Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I was walking through my local mall yesterday and strolled past the Apple Store. It was packed with people, as usual, and had about 15 iPads, 20 iPhone 4s, and numerous other Apple machines on display for people to use. I went in to just look around while my wife shopped and it made me think that if HP really, truly wants to compete with Apple and get people to say "as cool as HP" like Apotheker wants and get into the mainstream, then they will have to do something very similar and open up retail outlets for the masses to go in and try their stuff before they buy. This would include hiring retail sales "geniuses" etc. etc. However, this seems EXTREMELY unlikely to me.

Do you guys think HP will go that route and start opening up "HP Stores" in a mall near you, NYC's Times Square, Paris, London, etc. etc?

I think it would be great if they did, but I just don't think it will happen. I don't think they'll commit the funding necessary to do that.

I think whether or not the Palm Pad and HP are successful could depend on this.
    Last edited by DDT1345; 01/30/2011 at 07:37 PM.
    it would make more sense to me to work out a deal with best buy to set up a dedicated booth/section for their products. i dont see any of this happening though.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I seriously doubt that HP will ever do that. That is why they have their extensive sales channels.

That being said, they could do what Nokia has done and just open 'flagship' stores, like just one store in each MAJOR metro. Though I think that didn't pan-out so well for Nokia.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    hmmm, I don't think it's going to work. Mall near by my place got Apple store and Sony store. As you know Sony got much better consumer products than HP. They got PS3, computers, DSLR, Digital Camcorder and 3D TV and many more cool gadgets. But any given day, Apple store got 2 or 3 times more people than Sony store. Matter of fact, it looks pretty sad in Sony store.

If HP open the Hp store in the mall, what do they have? Boring looking laptops? HP servers? they really got nothing to show for, atleast on consumer side.
    I think some form of this would be a good idea, their stores or a system like Garrett metioned with different partners with their own experts. It might be tough to pull it off.

Maybe they can strategically rent space in some cities close to Apple stores, hopefully to get a % of these customers to visit HP after/before they enter Apple store.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 01/30/2011 at 07:49 PM.
    Not necessary. HP has shelf space in BestBuy, Wal-MArt, Staples, Office Depot\Max, Costco, etc. They have all the retail presence they need already built in. They just need the inventory to back it up.
    An HP Store? Why start now? They've been in this business for quite some time and their distribution and sales channels seem to be working quite well.

Then again, if they want to build their brand image, they should go for it.
    With the palmpad (or whatever it will be named) just pay for bestbuy, walmart etc to put up a nice large display about the pad, to have diplays on hand to show off and then the models locked up in glass like all tech stuff is. There, you can play with the ipad and the palmpad and decide.
    One thing a store might be good for: showing off an ecosystem. You can't trust the guys at Best Buy to do that properly. Other than that, there are lots of ways to get HP products. I doubt whether an HP store would ever make money. But if they had some kind of amazing demo and were able to show it off to people, that could be a draw.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Or on the kiosks I mentioned, put a nice 30 inch lcd and show a looping video. Shows all the cool stuff, the sprint stores did that when the pre came out.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    One thing a store might be good for: showing off an ecosystem. You can't trust the guys at Best Buy to do that properly. Other than that, there are lots of ways to get HP products. I doubt whether an HP store would ever make money. But if they had some kind of amazing demo and were able to show it off to people, that could be a draw.
    This is what I was thinking. Apple shows their ecosystem and people get sucked in and never get out. The store, and the "geniuses" that come with it showing you how things work and are integrated, is key to that.

My posing this question was really all based on Apotheker (spelling?) stating he wants people to use the phrase "as cool as HP" instead of "as cool as Apple" when referring to a gadget. I don't that will ever be possible without an "HP Store".
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    it would make more sense to me to work out a deal with best buy to set up a dedicated booth/section for their products. i dont see any of this happening though.
    Yes this is exactly what HP does....played around with the Beats HP Laptop Today which had a pretty prominent position display wise right next to Best Buys Apple booth and a huge banner sign used to grab people's attention.

What's interesting about the whole display was I wanted to checkout Dr. Dre's Beats audio additions and headset and there it was in all of it magic. Beats is by far the best thing I've ever heard coming from a Laptop and Headset and I'm really excited to see more of Beats tech hopefully coming to webOS.

Fingers Crossed!!!! Sorli...
    I think it would be a good idea for HP to buy space at stores, but have their own stores? I think it is ridiculous that Apple has stores, so I don't see HP quite doing that. When they start making TV's and DVD players then maybe.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345
    Will HP open "HP Stores" like the Apple Store?
    They already did - it's call Best Buy and it's staffed by the same caliber of folks I suspect would work at a genuine, brick-and-mortar HP store.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr
    Or on the kiosks I mentioned, put a nice 30 inch lcd and show a looping video. Shows all the cool stuff, the sprint stores did that when the pre came out.
    And we all know how THAT clever marketing gimmick catapulted the Pre to the top of the smartphone market.
    HP shouldn't/wouldn't do this with their current brand. They could launch a new brand like "inTouch from HP" and then try that strategy. Would have too much trouble with their existing brand persona as a corporate player to make HP Stores work. People would assume they wouldn't see the latest technology, but the latest laser printer or something.

In Silicon Valley, they might be able to get away with "the HP garage" playing off their history. They could demonstrate both real products and coming attractions.

I frankly think both would be a waste of money at the moment. I'd like to see an "inTouch" rebrand of an entire ecosystem of products and services. They don't need the name WebOS. That's really for geeks and developers. They need a consumer or corporate-facing branding. Nothing wrong with Palm, but it suggests the physical, not the concept (ie. inTouch). Not to mention, Palm has a history of great stuff that's disappointed.

They could sell the ecosystem as a concept with maybe 5 current devices (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, printer). Along with some cloud services, this would be a great start. With the iPad, Apple has a whole ecosystem for the family built around entertainment and graphics-focused productivity. From iMac, iphone, ipod, ipad, there is an entire ecosystem for the family.

HP could create a tie in with corporate and play a different angle to get from corporate to the home instead of the other way around. Remember the Apple II. They've gone from school to home to the graphics workplace. They've never cracked corporate. HP could go from corporate, to mobile professional to remote monitoring, social networking to home.

A thought anyway.
    as I already said in another thread...they need a store to show the inter-connectivity of all their devices.

I don't think they can display that within best buy/...
    Didn't Dell open up Dell outlets that are now all closed? Me thinks HP would have problems trying that, but who knows.
    Yeah I don't think HP has the coolness factor yet. HP does not equate to any level of "coolness" yet. They've got a lot of work to do before this can happen, if they ever wanted it.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Put enough shiny gadgets in a room and people are bound to walk in to touch them. Thats why most people in apple stores are teens like myself playing with photobooth. (except i can do that on my mac at home )
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Didn't Dell open up Dell outlets that are now all closed? Me thinks HP would have problems trying that, but who knows.
    The number one mistake with Dell's stores and kiosks was that they didn't have any inventory; you couldn't walk away with anything.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast