Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    I was walking through my local mall yesterday and strolled past the Apple Store. It was packed with people, as usual, and had about 15 iPads, 20 iPhone 4s, and numerous other Apple machines on display for people to use. I went in to just look around while my wife shopped and it made me think that if HP really, truly wants to compete with Apple and get people to say "as cool as HP" like Apotheker wants and get into the mainstream, then they will have to do something very similar and open up retail outlets for the masses to go in and try their stuff before they buy. This would include hiring retail sales "geniuses" etc. etc. However, this seems EXTREMELY unlikely to me.

Do you guys think HP will go that route and start opening up "HP Stores" in a mall near you, NYC's Times Square, Paris, London, etc. etc?

I think it would be great if they did, but I just don't think it will happen. I don't think they'll commit the funding necessary to do that.

I think whether or not the Palm Pad and HP are successful could depend on this.

I think it would be great if they did -- and if they did, it would be called WebOS Central or something along those lines -- but I doubt they would go the route. They MIGHT have stores in Best Buy, similar to what Apple has done. But I don't see full fledge stores any time in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Not necessary. HP has shelf space in BestBuy, Wal-MArt, Staples, Office Depot\Max, Costco, etc. They have all the retail presence they need already built in. They just need the inventory to back it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    An HP Store? Why start now? They've been in this business for quite some time and their distribution and sales channels seem to be working quite well.

Then again, if they want to build their brand image, they should go for it.
    OK. I'm Joe Consumer. I walk into a B&M store and I see the webOS devices. How am I going to find out all that the webOS devices can do, as opposed to an iPad or some type of tablet device.

For example:
    Synergy
    The rumored seamless feature between webos Tablet and webos Phone
    Touchstone
    What your device can do on the Touchstone

Not to mention if HP has some kind of cloud feature available day one.

How do I find out about all that stuff? And keep in mind, I'm Joe Consumer, I don't read tech blogs or forums.

If all of the above are available day one, webOS has a lot more going on than a simple Galaxy Tab, or some other tablet device.

I own an iPad. I like it. I will probably by the iPad 2 and a webOS tablet. However compared to the above, my iPad looks like a I trick pony. The seamless switching between phone and tablet should have been a day one feature in the Apple world.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 01/31/2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Will this Apple fetish ever end? HP would become a joke by going this rout. They will have to fight MS to get locations close to Apple Stores. The industry still hasn't stopped laughing at MS. By all means, join the party.

First, a few questions: Who is the target market? The buyers of cheap PCs will just keep buying them from K/Walmart. It is not like HP is having trouble moving them. Is HP short on shelf space. They own BB, Fry's, and every other big box still in business. Remember CompUSA and Circuit City? Also big HP houses. Where are they now?

Enterprise customers are not going to be shopping at a retail location for 50,000 units. They will not buy phones or pads from an Apple-style location. So who does HP reach that they don't already? If the phones and pads are good, all the places HP sells things now will just add the new products and include appropriate displays.

Also, HP would have to change their name and branding. In the consumer space, they are commodity, discount hardware. That is not the kind of thing that fits in high class malls and high profile shopping areas for the rich and famous. Apple Stores are as much a destination in some places, as they are stop-off points. An HP store will never be a destination.

If HP successfully changes their brand image with appropriate products and pricing to sustain such locations, them perhaps it would make sense, especially if they were not already getting the kind of exposure they needed through other channels. Right now, it seems like a solution in search of a problem.
    I never went in a Dell outlet and I probably never would. Why? Because I believed (rightly or wrongly) I already knew what I'd find. Some box-line desktop or laptop with a few games load and some Flash or Powerpoint demonstration. I'd find a me-too smartphone or PDA and some schpiel about a extended service warranty.

Frankly, I don't understand the frenzy at the Apple store either. Maybe I'm just old and jaded. I just want my products to do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Will this Apple fetish ever end? HP would become a joke by going this rout. They will have to fight MS to get locations close to Apple Stores. The industry still hasn't stopped laughing at MS. By all means, join the party.

First, a few questions: Who is the target market? The buyers of cheap PCs will just keep buying them from K/Walmart. It is not like HP is having trouble moving them. Is HP short on shelf space. They own BB, Fry's, and every other big box still in business. Remember CompUSA and Circuit City? Also big HP houses. Where are they now?

Enterprise customers are not going to be shopping at a retail location for 50,000 units. They will not buy phones or pads from an Apple-style location. So who does HP reach that they don't already? If the phones and pads are good, all the places HP sells things now will just add the new products and include appropriate displays.

Also, HP would have to change their name and branding. In the consumer space, they are commodity, discount hardware. That is not the kind of thing that fits in high class malls and high profile shopping areas for the rich and famous. Apple Stores are as much a destination in some places, as they are stop-off points. An HP store will never be a destination.

If HP successfully changes their brand image with appropriate products and pricing to sustain such locations, them perhaps it would make sense, especially if they were not already getting the kind of exposure they needed through other channels. Right now, it seems like a solution in search of a problem.
    Well said!!! Especially, the last line.

I want WebOS to be successful because I like what it has to offer. I appreciate the dialog here to think about what might work. I think it may end up being simply how much money is HP willing to risk to buy into this market?

I think if they wanted, they could subsidize development of the 200 most-wanted apps by summer. They could announce that on February 9th. They could then wow the geek-press (think engadget) and push volume through Best Buy and corporate channels. I'm not sure they've ever been willing to make that big a bet on WebOS.

I'm hopeful they have something up their sleeve because they went through the trouble to buy the company when they could have just went Android like everybody else.

Do you understand why the Apple Store is so successful? It is successful not because it is in high class malls, not because it has Apple on it -- but because Apple wanted to show people the Apple difference. They didn't want to see Apple products per se -- they wanted to show people why they need and can't live without Apple products. How they think of the small things and how that add's up to a better product.

This is what Apple has been trying to do for a long time, and creating this store was very successful for them. In fact, they are the only computer store that was able to do this. Gateway stopped doing it. Why? Because they could no longer successfully make money compared to Dell.

With all this said, IF HP did this they would not have to re brand themselves. They'd just have to show what makes HP products different. But I still don't see HP doing something like this because they don't need to. They still make tons of money a year and they still have tons of customers. It is not needed.

And don't forget CompUSA sold Apple products. I first got my hands on experience with Mac OS X Tiger at CompUSA. Is that the reason that company went under? No. Bad management and poor choices is why it went under, and same with Circuit City. If HP is to blame then thats why Office Depot and Staples have went out of business, right? Those are real stores where HP products are all over. But wait, those stores are not out of business. Don't try to blame HP or any computer company for the failure of a store. Unless, that store was a store that specifically sold that brand only -- nothing else. Kinda like the Apple Store. I mean, if that fails, should I blame HP? Of course not. Because it is an Apple Store.
    I am seriously starting to think that 2/3 of the forum members on precentral just need to go buy an ipad and call it good.
    HP has a strong presence at Best Buy, Frys, etc. I don't see them opening stores to compete with their current channel. Dell tried opening their own stores once... that didn't end well. Apple is a special company, and it's probably a bad idea to imitate them because it rarely translates well.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I never went in a Dell outlet and I probably never would. Why? Because I believed (rightly or wrongly) I already knew what I'd find. Some box-line desktop or laptop with a few games load and some Flash or Powerpoint demonstration. I'd find a me-too smartphone or PDA and some schpiel about a extended service warranty.

Frankly, I don't understand the frenzy at the Apple store either. Maybe I'm just old and jaded. I just want my products to do something.
    One of the things that make the Apple stores work is that everyone that works there is very knowledgeable and passionate about the products. When I go to Fry's or BB, it's hard to find anyone that knows an atom CPU from quad core gaming rig. But when I go in to an apple store, I have yet to talk to someone that doesn't know their stuff and really believe in it. Of course, I didn't buy anything... I was just there to help a friend that insists on buying everything apple.

Point is, they are good at demonstrating the products in a way that people can understand, they are enthusiastic, and they are always willing to answer questions from anyone that wanders in.

For HP to do that, they'd first have to turn their back on the channel, and then build stores that are essentially Microsoft Windows stores. Why? because most of what they sell is running windows. webOS would have a little section between printers and accessories. HP sells Windows.

If anyone should open up stores to take on Apple, it should be Microsoft, because that's what is running on HP/Dell/Gateway/Acer/etc.. That would be a train wreck worth watching...
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    the 3 apple stores i have seen are ALWAYS packed.. this is more proof of apples marketing genius.. i give credit where credit is due.. i don't like iOS, but if there's one thing apple does right, it's marketing. i think hp should open a store... directly across from apples stores, when possible.. in the front window of the store should be constant videos of hp webOS phones and tablets, hp laptops with beats by dre, the cool touchscreen windows 7 interface they use and more. i think this would spark interest.. people already like hp because it's a solid brand.. but those same people can be sucked into apples world when they walk by and see 50 people in an apple store, smiling and playing with stuff.. sometimes I even want to go in! if hp were right across the way people would be able to compare the products side by side (pretty much).. and i believe if they see the beauty of webOS, the connectivity that hp intends to bring, the plethora of options in laptops, pc's, accessories and more (AND at a cheaper price), they'll choose hp over apple. i am all for hp only stores, i think they should..
    What if suddenly, Apple was involved in a HUUGGEE corporate scandal. Something that involves human rights, or maybe even corporate espionage and what not.

Will that taint Apple's image? Will that make people buy less from their produce basket?

I'm thinking no, considering that suicide fiasco with Foxconn and the product-leak-turned-invasion-of-privacy with Gizmodo's editor.

So what does that mean? Consumers don't care about the company nor its image.

Where does that leave us?

It's not Apple's store nor product that gets consumers.

It's other people, colleagues, classmates, friends, lovers, and family who already have these products that keep them and reel them in.

For 20 points, considering the above scenario, how do you package and sell to these Apple circles? Go.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    in addition.. kids these days flock to the newest coolest toys.. and by kids i mean ages 16-25. the older crowd are usually already set in their way of doing things so an hp store seems pointless when i can go online or to a best buy.. but remember as time passes these pads/tablets/slates and touchscreen phones are going to be marketed to kids and young adults.. you know.. the cool people.. "seasoned" adults aren't too worried about being cool.. the money is gonna come from little 16 year old jimmy walking through the mall with mom and dad, seeing those cool new adds playing on that hp internet tv in the hp store and saying, "lets go in here mom/dad." he'll see something he likes and his parents probably will too.. or they may even go into that apple store and jimmys parent will say "you don't have a job, jimmy. this apple stuff is too expensive. lets see what we can find you at the hp store." don't underestimate the impact of this young generation.. they jump onto what's cool no matter the brand name.. if it's actually cool and worth it (which webOS is) these kids are gonna jump on it.. android is a perfect example, and kids are just waiting for the next hot thing.. adults too.. in my opinion (of course all of the above was my opinion as well) apple is a status piece, and forever will be.. i say this because apple products don't have to cost as much as they do. everything i can do on a mac, i can do on my windows 7 pc with the right hardware.. apple is not a brand, it's a status. someone needs to take them off of their high horse and it needs to be hp...
    As of right now, I don't see enough cool products that can be showed off at a HP store besides the Envy laptops and that printer that has an Android tablet. So once the build an ecosystem with cool products that talk to each other, then a HP Store would be nice. Palm had quite a few of these when the Treo was hot, now all we have is memories.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    ...In Silicon Valley, they might be able to get away with "the HP garage" playing off their history. They could demonstrate both real products and coming attractions....
    I really like the "HP Garage" name. If they did start a store, calling it the HP Garage would be really cool IMO.

Thanks for your other comments, I think a lot are valid. We'll have to wait and see.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Do you understand why the Apple Store is so successful? It is successful not because it is in high class malls, not because it has Apple on it -- but because Apple wanted to show people the Apple difference. They didn't want to see Apple products per se -- they wanted to show people why they need and can't live without Apple products. How they think of the small things and how that add's up to a better product.

This is what Apple has been trying to do for a long time, and creating this store was very successful for them. In fact, they are the only computer store that was able to do this. Gateway stopped doing it. Why? Because they could no longer successfully make money compared to Dell.

With all this said, IF HP did this they would not have to re brand themselves. They'd just have to show what makes HP products different. But I still don't see HP doing something like this because they don't need to. They still make tons of money a year and they still have tons of customers. It is not needed.

And don't forget CompUSA sold Apple products. I first got my hands on experience with Mac OS X Tiger at CompUSA. Is that the reason that company went under? No. Bad management and poor choices is why it went under, and same with Circuit City. If HP is to blame then thats why Office Depot and Staples have went out of business, right? Those are real stores where HP products are all over. But wait, those stores are not out of business. Don't try to blame HP or any computer company for the failure of a store. Unless, that store was a store that specifically sold that brand only -- nothing else. Kinda like the Apple Store. I mean, if that fails, should I blame HP? Of course not. Because it is an Apple Store.
    Good points.

However, I don't see HP doing this either, but I started this thread because Apotheker said he want's people to say "as cool as HP" instead of "as cool as Apple." I don't think that the "as cool as HP" imagine is acheivable without an "HP Store."

Rebranding, reimaging, and HP Store, etc. very well may not be necessary for HP to make money on WebOS, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm specifically talking about the "as cool as HP" notion. Without an HP Store, I never see that happening. A corner of a Best Buy just won't cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    Good points.

However, I don't see HP doing this either, but I started this thread because Apotheker said he want's people to say "as cool as HP" instead of "as cool as Apple." I don't think that the "as cool as HP" imagine is acheivable without an "HP Store."

Rebranding, reimaging, and HP Store, etc. very well may not be necessary for HP to make money on WebOS, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm specifically talking about the "as cool as HP" notion. Without an HP Store, I never see that happening. A corner of a Best Buy just won't cut it.
    Now THAT is a good point. I am not 100% sure if HP could achieve that without a store, either, but I think it can be done. Do people think Apple is cool because of the store, or because of it's product design and over all user experience? And do they think Apple is cool because of reading PC Mag or by walking into an Apple Store?

I think having it's own booth at Best Buy would be the smartest way to go. Taking a risk like Apple did with it's own store would be very hard to do, especially since this store would pretty much exclusively be for WebOS devices. Apple has a wide variety of products ranging from computers, music players, smartphones, TV set top boxes plus it's genius bar. So really, with WebOS -- at least for now -- a dedicated booth makes more sense. Now if HP starts making WebOS it's exclusive OS and dumb's Windows -- then making a dedicated store front would help to expose customers to your product.

So really, it all depends on what HP is planning on doing in the long term with WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    This is the biggest problem with an HP store. There is no HP difference. For the most part, it is just a cheap PC loaded with crapware. Throw in a free printer, and call it a day.

What some people might be calling for is a wOS store. That would still be a dicey proposition, as the products just aren't there. This is all based on speculation about what the products will be, and how they will usher in a new era of innovation. What if they just catch up to the rest of the pack behind Apple? Would it still be worth building retail stores? Should there be Android stores? Do you need specialty stores for commodity wares? Once again all this talk of stores is based on what might be released, not on what currently exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    the 3 apple stores i have seen are ALWAYS packed..
    I've often wondered what Apple stores are for. The ones I have seen have generally been fairly empty with just a handful of spotty teenagers playing with the displays. I didn't realise people actually bought things there and assumed they were a loss leader for Apple.

Clearly I was wrong.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This is the biggest problem with an HP store. There is no HP difference. For the most part, it is just a cheap PC loaded with crapware. Throw in a free printer, and call it a day.
    Tell me about it, I purchased a HP laptop last week and it was absolutely loaded with junk-ware - It was simply easier to wipe it and do a clean install than deal with removing it all.
    Like said, HP has dedicated space already in every major retail outlet, just leverage that for now until they're really popular, then they can make the dedicated stores.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast