Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It sounds, to me, like HP is doing the same thing with the Palm smartphones. It seems like they only mention them when they have to.
    Now how would YOU even have a clue when they "have" to?

Personally, I opine that they are intentionally discreet for marketting and competitive reasons... and that Feb 9 and after is the start of a much different PRPRPR $policy$...

But, hey, what do I know?

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Seriously (OK, not really, but semi-seriously), if you'd just break down and buy a WebOS device, I'd think you were my like-minded unknown cousin.
    I too believe that there's back door stuff coming from Sprint. I don't know what it is, but my guess is that Sprint is going to announce a new way of offering devices (multi-radio possibly, maybe even probably, or possibly in how they handle multiple data devices on one account), and 2 days later, HP is going to announce (among other things) that they will be the first company offering devices that take advantage of that.

I know this, February - March is going to be fun in the mobile/small device world.

Small side note - the developer meeting after the big meeting in February has no more room. So much for "no interest", huh?
    If I had the money, I would totally buy one right now. At last, I don't, so I wait. So I wait. And speaking of Sprint, I was talking to one of their reps last night. He didn't tell me anything, but something struck me as kinda odd. I mentioned I am waiting to buy a new phone until Feb 9th where HP is going to announce new phones, and the way he responded kinda sounded like , to me, that he would too. I don't know if he knows something we don't, or if he just expects an HP phone for Sprint like you and I. It really could have been either way.

And I believe you might be right with what Sprint and HP are announcing. I don't think it is by accident that Sprint is announcing something and HP around the same time.

Developers interested in HP's WebOS? Man, you crazy. Why would anyone be interested in a platform that is being backed by one of the largest computer companies in the world? It just don't make sense (haha i kid)
    It sounds, to me, like HP is doing the same thing with the Palm smartphones. It seems like they only mention them when they have to.
    It's called "secrecy" and is the same reason why you won't find Apple, just as an example, talking about the iPhone 5 before they officially announce it under divers alarums.

Of course, every single HP executive that has hinted at how important a strategic decision buying webOS was must have lied to placate us webOS fans. Because that's #1 on their agenda if they intend to not use webOS at all.

It's gonna be so funny seeing you flail around after February 9. "But it was so unlikely that they were really serious!"
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 01/30/2011 at 11:56 AM.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    My guess is they aren't talking about Palm smartphone because come the 9th, palm smartphones will not exist... A clean rebrand will occur and Palm and Pre will be consigned to the dustbin of history.
    That hasn't been my experience. I've heard several mentions, just not many details.

Yet.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    My guess is they aren't talking about Palm smartphone because come the 9th, palm smartphones will not exist... A clean rebrand will occur and Palm and Pre will be consigned to the dustbin of history.
    I really would doubt this. But we will see.
    Wow, I should really keep an eye on my posts so that my comments don't balloon out of context. I wish I had posted this two pages ago.

Please understand that my post wasn't aimed at how good multitasking is on WebOS, or even how bad it is on other devices. I bought a Pre for two reasons:

1. I used to own multiple PalmOS devices, but not a Treo.

2. I was waiting for a smart phone that did multitasking (hence why I never owned a Treo)

I was so excited when the Pre was announced, but let's face it... I was excited because I am a geek. Multitasking isn't cool!

...and that was my point all along. The statement tried to explain why WebOS is cool. The example used was Multitasking. This really missed the point.

To end this, ask yourself this one simple question:

Why is the IPhone cool?
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    Why is the IPhone cool?
    Because of the logo on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    That's a good answer, but not one an IPhone user would give.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    That's a good answer, but not one an IPhone user would give.
    Oh don't you worry, I help every iPhone user I meet understand that it's true.
    definitely NOT.

It is cool because it has technology before other devices have them. It's the "leap ahead" what makes it cool. People like that!
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    definitely NOT.

It is cool because it has technology before other devices have them. It's the "leap ahead" what makes it cool. People like that!
    Name one functin the iphone had, at it's launch, that other phones never had done before.

While you are working on that list, many of us could easily make a HUGE list of features the iphone DID NOT have at launch, that other phones did.

I promise you, had ios been released on anything but an Apple branded device, it would be an entirely different ballgame.

It's very much like mp3 players. How many people don't even know that mp3 players existed before ipod's? ipod's did not provide something revolutionary to mp3 players. What it brought was a cute package with a fruit logo.
    What it brought was a cute package with a fruit logo.
    Exactly! I have no intention of turning this thread into an IPhone love/hate argument, but the point is that it is not the technology behind the IPhone that makes it cool. It's about the packaging and what you can do with it.

Here's an article that I found whilst looking for why IPhones are cool.

The iPhone: It's chic, smart and cool, but is it about to lose its mojo? | Technology | The Observer

There is one quote from this article that tries to explain my point...

"It arguably has the strongest brand in tech. It is cool. It stands for more than just a phone. It is a fashion statement. It is a lifestyle,"

If Apotheker thinks that WebOS is cool because of the multitasking capabilities, he needs to visit a phone shop and try and sell it to customers.

Also, I'm not being negative about WebOS and the Feb announcement. I am really truely excited about the Pad, and can't wait to show people how it will integrate with everything around me.
    Ease of software (multitasking et al) is cool
    but content (ie apps) is still king. I hope among those 6,000 apps, there are some key ones besides Angry Birds.
    Regarding documents, HP has some specs out that say one can view documents, but I don't see anything about editing docs.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Or maybe Leo's going to announce a new product in March and actually have the product in a realistic pipeline. Essentially, prior to the February San Francisco 'Think' unveiling he espoused the notion that HP needs to improve on its ability to bring products to market rapidly only to be flumoxxed by the announced spring and summer release dates of the Veer, Pre 3, and TouchPad....so maybe this one of those interesting plays. The Veer, Pre 3, and TouchPad products seem to be of the HP playbook (reference unintended). They address respective markets. The Veer for the niche/utility market, the Pre 3 for the business market, and the TouchPad for the gold rush market. Maybe, just maybe, Palm had a slab form factor device in the works (is it Mansion?) and maybe just maybe Leo can have one of those 'how do you like me now' moments where he can say that HP can deliver to market in a reasonable amount of time?

Or...then again maybe it is just another HP vision pep talk...perhaps to keep interest to offset the fact that spring and summer are painfully long away in a dynamic market...

Or...maybe pricing and carrier information for the new family?
    You know, I would venture to guess that a vast majority of iPhone owners, the iPhone was their first Apple product and know nothing else about Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You know, I would venture to guess that a vast majority of iPhone owners, the iPhone was their first Apple product and know nothing else about Apple.
    you proved his point. They knew nothing else about Apple except that they make the iPod, and that they're the epitome of cool. They certainly didn't (and mostly don't) care about its hardware or software merits and downfalls. It's the thing to have, pure and simple. Does it have an apple on the back? SOLD!

And that's why I don't think HP is ever gonna be as cool as Apple - Apple is cool because of Steven Jobs. HP can only be the nerdy kid trying hard to fit in with the kool krew at his high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    you proved his point. They knew nothing else about Apple except that they make the iPod, and that they're the epitome of cool. They certainly didn't (and mostly don't) care about its hardware or software merits and downfalls. It's the thing to have, pure and simple. Does it have an apple on the back? SOLD!

And that's why I don't think HP is ever gonna be as cool as Apple - Apple is cool because of Steven Jobs. HP can only be the nerdy kid trying hard to fit in with the kool krew at his high school.
    So it's your assertion that if the iPhone sucked as a phone, couldn't be used to surf the web, didn't text, and couldn't play music that everyone would still buy it as a fashion accessory? You really have elevated Mr. Jobs to godhood, haven't you?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345