Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I've never heard of having to "burn-in" headphones. I guess you break-in the plastic bouncy parts after they have been vibrating for some time?
    Not sure if your being sarcastic or not. But I'l assume your not. Ye there is hell of a difference once you burn the speakers in. Head-fi.org has a good FAQ about burn in if you want to find out more.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Not sure if your being sarcastic or not. But I'l assume your not. Ye there is hell of a difference once you burn the speakers in. Head-fi.org has a good FAQ about burn in if you want to find out more.
    No, not sarcastic. I've never heard of it before. I'll check out Head-fi.org.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I guess this was a loaded question and I deserve what I see. Bose is one of the most overrated products I know. I had a long talk with Bose at MIT many moons ago and the man is brilliant. Unfortunately he took some concepts way too far.

Shortening the audio path means nothing. At the dimensions we're talking about there can't be more than a few picoseconds of delay. Pushing speakers, it all comes down to the overall path resistance. For example, double blind testing of 50 feet of speaker wire has demonstrated that 12-gauge stranded wire will perform as well or better than any hyped wire. I've got these puppies Browse Album :: ElectroStatic LoudSpeakers running on outdoor lighting wire (12-gauge stranded) that cost me a whopping 8 cents per foot.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I have always heard that Bose was overpriced garbage according to true audiophiles hence the comparison between beats and Bose may be a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I'll have to admit that I "used" to be in the Monster is BS hyped camp but I was able to snag a pair of Monster Turbine "in-ear speakers" and they made a believer out of me. Mine took about 30 hours to burn-in but when they did, it blew me away. By far the best that I've experienced for a mobile device (Pre, IPOD, etc.) If the upper range over the ear one's are better then what I have, they must be rather impressive.

I got mine on Amazon during one of their Gold Box deals for around $50-60. Screaming bargain of the year for me. Check them out and then let me know if I'm smoking something.

Also, I was previousy a high-end HT dealer (Ayre, Theta, Aerial, etc.) just so you know the back ground that I'm using to judge.

tx,

I agree, those are actually a very good pair of earphones. The new ones have better strain relief I see(looking at the box at Best Buy). I may pick up another pair when I can slurge again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    No, not sarcastic. I've never heard of it before. I'll check out Head-fi.org.
    From what I understand, it's using them for an extended period of time with various types of music and on several devices. It's said to bring out the sound better. I have noticed this is true with some headphones, but usually if they sound great out of the box, I don't even bother trying burn in.

There are also those who say a truly good pair needs no burn in. I really didn't need to burn in the Turbines to hear that they were indeed better. The sound right away impresses you if you like loud but clear bass that doesn't distort.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    My understanding is that with HP's stuff, it's that they put in slightly better components (a subwoofer, a nicer speaker, an extra headphone port, a better DAC, something along those lines) and slap a big red circle with a sans serif lower case b on it, and add a couple hundred dollars to the price. My experience with the actual headphones is that they have relatively decent detail, not really *that* bad, but cost far too much. I'm pretty happy with my Grados, so I haven't put a ton of research into the Beats, but they strike me as lifestyle headphones. Here's to hoping that the new superdevices either: Come with a high quality DAC, a line out port, and a high quality amplifier and two headphone ports, and some nice stereo speakers to boot OR don't have a tacky b stuck between the carrier branding, the palm branding, and the HP branding...
    Last edited by ctbeiser; 02/01/2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I'm really confused on this one... As a long-time "purist" audiophile, whenever I hear that someone has made a dramatic improvement in audio quality the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

First, let me say that the audio chain on my Pre Plus is (subjectively) better than my tests with a few iPod and iPhone units I've tested. By this I mean that the sound is less colored, instruments are more natural sounding, voices are more understandable, and there is a much better "listening fatigue" factor.

Now "Beats" comes along... If all they do is muck with things like frequency response then that will not be "cool" at all. I do not need the bass boosted, reverberation added, or other colorization of the audio unless it's to compensate for deficiencies in a specific headphone or speaker. It's one of the reasons that, when traveling, I enjoy a pair of Etymotic earbuds that provide a pretty flat frequency response.

So, what's the scoop on "Beats"? Is this just another "let's make cheap headphones sound better" or something that has some real psycho-acoustic science behind it?
    No offense OP, but if you're a "long-time "purist" audiophile" you would already know the answer to your question because you would have researched it yourself by going to your "audiophile" website of choice. It's strange you would post this question here. It would seem you are not looking for a real answer. I see some other posters on this thread, who don't claim the "purist audiophile" title, have done some research on their own. This question is bogus.
    Yeah, he did say he hated bass boost, which may be what Beats Audio does, knowing the rest of the line. They certainly like to enhance the bass. Maybe he meant to or really wanted to say, "Beats Audio isn't so special" lol.

I have an Envy 14 "Beats" Edition.

Like some of you folks have suggested, it might look like a gimmick but it is not. The Beats do not affect speaker sound. Its only when you plug in your headphones. The Bass picks up smoothly, the sounds get louder, and I can also hear some things or rhythms in the background that I had never heard before when listening to the sound

It really is not a marketing gimmick, it makes the sound ten times more better (believe me). Its not only Bass Boosting.

**Edit**

Also, I also do not own some "Brand" headphones, just some cheap iWave I found at a mall (Even though I am researching headphones right now). I did not even know my headphones could sound this good, no joke
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Yeah, I think the headphones are the rip off, but the audio components in HP products might not be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    I have an Envy 14 "Beats" Edition.

Like some of you folks have suggested, it might look like a gimmick but it is not. The Beats do not affect speaker sound. Its only when you plug in your headphones. The Bass picks up smoothly, the sounds get louder, and I can also hear some things or rhythms in the background that I had never heard before when listening to the sound

It really is not a marketing gimmick, it makes the sound ten times more better (believe me). Its not only Bass Boosting.

**Edit**

Also, I also do not own some "Brand" headphones, just some cheap iWave I found at a mall (Even though I am researching headphones right now). I did not even know my headphones could sound this good, no joke
    http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-...bosnation0e-20

Best Value
    The Beats thing is a gimmic. However, its better than the typical sound card thrown into computers and devices. Like I have mentioned before on here.

I laugh when I see people wallking around with Beats headphones on. Thye are made by Monster... which is inturn overpriced junk. A pair of $150 Sony headphones would spank them. The only good thing Bose can do is its sound cancellation. recently saw that even 50 Cent (cringe) is coming out with his version of headphones as well although they will be wireless. Dont get me started on wireless headphones.

So far, nothing has come close to my 2 year old Vaio with its 24bit soundcard that I have heard when it comes to computer/ device sound cards.
    add me to the list that believes it makes a difference, and it's a ripoff.
    Each to his own I guess

Of course, I did not buy the Envy Beats because of sound, I had it built to order and the Beats were just a nice feature that to me make a difference in sound. How many of your guys actually own a computer with Beats?
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Yeah, I think the headphones are the rip off, but the audio components in HP products might not be.
    This is what I'm trying to ascertain. The only specs I could find where these:

* Board is specifically laid out with attention to Digital to Analogue crossover. Careful attention to layout give us very clean output with almost no line noise. -- Ok, this is motherhood that all high-end audio designers do. So, from this I can infer that they used common layout practices to reduce crosstalk from the digital signals from the analog ones.

* Added amplifier to assure strong and clean listening experience. -- This is a nice thing. It gives ample headroom to reproduce transients that kill underpowered output stages. It will be a nice driver for my Etymolics which are a tad inefficient, but extremely faithful.

* Added Digital Signal Processor to dynamically enhance the sound profile. The Beats Audio profile are tuned DSP settings that were designed with direct feedback from artists and music feedback. -- This is what I fear.. Tweaking the audio channels for impact rather than faithful reproduction. This will help with the built-in speakers as their deficiencies are known, but at the expense of ruining the results from an exceptional audio transducer. Signal processing not only changes the tonality by changing the frequency response but in the process can send the phase response all over the map. If they're adding processing to produce effects (for example adding reverberation to emulate a concert hall) I'm even more concerned.

I guess I'm wary of any product that claims to be a step forward without any hard numbers to back it up. Where is the bandwidth, signal-to-noise, overhead, output power, output impedance, Total Harmonic Distortion, and Inter-modulation Distortion numbers, just to start. Without standard audio test results there is only marketing hype.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by remmy123 View Post
    I laugh when I see people wallking around with Beats headphones on. Thye are made by Monster... which is inturn overpriced junk. A pair of $150 Sony headphones would spank them. The only good thing Bose can do is its sound cancellation. recently saw that even 50 Cent (cringe) is coming out with his version of headphones as well although they will be wireless. Dont get me started on wireless headphones.
    True that, although from what I've heard they are respectable though overpriced headphones. I'm no audiophile by any means though... I use a pair of Skullcandy Titans I got on eBay through my Pre's dying headphone jack. :P
    What really made me laugh though was that today I was in an Apple store (sorry guys) and saw this 9 year old girl insisting to her parents that she needed this particular *color* of Beats branded headphones, and hopping on an iMac to do online research and compare all the different types (probably wanted the Bieber edition )...
    I was just thinking... damn, whatever kind of marketing they are doing, it works.
    Edit: This is kinda amusing.
    Last edited by innocentbystander; 02/01/2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    The only thing I want in regards to "sound" with Webos 2.0 and the new devices is a lower latency than we currently have with the Pre.

I would love nothing more than to have 5 to 10% of the Iphone/Ipad music/studio apps....things like Peavey AmpKit and IK IRig, Jordan Ruddess Morphiz Synth and Alesis's new interface for the IPAD, and hopefully a way to control Nuendo/Cubase from the "Palm Pad"!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12