Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    im no computer wiz but i had a thought on what type of processor they should use on their next phone...
    i was thinkin that instead of using a dual core cortex a9 y not use a single core a9 instead?
    its more efficient on battery life then the a8 while running faster. i think dual cores are just a bit overkill on a smart phone and the pre already runs extra smooth at 1ghz so is it necessary to double that? i personally hope for a single core a9 with a real nice gpu to go along with it any thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by KestoD View Post
    im no computer wiz but i had a thought on what type of processor they should use on their next phone...
    i was thinkin that instead of using a dual core cortex a9 y not use a single core a9 instead?
    its more efficient on battery life then the a8 while running faster. i think dual cores are just a bit overkill on a smart phone and the pre already runs extra smooth at 1ghz so is it necessary to double that? i personally hope for a single core a9 with a real nice gpu to go along with it any thoughts
    You have a valid point. I just think that certain processes may require dual cores. And excluding the Tegra 2 line, cores can be turned on and off depending on the process.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    if they can maintain a batterylife of 48h average use, it doesnt matter.

in a few year phones will replace our computers, you will just have an extra keyboard and display.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    You have a valid point. I just think that certain processes may require dual cores. And excluding the Tegra 2 line, cores can be turned on and off depending on the process.
    true but wut good is that extra processor if the os isn't optimized 4 it?
    Today's technology is dead tomorrow if they want to make a real impact they MUST go with a dualcore. Firmware can always be updated and improved to take better advantage of cutting edge hardware but you can only do so much with outdated hardware. Also I may be wrong but if your main prerogative is better battery life it should be relatively easy to disable one of the cores and run it as a single core.
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    if they can maintain a batterylife of 48h average use, it doesnt matter.
    the Pre2 already does 48h at average use. Not a problem, as long as you don't set your mail to push.

So I also think a good single-A9 should be sufficient for a phone.
    the number of cores doesn't always equate to battery life. My previous laptop was a single core and got less than 3 hours on a brand new battery.

my current notebook is a dual core, significantly faster, and easily gets more than 8 hours of battery with continuous use.
    true but wut good is that extra processor if the os isn't optimized 4 it?
    What better OS is there for dual core than the only current Mobile OS with true full multitasking? I'm not counting Maemo because it's been dead in the water while the focus is put on MeeGo, which isn't out yet.. I still love my Nokia N900 though.
    battery life improves with increasing cores. That is because work is done faster so less energy is expanded. Multi cores when multi tasking uses less battery than a single core when multi tasking.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suburban_war View Post
    What better OS is there for dual core than the only current Mobile OS with true full multitasking? I'm not counting Maemo because it's been dead in the water while the focus is put on MeeGo, which isn't out yet.. I still love my Nokia N900 though.
    true a second core would help with multitasking but the pre+ at 500mhz already handles up to 50 cards no problem... and the os isnt optimized to take advantage of that second core so i thought it would be useless... and ya they could update the os so it does but they have to get 2.0 out first b4 that =P
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    battery life improves with increasing cores. That is because work is done faster so less energy is expanded. Multi cores when multi tasking uses less battery than a single core when multi tasking.
    well from what i understand thats not always necessarily true especially if both cores reach there maximum speed... but i guess we'll find out more when the motorola atrix comes out =p i assumed hey stuck that huge 1900mah battery because of the dual cores power consumption
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the number of cores doesn't always equate to battery life. My previous laptop was a single core and got less than 3 hours on a brand new battery.

my current notebook is a dual core, significantly faster, and easily gets more than 8 hours of battery with continuous use.
    While what you initially say is true, your example does not back it up. You're comparing the energy usage between 2 different families of processors. It's equivalent to comparing an Intel 486 to a brand new Intel i7 and saying multiple cores is faster. The OP proposed 2 configurations of the same family of processors, the Cortex A9. It's like comparing an i7 with hyper-threading on and another with it off.

The battery saving between multi and single core varies with tasks/usage, power consumption of other parts, etc. A dual core sitting idle with 1 core off still uses more power than a single core running idle because there is more overhead in managing when to turn that second core on. But, when you're using the device and a second core makes the task finish sooner (time to return to idle) there is a power saving because the screen and maybe the antenna are running a shorter amount of time.

So, a power user may see a savings but an idler or person who only checks email probably wont see a savings.

Personally, I'd rather see added gizmos like, auto focusing camera, compass, etc because those bring in a larger variety of apps and apps are a large selling point.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

Exactly.

true a second core would help with multitasking but the pre+ at 500mhz already handles up to 50 cards no problem... and the os isnt optimized to take advantage of that second core so i thought it would be useless... and ya they could update the os so it does but they have to get 2.0 out first b4 that =P
    Handling multiple tabs is more of a RAM issue then a processor issue. And how do you know if WebOS is optimized for duel core or not? I would assume if HP released a duel core phone/tablet, then they would optimize the OS to go with that optimization.
    also, if they would fully utlize the GPU, that would probably do more to improve battery life than anything else. I don't know why palm hasn't done that yet, but scrolling to the bottom of long web pages really pounds the cpu. Good way to warm fingers on a cold day. But for making it through the day without recharging, not so much.
    IIRC from older threads, webOS can take advantage of multiple cores. It's just a compile time setting on the linux kernel.