webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > What's so special about "Beats Audio"?
What's so special about "Beats Audio"?

Old 02/01/2011, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

I'm really confused on this one... As a long-time "purist" audiophile, whenever I hear that someone has made a dramatic improvement in audio quality the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

First, let me say that the audio chain on my Pre Plus is (subjectively) better than my tests with a few iPod and iPhone units I've tested. By this I mean that the sound is less colored, instruments are more natural sounding, voices are more understandable, and there is a much better "listening fatigue" factor.

Now "Beats" comes along... If all they do is muck with things like frequency response then that will not be "cool" at all. I do not need the bass boosted, reverberation added, or other colorization of the audio unless it's to compensate for deficiencies in a specific headphone or speaker. It's one of the reasons that, when traveling, I enjoy a pair of Etymotic earbuds that provide a pretty flat frequency response.

So, what's the scoop on "Beats"? Is this just another "let's make cheap headphones sound better" or something that has some real psycho-acoustic science behind it?
Old 02/01/2011, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

It's a Dr. Dre product. Since he's a doctor, it must be scientifically pure, right?
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by barkerja, darkzone, htdakar
Old 02/01/2011, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Beats Audio has been used with laptops that HP has made recently. They are supposed to be an enhancement with smaller devices (laptops and tablets) than current providers offer.

The link to HP's site can be found HERE; I have heard these laptops and I must say they sound more clear and louder than your typical laptops; even some bass

My Themes:CLICK HERE
mikeisnowonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Beats by Dr.Dre Beats Pro Reference Headphones for Audio Professionals | Science Today News

Take a note at the price....a whopping $449.95. That's pretty special

Beats by Dr.Dre launches the new Beats Pro, its flagship reference headphone designed by audio professionals for audio professionals. The over-ear Beats Pro features a variety of ambient noise-isolation capabilities, backward spinning flip-up ear cups that let DJs monitor the room without taking the headphones off, washable ear cushions and dual input/output cable ports.(if you're a professional DJ that mixes live sets, that right there is a pretty cool feature to have, if you don't know what I'm talking about, these aren't for you)

The Beats Pro is built from strong yet lightweight aluminum for rugged use on-the-go and is designed for rock-solid durability with all-metal hinges. It comes with an extra long coiled cable, a heavy duty, gold plated 1/4-inch adapter, touring case and a Monster Clean Cloth with Anti-microbial protection.

The Beats by Dr.Dre Beats Pro is priced at $449.95. It comes in black and white
Old 02/01/2011, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

I always assumed it was a gimmick but I really have no idea. I mean would any legitimate audio professional buy their stuff from HP?

Maybe Im just skeptical of anything that is marketed to average joe consumer as "professional grade."
turdsamich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

I mentioned trying out a Beats audio setup by HP a few days ago and I to be honest...the laptop wasn't that impressive and the Best Buy rep could not help much with the demo. Either way, the Beats audio 'headsets' is what sets it apart from anything else in the consumer market. I'm pretty certain there is something else going on technology wise when it comes to the Beats audio playback, but I only noticed the difference when it was playing through the name brand headsets. Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know about the HP hardware when it comes to "beats" audio by dre. But what I do know is that the popular "beats" headphones is a scam; why? because if you look on the box there is the logo for Monster (yeah that Monster, that makes the ripoff audio/hdmi wires).

even if they weren't a gimmick and had some good audiophile grade hardware it still won't matter if you are playing it out of an Ipod which outputs crappy audio anyways; and the fact that most people are going to be playing compressed MP3's on their beats equipment which won't sound good either.
Maestro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Deep down I know it's an overpriced gimmick...but Dre made The Chronic. Who am I to doubt him?
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by htdakar, irateb, nimer55
Old 02/01/2011, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Word. Can't argue wit dat besides college tuition is constantly going up and I'm sure regular maintenance on his vehicles http://www.google.com/m/search?client=ms-palm-webOS&q=dr+dre's+vehicles&channel=iss&site=images&ei=VUhITcjEC5-eMsiWt4gC&ved=0CBYQ7AkwAw can't be cheap either. Somebody's gotta pay for them
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Brother-in-law compared Beats to Bose. He says both are substantially clearer than others, but Bose is more clear. Beats highlighted bass that might be preferable (or not) to some users.

HP offering this is a sign they need to innovate closer to the consumer space to garner the "cool" moniker.
realistdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

The sad thing is if Dre bundled Detox exclusively with a pair of Beats, I guess I would end up with a $500 pair of headphones. :/
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 12:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
I'm really confused on this one... As a long-time "purist" audiophile, whenever I hear that someone has made a dramatic improvement in audio quality the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

First, let me say that the audio chain on my Pre Plus is (subjectively) better than my tests with a few iPod and iPhone units I've tested. By this I mean that the sound is less colored, instruments are more natural sounding, voices are more understandable, and there is a much better "listening fatigue" factor.

Now "Beats" comes along... If all they do is muck with things like frequency response then that will not be "cool" at all. I do not need the bass boosted, reverberation added, or other colorization of the audio unless it's to compensate for deficiencies in a specific headphone or speaker. It's one of the reasons that, when traveling, I enjoy a pair of Etymotic earbuds that provide a pretty flat frequency response.

So, what's the scoop on "Beats"? Is this just another "let's make cheap headphones sound better" or something that has some real psycho-acoustic science behind it?
I have no idea. But the fact that you asked the question, I respect that.
Technosticrati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

I believe (or hope) that Beast audio uses higher quality materials for their audio processing. Such as better speakers and what not. For example, when you buy a Toyota, the stock speakers are bleh. So you buy after markets. Beats Audio could be just after market quality. Still not as great as Bose, but still better.
bnceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 12:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've tried the Beats headphones and they are NOTHING compared to my 10 year old MinistryOfSound headphones (DJ1003). They're not even as good as my UltimateEars TripleFi 10 earphones - and that's comparing headphones to earphones!

I personally think its a scam. I always welcome any attempts at improving sound, however these are not worth the price.

PS. Keep your eyes open to the developer forums on this site, since me and fellow programmer nyuepik will be releasing a new music player for webOS 2.x which includes a larger array of audio codecs supported, an equalizer, volume boost, and true gapless playback.
Old 02/01/2011, 01:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'll have to admit that I "used" to be in the Monster is BS hyped camp but I was able to snag a pair of Monster Turbine "in-ear speakers" and they made a believer out of me. Mine took about 30 hours to burn-in but when they did, it blew me away. By far the best that I've experienced for a mobile device (Pre, IPOD, etc.) If the upper range over the ear one's are better then what I have, they must be rather impressive.

I got mine on Amazon during one of their Gold Box deals for around $50-60. Screaming bargain of the year for me. Check them out and then let me know if I'm smoking something.

Also, I was previousy a high-end HT dealer (Ayre, Theta, Aerial, etc.) just so you know the back ground that I'm using to judge.

tx,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
I don't know about the HP hardware when it comes to "beats" audio by dre. But what I do know is that the popular "beats" headphones is a scam; why? because if you look on the box there is the logo for Monster (yeah that Monster, that makes the ripoff audio/hdmi wires).

even if they weren't a gimmick and had some good audiophile grade hardware it still won't matter if you are playing it out of an Ipod which outputs crappy audio anyways; and the fact that most people are going to be playing compressed MP3's on their beats equipment which won't sound good either.

http://twitter.com/#!/mpressive6
mpressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post

Not to sound like a jerk, but you tell us. I guarantee you know more about audio than 99% of the people on these boards. It would probably be beneficial and appreciative (I know I would appreciate it) if you did a bit of research and came back with what you've discovered.

barkerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 02:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

It seams I read somewhere that "Beats Audio" also meant they sortened the audio path within the electronics to make less resistance and clearer audio. Less traveling within the hardware less loss? I'm not sure exatly, but that was my take on it.
Old 02/01/2011, 02:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
I'll have to admit that I "used" to be in the Monster is BS hyped camp but I was able to snag a pair of Monster Turbine "in-ear speakers" and they made a believer out of me. Mine took about 30 hours to burn-in but when they did, it blew me away.
I've just started to burn my Beats Studios in and the quality is amazing. I am now finding myself reaching for my Beats instead of my Bose 15's. Sound is clear, bass is amazing, volume is phenomenal.

I'm very satisfied with my Beats. I also used the HP envy 14 beats edition, sounds on that was pretty nice, so HP please put beats on the Topaz.
pip smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2011, 02:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
I've just started to burn my Beats Studios in and the quality is amazing. I am now finding myself reaching for my Beats instead of my Bose 15's. Sound is clear, bass is amazing, volume is phenomenal.

I'm very satisfied with my Beats. I also used the HP envy 14 beats edition, sounds on that was pretty nice, so HP please put beats on the Topaz.
I've never heard of having to "burn-in" headphones. I guess you break-in the plastic bouncy parts after they have been vibrating for some time?
Old 02/01/2011, 03:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

its a marketing gimmick, like srs true sourround.
they wont use high quality hardware just for sound. How expensive to you believe it will be? If the aim is to be cheaper than ipad (whick makes sense) they just cant.

if they wanted to be the audio-pad, they would had choosed a different name. Something more popular like bose or denon or yamaha.
DirkGently is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0