Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Its HP. They have money to spare. For all we know, they could already have an ad for the Superbowl that will be for printers or something else other than phones or tablets. If thats the case, why not just mention how future devices will interact as a hint. This might be more logical.
    It's not about the money. Every bit of messaging regarding HP WebOS should be crystal clear. You're advocating that they hint about something, but what's the hint?

You can't refer people to a date because there is no date yet. You can't refer people to a website because the announcement has to be made, so you can't put up any marketing collateral. You can't refer to the announcement because it's at 1PM EST and not open to the public.

It would be a disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's not about the money. Every bit of messaging regarding HP WebOS should be crystal clear. You're advocating that they hint about something, but what's the hint?

You can't refer people to a date because there is no date yet. You can't refer people to a website because the announcement has to be made, so you can't put up any marketing collateral. You can't refer to the announcement because it's at 1PM EST and not open to the public.

It would be a disaster.
    Well thats kinda what I was saying. They aren't going to fully show everyone what they have. What would be the point of the feb. 9th announcement? If any "hint" is going to be made, it will be something we already know like webOS devices will seamlessly interact with one and other. As I said, they could possibly already have an ad ready for printers or computers. Something they can easily throw that little "hint" into.
  3.    #23  
    they also can just promote webOS in general.. they dont have to promote a product.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    they also can just promote webOS in general.. they dont have to promote a product.

On what? An invisible blacked-out piece of hardware or maybe on that phone everyone rejected the first two times it was released?
  5.    #25  
    did we see anything with the droid commercials ? all i seen is words.. droid does this droid does that .....
    If the event was meant for the general public, it would be open and broadcast to the general public. They sent out invites to tech sites for a reason.
    Not to promote the actual event. But to promote what is being announced at the event. Do you think only the people attending the event will find out what is announced? I think I heard something about Verizon releasing an iPhone and did not even have to fly up and attend.
    Quote Originally Posted by javaman1234 View Post
    Not to promote the actual event. But to promote what is being announced at the event.
    That's what the event is for.
    Im pretty sure anyone who actually cares about the event already knows about it.
    did we see anything with the droid commercials ? all i seen is words.. droid does this droid does that .....
    Yes...a product name. What product name is mentioned here? WebOS? That is utterly meaningless without hardware to associate with it.
    Just because we havent got a cool idea in our heads that would work, doesn't mean a team of highly paid HP marketers don't.
    Anything is possible. We all saw the Pre months before it came out and still wanted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Just because we havent got a cool idea in our heads that would work, doesn't mean a team of highly paid HP marketers don't.
    Anything is possible. We all saw the Pre months before it came out and still wanted it.
    There is nothing to advertise. It's rather difficult for any "highly paid marketer" to build a campaign around that which cannot be named and/or an event that cannot be watched.
    If they have the right ad agency, they can do a teaser ad that doesn't show any products, but hints at the experience. They will need to follow it up soon with ads that build on the tease and show actual devices. That's possible, but EXPENSIVE.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    there goes this thread lol
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Droid launched around the world series I believe. The ad buy there isn't a great risk. In addition, Verizon contracted another agency to do that campaign. Because of it's success, they fired their old agency and made the Droid campaign people their primary creative agency.

So with the Droid campaign, it was not a crazy risk.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    If they have the right ad agency, they can do a teaser ad that doesn't show any products, but hints at the experience. They will need to follow it up soon with ads that build on the tease and show actual devices. That's possible, but EXPENSIVE.
    A Super Bowl ad is not enough time for a clear message. They need time to explain the whole ecosystem. If it was just a product, sure. But HP is probably going to unveil the WebOS ecosystem and how it works. You need a conference to talk about.

So yes, we get it people. You all want a hit on what's coming up. I do as well. However, just relax until Feb 9 and let's all be surprised.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    That's what the event is for.
    QFT
  18.    #38  
    just thinking didn't hp hire some people for a commercia for webosl? That was posted on this site? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a superbowl ad already made...just saying
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    On what? An invisible blacked-out piece of hardware or maybe on that phone everyone rejected the first two times it was released?
    "Everyone"? I love hyperbole. It's so easy to disprove.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You've got to be able to show something on the screen. There are going to be sports bars full of people and living rooms with 8 people watching the screen - all talking. You almost have to be able to get the full effect with no audio.

So what is the visual?
    A visual like this could be very effective:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast