Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i think HP should use Superbowl ad time. I think this will be a perfect time to display that their coming into the game with something. get people wondering or something...maybe even have an ad that promotes feb 9th.....something...everyone will be watching..what do you guys think?
    is the pope catholic?
    At least advertise something else that HP currently offers then use the last 5-10 seconds to tease the Feb 9 event. More interest would be created that way.
    Meh, honestly I think for something like this the superbowl would be tricky. Unless they absolutely hit the ball out of the park (think apple 1984) it could and will very easily get lost in the shuffle.
    "At 1PM EST next Wednesday, HP is going to announce...something. Check some tech websites to find out what."

Yeah, that's money well spent right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Why would the general Superbowl-watching public be interested in the Feb 9 event? They can't go or even watch online.
    The event is to launch new technology. If the general public does not know about it, then they will probably not rush out to buy the products announced. If HP says on Feb 9th that x-products are available for purchase today, then they would like to sell out as soon as possible. That creates buzz which ends up creating more demand.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Nope, why pay $$$$$ to announce an event that announces product. Most watching the Superbowl won't care.

If they are not announcing products until the 9th then there would be nothing noteworthy in the add.
    Dan
    YES!! I was talking about that yesterday...HP should most definitely have one, if not a couple, ads during the SB! At least to get it in people's heads that they are up to something BIG!!
    Quote Originally Posted by javaman1234 View Post
    The event is to launch new technology. If the general public does not know about it, then they will probably not rush out to buy the products announced. If HP says on Feb 9th that x-products are available for purchase today, then they would like to sell out as soon as possible. That creates buzz which ends up creating more demand.
    If the event was meant for the general public, it would be open and broadcast to the general public. They sent out invites to tech sites for a reason.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I can see the advert now:

"on the 9th, tune-in (Webcast unavailable to the public) to our announcements about stuff (Products that we are unwilling to discuss at this stage) that will be out sometime in the future (Coming soon, TBA)".

Motorola is having an advert with an actual product (Xoom), anything less would look completely lame.
    If anything I guess they could promote webOS 2 with devices "coming soon." It would still be pretty damn difficult to pull off though.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Dear readers:

Some very key differences here between HP and what Moto did with Xoom. One: Motorola's tablet was exposed to the public at CES, thus a super bowl ad showing this to the general public is good. In addition, they can announced a date for release.

Two: HP has NO product out right now. A super bowl ad would be a horrible idea. Bad waste of marketing dollars. An ad for an announcement makes no sense. They need to show off a product, some key specs, and what it can do. They want the Feb 9th event for that.

P.S. Super Bowl ads are NOT bought just for one occurrence. They are bought by gross ratings points (GRPs). Example: Motorola is sold ad time on the Super Bowl for a high amount of GRPs (think 20% higher than highest rating ever). So if they are sold 75 GRPs and the super bowl ad only uses 50, the network still have to make up those remaing 25 GRPs. This is why you see the same ad on the same network a lot after the super bowl. So those high price tags for super bowl ads are VERY misleading.

Sincerely,

former ad agency employee.
    How about "THE NEW COOL - HP! - Coming February 9th" - Like the Budweiser February 6th commercials?
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Nothing about the 9th event. No one would care. But if they were to do something, maybe just do a teaser. Make it epic and let people know...HP webOS is coming.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Nothing about the 9th event. No one would care. But if they were to do something, maybe just do a teaser. Make it epic and let people know...HP webOS is coming.
    Nah, still a waste. If anything, they could start spamming cable networks (cause cable ads are cheap). But a super bowl buy is a giant waste of marketing dollars.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    How about "THE NEW COOL - HP! - Coming February 9th" - Like the Budweiser February 6th commercials?
    Just not worth it. They need to see how the public reacts to their announcement to see how they will sell their mobile brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Nah, still a waste. If anything, they could start spamming cable networks (cause cable ads are cheap). But a super bowl buy is a giant waste of marketing dollars.
    Its HP. They have money to spare. For all we know, they could already have an ad for the Superbowl that will be for printers or something else other than phones or tablets. If thats the case, why not just mention how future devices will interact as a hint. This might be more logical.
  18.    #18  
    whats a couple million dollars for them? tax write off?
    HP should change the date to Feb 6th and squeeze everything in to a 30 second commercial.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
  20.    #20  
    they also can show some things off and have people say "what was that?" or "i want that" than stay tuned...something i dont think it can hurt them..
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast