Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    <<thread cleaned>>

Just an observation on my part: statistics are always subject to interpretation. Let's wait until the announcements next week to see what the future is for developers.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 02/02/2011 at 04:10 PM.
    i know what you are talking about. I also hate that javascript/html stuff. Cmon. I program with c,c++,java and cuda, but this crapy javascript stuff is getting me....waaaah! Why not letting us write apps using java or a form of c++ like all other (yeah i know about the pdk,but here again you need javascript for the sdk right?). So i believe the chosen language is a big problem
    Man, the fact that we're still arguing about this 2 years after webOS was unveiled...
    Android was around for about 5 years before the interst took off. If the devices sell, interest in development will follow.
    I thought with the dev tools that HP/Palm had released, any app could be ported over to webOS in a matter of days. I'm not a developer nor am I proficient in any sort of code, so I don't really know how accurate a statement that is. But it always confused me how, if this was true, developers didn't take advantage of this to increase their user base, even if only by selling to the fraction of the 2% of smartphone users that use webOS.
    kinda like the movie "Field of Dreams", I you build it right, they will come and when they come the developers will follow.
    I still get the willies when I watch the enyo presentation. Enyo is so huge that most people are unable to see the full potential. When enyo rolls out and they finish recoding all of the core apps in it, even sprint pres will become an acceptable speed. I honestly don't care about some of the just programmers not wanting to try and code for it, because guys that make pro websites for a living and beautiful interfaces will be coding webos programs in notepad++ and dropping some awesome apps that will be webos native and ported to other platforms. Can't wait.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    kinda like the movie "Field of Dreams", I you build it right, they will come and when they come the developers will follow.
    Field of dreams software development never works.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Only problem is that we are also told that if HP gets apps for the phone people will buy it. I feel like we are caught in a vicious cycle. If you don't have a user base how do you convince devs their time is well spent making apps for a new platform. If you don't have apps how do you convince people to buy into a platform with potential for growth.

Its a killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    ... If you don't have apps how do you convince people to buy into a platform with potential for growth.

Its a killer.
    You "prime the pump". You have in house developers work on apps, and/or you pay outside developers to do so.

HP has already done the former, and certainly has the resources for the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You "prime the pump". You have in house developers work on apps, and/or you pay outside developers to do so.

HP has already done the former, and certainly has the resources for the latter.
    Eactly. Engadget posted a article yesterday that states that Google is looking to hire a couple of dozen software engineers to develop apps in-house. I'm glad that Phil McKinney laid the gauntlet down last summer for in-house development at HP.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123