1.    #1  
    With February 9th steadily approaching, many of us, myself included, are wondering what that day will bring.

While we know of the obvious (ie announcements of Tablets, smartphones and roadmap of "other devices"), we can't hekp but wonder how they will bring it all together.

There are many ways HP can keep the devices interconnected.
    One such way is 3G/4G/WiFi sync through your HP profile. The problem with this method is speed/latency/availability and above all else relliance on carriers data restrictions. See MS Kin. (remember data has to be uploaded from device A and downloaded to devices B, C & D.)

So how do we have constant talking between devices?
    Bluetooth? Ala Bberry playbook?
    Well that may work well for just PIM.. But what about files.. Docs.. MEDIA???

Step up to the plate WiFi Direct.
    Wifi direct will the need for an access point, allowing precertified devices to sync with each other without the worries of security or bandwidth. Better abd faster data transger speeds than bluetoth and longer range.

I would post more about this but I'm mobile..

I believe this isgoing to be a big part of Feb 9th... It's all existing tech. Minimal investment..

Thoughts?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Does wifi direct require more advanced hardware than is currently available (pre, pixi etc) I hope they don't plan on alienating people...

But then again, anyone who sticks who with the old stuff for this long should be used to geting left out...

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Does wifi direct require more advanced hardware than is currently available (pre, pixi etc) I hope they don't plan on alienating people...

But then again, anyone who sticks who with the old stuff for this long should be used to geting left out...

The devices will need wifi direct certification.. But if it's compatible all would be needed is a sw update

lasers man lasers !!! that the knew way of transferring data little lasers inside of computers instead of wires !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    A little more info on WiFi Direct

Quote Originally Posted by PcMag.com
    Wi-Fi Direct is an emerging technology meant to meet the growing demand for easy, portable wireless network connectivity. It's peer-to-peer wireless networking, which means that devices such as notebooks, tablets, cameras, and printers can "find" one another and establish wireless connectivity without need of the presence of a wireless router, an access point, or a hotspot.

How is it used? Imagine syncing your mobile device or laptop to a printer, digital photo frame, or TV without connecting to a Wi-Fi network. No worry about SSIDs or passwords to access them.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiFiDirect.org
    Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Wi-Fi Direct is a certification mark for devices supporting a game-changing new technology enabling Wi-Fi devices to connect directly, making it simple and convenient to do things like print, share, synch and display. Products bearing the Wi-Fi Direct certification mark can connect to one another without joining a traditional home, office or hotspot network.

Mobile phones, cameras, printers, PCs, and gaming devices can now connect to each other directly to transfer content and share applications quickly and easily. Devices can make a one-to-one connection, or a group of several devices can connect simultaneously. Connecting Wi-Fi Direct-certified devices is easy and simple, in many cases only requiring the push of a button. Moreover, all Wi-Fi Direct connections are protected by WPA2, the latest Wi-Fi security technology. With Wi-Fi Direct, you do not need an access point or internet connection - Your personal WiFi network goes with you where ever you go.
    Read more

http://www.wi-fi.org/Wi-Fi_Direct.php

And

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371413,00.asp