm wishfully thinking about a more powerful flash).

As far as the 5 dots are concerned, it doesn't make sense to me that it's a new port. The Pre had it covered with USB and Bluetooth. All this device would need is more BT profiles. If indeed they are part of a new Touchstone system, how will they get Exhibition to work in landscape? I'm assuming that this new port is on the bottom of the phone... and if it's on the side, then how will they get Exhibition to work in portrait? The current Touchstone is elegant in it's simplicity; these 5 contact points is a step backwards in my opinion... assuming that they are contact points.

Micro-USB is the de facto charging standard and I doubt Palm is going to buck that trend at this point, especially when it already does data transfer. USB 3.0 makes more sense to me for the new device rather than a new proprietary port. I also started to think maybe it does video? But then, what's wrong with HDMI? I'm sure HP and Palm engineers (and Industrial Designers) can figure out how to put both USB and HDMI on the device. A proprietary port wouldn't make much sense to me, but I don't design these things to begin with.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to next week.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    Ok, so the little teasers are out. I think we should start talking about what we think that we see in these pictures and videos that HP is releasing.
    Maybe it's just because it's too early in the morning, but when I read that on like the 9th page of this thread I laughed.
    It's not a toaster or a printer. I'm still leaning toward phone, but I know that may be colored by how much I want it to be a new phone.

On top of that, we know that HP is going to come up with a tablet so the teaser being a phone would mean that HP didn't buy Palm just to get the OS for a tablet. In other words, a commitment to the mobile phone community, not just WebOS. Yes I want the rumble the the teaser to be a phone.

Come on HP tickle our fancy. Give us more clues. Whatever it is, you have a forum full of people ready to pounce and buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    You forgot a low end model

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pixi would be considered a "low end model" and it has a flash. I'm thinking any flash would be on the other side...?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    It's not a toaster or a printer. I'm still leaning toward phone, but I know that may be colored by how much I want it to be a new phone.

On top of that, we know that HP is going to come up with a tablet so the teaser being a phone would mean that HP didn't buy Palm just to get the OS for a tablet. In other words, a commitment to the mobile phone community, not just WebOS. Yes I want the rumble the the teaser to be a phone.

Come on HP tickle our fancy. Give us more clues. Whatever it is, you have a forum full of people ready to pounce and buy it.
    I wouldn't completely rule out a tablet. Just because the lens is near the corner doesn't necessarily mean it's a phone.

I've decided, though (particularly after having an opportunity to try to use an Android device and realizing it just doesn't make sense), that I will go for the next webOS phone, assuming it's on Sprint and (hopefully) available in March.
    Hopefully they will add a bit more teasing each day up until the event.
    I hope that's not a phone... it sure looks THICK......

So much for a slim thin form factor.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    I think its cool that they are teasing the community with stuff like this. Shows they have interest in social marketing and engaging our community; and thats cool!

I think its a phone....that being said PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have a bigger screen than the Pre. I need more pixels...gimme more pixels!
    If I'm looking at the front right, it's probably covered in Gorilla glass in a style similar to the Pre 2.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingInIowa.com View Post
    I hope that's not a phone... it sure looks THICK......

So much for a slim thin form factor.
    Don't forget that HP has stated that they plan to release "devices" every few months or so. I would bet that somewhere in their product timeline, they are sure to have something slim and sexy, similar to that tablet, for the ones looking for "iPhone" like form factors.
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    looks like another pre thingy

apparently somebody at palm thinks the pre is god's greatest gift to mankind
    Palm and HP will always make portrait keyboard phones, that's always been their bread and butter, and few others do. The slider style makes it so you don't have to have a blackberry sized screen.

I am not in the crowd that thinks phones need to be as thin as possible. I like to feel something in my hand and I don't want to feel like I'm holding a giant credit card.

I would like a bigger screen though.
    Regarding the slider switch or charging port....maybe it's just a cover? Slide it open to reveal a USB charging port?

Oh, I had a rather bizarre dream last night. I was at the HP event on Feb 9th and the only new thing they had were "skins" to stick on our Pre's to make them look new.

I have no idea why I dreamt something so bizarre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post

Oh, I had a rather bizarre dream last night. I was at the HP event on Feb 9th and the only new thing they had were "skins" to stick on our Pre's to make them look new.

I have no idea why I dreamt something so bizarre.
    OMG I had the same thought that HP was going to provide new touchstone backs with the HP logo instead of the palm logo. Calling it an "upgrade kit."
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by remix2000 View Post
    OMG I had the same thought that HP was going to provide new touchstone backs with the HP logo instead of the palm logo. Calling it an "upgrade kit."
    LOL

I am hoping they keep a slider keyboard, but will probably wait and see how well the slider works before purchasing.

Edited, thanks Trekker.
    Last edited by sinime; 02/03/2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I am hopping
    That will get tiring....trust me!
    there doesn't necessarily have to be a direct Pre-successor right now. Actually the Pre2 is a very good device (I own one).

It would be sufficient to bring a slate-phone, a Pixi-successor and 2 tablets.

The Pre2-successor can come in may/june, too. That would be sufficient or even be better for competing the iPhone5.