Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I know this thread theoretically has nothing to do with multi-tasking, but just to jump in on that convo for a second:

The argument about "who does 'true' multi-tasking" is simply unimportant. From the purchasers perspective, the question is: Which OS helps ME multi-task the best?

Phrased that way, I believe WebOS is head and shoulders above the rest. The card metaphor helps you multi-task the same way laying all your projects out in piles on a large table would help you multi-task in your office. [This advantage could be multiplied greatly if the tablet version would allow 2+ stacks to be viewable at the same time in landscape mode].

WebOS haters: feel free to insert your Palm dandruff jokes here.....
    I'm sure Apotheker has more "cool" in store than rehashing the ancient "true multitasking" argument. Cards and visual multitasking are neat features, to be sure...but they are also now commodified. And no one has to provide "the truest" multitasking or "the best" multitasking" because that is but one very tiny aspect of smartphone ownership and usage amongst many.

It is these other areas in which Apotheker and HP should be trumpeting their progress. And I expect them to do exact in less than two weeks on the 9th.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm sure Apotheker has more "cool" in store than rehashing the ancient "true multitasking" argument. Cards and visual multitasking are neat features, to be sure...but they are also now commodified. And no one has to provide "the truest" multitasking or "the best" multitasking" because that is but one very tiny aspect of smartphone ownership and usage amongst many.

It is these other areas in which Apotheker and HP should be trumpeting their progress. And I expect them to do exact in less than two weeks on the 9th.
    I agree & hope you are correct. Let's face it, the Pre has had multitasking for over 18 months. We need to go beyond that. I think HP knows it as well, but doesn't want to demo stuff now when the event is only a week or two away.

Agreed! That is a geeks argument and won't move the masses. Sounds like Apotheker "gets it" and rather than descend into technical distinctions, will focus on the user experience.

In their position, the overall experience is what they need to focus on. The fight over who has the faster processor by a hundredth of a megahertz is for the guys trying to find separation at the head of the pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I know this thread theoretically has nothing to do with multi-tasking, but just to jump in on that convo for a second:

The argument about "who does 'true' multi-tasking" is simply unimportant. From the purchasers perspective, the question is: Which OS helps ME multi-task the best?

Phrased that way, I believe WebOS is head and shoulders above the rest. The card metaphor helps you multi-task the same way laying all your projects out in piles on a large table would help you multi-task in your office. [This advantage could be multiplied greatly if the tablet version would allow 2+ stacks to be viewable at the same time in landscape mode].

WebOS haters: feel free to insert your Palm dandruff jokes here.....
    As a former medical device sales rep, to play up "true multi-tasking" as an advantage is VERY important, if you believe yours is the best and real deal, note others have adopted a form of it and Apotheker is correct to make it a focal point. Its all about sales, convincing the consumer that your commodity product does something better than the competitors claim. This will be the job of HP, to do what Apple has done and that is to plant in the head of the masses, that their product is different and the best, although it is a commodity. With steller hardware and what many say is the best standalone OS on the market, HP can do big things.

My opinion on why webOS is the only phone with "true muti-tasking" is based upon the fact its not limited in the way iOS and Android are, or it doesnt need 3rd party help, ie; If we take a stock iphone 4, a stock Evo, a stock Torch, and a stock Pre 2, my question becomes can they multi-task like/better than the Pre 2?

The reason the comparison is to webOS is b/c it was the 1st OS (I think) to provide "true multi-tasking" in 2009, so they set the standard, now others have implemented a version thats not quite the same, but works for their users since many have never multi-tasked on a webOS device, so they cant compare it to anything.

Again, HP's task will be to continue to push this amongest other things to the end-users and sale them, ala what Apple has done to many....of course many android and iOS folks will bark at this, but I like the direction and aggressiveness of HP.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 01/28/2011 at 01:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by weuchsowagan View Post
    Last year HP's annual shareholder meeting was March 17th. So my guess is that March 24th is going to be shareholder meeting where Leo spells out how HP is going to be different under his leadership. If I'm right about the venue, then I think the "Vision" is going to be broad and general. I would not expect any product announcements, but it might be good for getting an idea of what to expect over the next year.
    yes!

the march 14th date is related to the new HP strategy, see more here: H-P CEO Crafts New Strategy - WSJ.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    As a former medical device sales rep, to play up "true multi-tasking" as an advantage is VERY important, if you believe yours is the best and real deal, note others have adopted a form of it and Apotheker is correct to make it a focal point. Its all about sales, convincing the consumer that your commodity product does something better than the competitors claim. This will be the job of HP, to do what Apple has done and that is to plant in the head of the masses, that their product is different and the best, although it is a commodity. With steller hardware and what many say is the best standalone OS on the market, HP can do big things.
    This ("multi-tasking") wasn't a winning strategy when Palm made a big deal out of it. And it's not going to be one now.

Think of a commercial trumpeting this running during the same half hour cable drama as an iPad commercial. The iPad commercial shows Facetime, games, the NASA app, custom iPad magazines, and the iPad being run as a guitar effects box. HP's commercial shows how you can swipe from window to window instead of hitting the home button to launch apps. Which do you think will be most effective in A) getting someone who doesn't have a tablet to buy one and B) convincing someone looking for a tablet that yours is the one to get?

Microsoft is running a HUGE ad campaign for Windows Phone 7 in the US trumpeting how it saves you steps, time, and "fumbling through a bunch of apps". yet, the US seems the be the weakest sales territory in a worldwide launch that has been average-to-decent. This just isn't a compelling message for the mainstream audience. They are more concerned with what the phone does, which is why that is all a 30-second Apple iOS consists of. Not how convenient it is to switch between things.

My opinion on why webOS is the only phone with "true muti-tasking" is based upon the fact its not limited in the way iOS and Android are, or it doesnt need 3rd party help, ie; If we take a stock iphone 4, a stock Evo, a stock Torch, and a stock Pre 2, my question becomes can they multi-task like/better than the Pre 2?
    To a fan of WebOS? Absolutely not. To someone objective, it's absolutely possible given their personal taste.

The reason the comparison is to webOS is b/c it was the 1st OS (I think) to provide "true multi-tasking" in 2009, so they set the standard, now others have implemented a version thats not quite the same, but works for their users since many have never multi-tasked on a webOS device, so they cant compare it to anything.

Again, HP's task will be to continue to push this amongest other things to the end-users and sale them, ala what Apple has done to many....of course many android and iOS folks will bark at this, but I like the direction and aggressiveness of HP.
    I think Android and iOS fans will applaud this, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingInIowa.com View Post
    I'm getting to the point that I'm excited for the possibility of the Feb 7 Sprint announcement might actually be that they ARE getting the Iphone.

At least we would have some REAL info and not speculation.

I don't think Sprint is gonna drag it on, sounds like their announcement will be about NOW!
    Not an Industry first. Whatever Sprint's announcing, it's not the iPhone
    Palm III>Sony CLIÉ S300>Sony CLIÉ N760C>Sony CLIÉ TG50 & Tapwave Zodiac 2>Handspring Treo 600>Palm Treo 700p>Palm Treo 755p>Palm Pre>FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't see how better multitasking can be an effective marketing message. If you're trying to largely go after people who haven't adopted one of the smartphone platform yet then you are talking to people who, thus far, have found no need for a smartphone. You then expect them to make their platform decision based on the best kind of multitasking available? It would be better to show them one or two great things they will be able to do with a smartphone. That's what sells smartphones. There is litttle evidence that multitasking sells smartphones.
    Guess it depends on how it's marketed. If it's just thrown out as "multi-tasking" then you're right. There's other ways to market it.

Here's a simple example:

User A "shows them one or two great things they will be able to do with a smartphone" as you suggested.
    User B responds But MyPhone does the same things
    User A sighs looks at him out of the corner of his eyes and says All at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Guess it depends on how it's marketed. If it's just thrown out as "multi-tasking" then you're right. There's other ways to market it.

Here's a simple example:

User A "shows them one or two great things they will be able to do with a smartphone" as you suggested.
    User B responds But MyPhone does the same things
    User A sighs looks at him out of the corner of his eyes and says All at the same time?
    User B would say "Yep". And they would be telling the truth. It's simply implemented differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    Was just about to post this up myself. Is definitely an interesting article. As well as the shipping soon after Feb 9th this caught my attention:

which sounds like confirmation Palm is going bye bye
    We can probably blame the US trademark office for speeding that up when they denied the "Palm Pad" trademark for there being too many related trademarks.
    User B would say "Yep". And they would be telling the truth. It's simply implemented differently.
    And then sit there waiting for an app to completely reload itself because the dev didn't implement "multitasking" into their app.
    @Mikah912. I think many here are very tecky and view things through a totally different prizm than the average user (myself), so I guess this is why there always seem to be doom/gloom no matter the news from HP or leaks.

I am not saying being tecky is a bad thing, I just think many here think toooo deep about every move made by HP, rather than allowing the plan to unfold on scheduled dates (2/9/11) to see what they have, before stating how HP is bust, etc. When I hear such strong positions without even seeing what they have planned beyond leaks/rumors, it makes me scratch my head.

Also, I dont think it makes much sense for some to continue to try and make HP the old Palm. Its a new day and we all will find out more on 2/9/11 and even more in March.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Normal people don't give a ****e about multi-tasking true or otherwise. Any campaign based around that will fail.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    And then sit there waiting for an app to completely reload itself because the dev didn't implement "multitasking" into their app.
    That's true on some apps on iOS only (Android doesn't have the same requirement).

Doesn't seem to have any impact whatsoever on its exploding fanbase and their through-the-roof customer satisfaction (which, in turn, creates word-of-mouth to get more uses).
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    @Mikah912. I think many here are very tecky and view things through a totally different prizm than the average user (myself), so I guess this is why there always seem to be doom/gloom no matter the news from HP or leaks.
    Have no idea what the one has to do with the other, frankly. This report isn't a matter of doom and gloom. My first post here was to say that I think Apotheker is going to go WAAAY beyond a demonstration of "true multitasking" to fulfill his vision of HP and WebOS being "cool". That's a great thing.

Some here, oddly enough, seem to be arguing that he need not bother.

I am not saying being tecky is a bad thing, I just think many here think toooo deep about every move made by HP, rather than allowing the plan to unfold on scheduled dates (2/9/11) to see what they have, before stating how HP is bust, etc. When I hear such strong positions without even seeing what they have planned beyond leaks/rumors, it makes me scratch my head.

Also, I dont think it makes much sense for some to continue to try and make HP the old Palm. Its a new day and we all will find out more on 2/9/11 and even more in March.
    I'm fine with allowing the plan to unfold. Again, my first post here was basically saying how I look forward to this on the 9th. But when I see people - techie or otherwise - assert that HP should make multitasking a central precept in the promotion of HP's WebOS, I scratch my head. It didn't work the first time. It's not working with Microsoft's "live tiles" right now. It's going to work if we see Jay-Z's hands swiping it now? That didn't even make their computers seem "cool".

WebOS is under new management. It should reflect that. Out with the old and in with the new, I say. That goes for every facet of this relaunch.
    What I take from that article is the CEO of HP is really excited about WebOS and thinks it's "cool". If you own or want to own a WebOS product, those are the best words you could possibly hear.

Of course words are one thing and execution is another but HP definitely has a wide range of technology that they can leverage to make WebOS a standout product that will differentiate it from all the other players. Maybe multi-tasking is a hard feature to explain/sell but cloud services that enhance the user experience is something everyone can understand.

I'm very excited for what HP will have to show us on Feb 9th, it just might be the biggest turning point in Palm's history.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What tech product do you know of that is announced, and immediately available for purchase? I don't recall any, but I suppose there could be some...
    There are some that are available a few days after announcement, not many though. For example:

iPhone 3G: Announced 9 Jun 2008, released 11 Jul 2008
    iPhone 3GS: Announced 8 Jun 2009, Released 19 Jun 2009
    iPhone 4: Announced 7 Jun 2010, Released 24 Jun 2010
    iPod (Most recent): Announced 1 Sep 2010, Released 9 Sep 2010
    Moto Droid X: Announced 23 Jun 2010, Released 14 July 2010
    Moto Droid: Announced 28 Oct 2009, Released 6 Nov 2009
    Blackberry Torch: Announced 3 Aug 2010, Released 11 Aug 2010

I'm sure there are others.
    Uh ... no, they wouldn't (they wouldn't say that). It's called marketing, not "tout your similarities", or even "truth in advertising". You emphasize your strong ponts, and emphasize your competition's weak points.

Years ago, Apple had an ad where they showed an Apple thin, simple user's manual floating neatly down on their Mac computer. Then they dropped a 3 inch thick reference manual on a PC. Was that truth in advertising? Nope, one was a user's guide, the other was a technical reference guide. Did it get their point across? Yep, their computer was easier to use than the competition's, in some areas.
    You know what??

Mr. Apotheker responded to the "cool" question with what HE thought was "cool" about WebOS: the way it is so easy to multitask, and, in his opinion, this is the way to really multitask..

WebOS encourages multitasking because of its use of cards... versus the other OS's which focus on a desktop and a launch of any single function...

In other words, iOS and Android show you everything you can do initially, so you can pick just one to work on, while WebOS shows you nothing initially, an allows you to start up and have instant access to all the applications on your screen at one time - it is an OS with a user interface that is compoeltely design around its ability to multitask, versus all others!

With enough CPU power and RAM, you can leave 10 or 15 apps that you use constantly open and just swipe back and forth on WebOS between any of them while the others are running in the background...

He says that is cool, and I agree, whole heartedly; I believe many people who already use WebOS do, as well, and many more will, once they are exposed to it, with good marketting and publicity.

The ONLY caviat was, is and always will be this:

Will the new WebOS devices be hardware proficient enough to use the WebOS multitasking to its utmost?

From the specs of the PalmPad with Qualcom 1.2 ghz preocessor and only 512 RAM, Im not so sure... because, well, it does follow that if you make a point about multitiasking, and center the whole UI around that feature, that people will use it, and then abuse it, so, RAM and CPU specs need to be head and heels above everything else.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast