Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    its how webosworld sees it as well, stating its not just one device he was refering two:

HP CEO Talks Smack: “Get Ready to Get Rid of Those iPhones and iPads” (UPDATE: Early webOS Adopters Wince) | webOSroundup

We love this story for three reasons:

This is the first visit to India by any senior-level HP executive in 10 years. Kudos to him.
    It’s awesome to see Mr. Apotheker show a little moxie (especially when it’s directed at Apple!). We’re really starting to think HP’s got something — dare we say it… cool? — waiting behind the curtain.**
    Did he just say get rid of your iPhones and iPads? Could this mean we’re looking to see both products in short order?
    Great, so people in India are going to get the devices before us now.
    When I worked at Sprint, we used to always have to wait a couple months after launch of new products for employees to buy them. This was sometimes painful when all your friends would show it off to you and working for the company you could not have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Wait.. last week, they were doomed to success because of HP's size and leverage, this week, one of the world's biggest tech companies is the "underdog" - which is it?
    It's both, kind of.
    They do have size and leverage. That will work for them.
    The competition has a rabid fanbase that will spout doom and gloom and predict their failure no matter what happens (even if they succeed).

The former doesn't guarantee they are "doomed to success", but it helps.

The latter is just fun to watch as they foam at the mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    Last time I checked, spoiled brats that threw temper tantrums when they didn't get their way, did not get rewarded by their parents (unless they're pushovers). Maybe this is punishment for all those " if I don't get my way, I'm leaving" threads

maybe it has something to do with India houses 1/6th the world's population and they can get some decent sales numbers. And maybe you're just reading to far into it, and this was merely an attention grabber, which, if it was, certainly worked because it has our attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Funny Ad: (in the story)
    Moon Info Pro.....Not Just For Werewolves, made me chuckle. I'm not going to be the one starting the I Told You So threads, not my style. But when you see me smirking, arms crossed, perhaps chuckling to myself you'll know why. It's ok though, feel free all you doubters.... HP will welcome you all back with open arms, he understands why you ran away from home and rebelled, but as all prodigal sons, also knows you'll come to your senses and seek forgiveness. For it has been a repeating pattern for thousands of years, and when you do come home, we will say WELCOME!
    Nope, no weird, religious stuff here. We will leave that sort of thing to the cult of Mac, right? I guess if HP is going to be cool like Apple, they have to import the overbearing zealotry as well. Smug zealotry, you know, the stuff people around here hate about the Apple community. I have a feeling Leo is being sized for black mock-necks as we speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Nope, no weird, religious stuff here. We will leave that sort of thing to the cult of Mac, right? I guess if HP is going to be cool like Apple, they have to import the overbearing zealotry as well. Smug zealotry, you know, the stuff people around here hate about the Apple community. I have a feeling Leo is being sized for black mock-necks as we speak.
    Black mock-necks? Let's take a look at what he really said:

What's happening is probably the biggest revolution in the history of IT. The internet is going totally mobile, the bandwidth is there...so many technologies are converging, and HP is the one company that can put it all together. We want to be the leader in this.

I hope one day people will say 'this is as cool as HP' not 'as cool as Apple'.
    That is then translated to "HP wants to be Apple. They just can't get past the Apple fetish". Translated to the degree that there is even talk of him dressing like Jobs.

That sounds like a pretty big jump by a religious accolyte...
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    What??? How did you get that from the article?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I REALLY hope that he's right about the hardware when he says to get rid of your iPhone. It's unlikely though, because I've heard that many times and there's maybe 2 phones out there with comparable hardware to the iphone 4.
    Cautiously optimistic, but having the hardware ready doesn't mean to me that it is ready to ship. It means they aren't tinkering with design, specs, etc. It means they are ready for full beta.

Maybe I'm a skeptic, but I don't believe HP or anybody could have kept all this under wraps with virtually no meaningful leaks if there were finished units running around everywhere. I do think they let some air out of the pressure cooker by releasing the "early" designs. My bet is the early designs are final sans a few easy changes like more memory, faster processor.

I do think they will announce an ecosystem that includes a 4G phone and a 4G tablet. The integration with whatever ecosystem and a list of COMMITTED developers is what I'll be watching for.
    7d 23h 47m
    To me ready means, they know the specs and have factories ready to produce. I don't think they are packed and sitting in a warehouse awaiting distribution. If they were that far along, I would imagine we would have more leaked pics and specs. There is enough excitement for someone to get fired over IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    To me ready means, they know the specs and have factories ready to produce. I don't think they are packed and sitting in a warehouse awaiting distribution. If they were that far along, I would imagine we would have more leaked pics and specs. There is enough excitement for someone to get fired over IMHO.
    I think it does if he states they will be shipping these new products weeks after the show. They def couldnt just mean they have the spec sheet, we even had a leaked spec sheet that was from months ago on the topaz. As the CEO stated they will only announce products that are ready to ship that says it all.
    and just supposing they were ready-in-a-box, then they did a helluva job
    Hardware could be ready, but no word on the software; that is the million dollar question?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    <thread merged>
    I am on my break right now, no time to read through this topic -- but this is really the first confirmation that PHONES are ready and will be discussed this Feb. 9th. Before it was just a general "WebOS Announcement" where general product info will be discussed, but now we need to get rid of out iPhones and iPads because on Feb. 9th, they will be ready. Or at least soon after that announcement. Which I am happy about!
    Leo is hyping this b, big time. I truly hope they have something awesome coming up and it's not like this:

Palm Pre Sales Slowing | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

“You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two-year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone. Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later.”

– Palm investor Roger McNamee
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I think it does if he states they will be shipping these new products weeks after the show. They def couldnt just mean they have the spec sheet, we even had a leaked spec sheet that was from months ago on the topaz. As the CEO stated they will only announce products that are ready to ship that says it all.
    In Palm's history weeks has meant 12. Production, Q&A and distribution aren't overnight or as the Pre attests - shouldn't be. Days can easily mean 365. Don't let the marketing fool you. I hope I'm wrong and HP is a secrecy juggernaut like Apple. With 300K employees, it seems unlikely, but there is always hope.
    Just found out my company added HP to compete with Dell. Looks like WebOS is in my future. Our fiscal year ends June 30, so I hope orders are available before then.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast