Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "When I suggest that HP phones and tablet computers don't quite yet match the Apple wow factor, he grabs his assistant's HP Palm Pre phone and launches into a demonstration: "... look this is pretty cool, and [the Pre's operating system] WebOS is the only phone that can truly multi-task.""

I am liking this guy as I finish this article. With all reports saying this guy is all servers and business minded and not in mobile consumer market I thought Palm's WebOS is doomed. I am still bit sad over Palm name is finished. But I still love that WebOS have bright future
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    "It won't be an easy job. Profit margins are razor thin, innovations cycles are accelerating, and Apple still rules the roost - not in terms of volume, but in terms of public mindshare and especially in terms of market value, currently standing at $316bn, larger than Microsoft and more than triple the size of HP.

"That bothers me," says Mr Apotheker, "we are undervalued."

"Shame on us, though. I don't think HP has been telling its story as well as it could over the past few years."

Over the next couple of months, Mr Apotheker will have to come up with a pretty convincing story. It might come in handy that he's a salesman at heart."

And Salesmen we need :P. Anything that doomed Palm as brand more than cheap hardware was marketing and sales.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  3.    #23  
    What does march 14 match up with, is that world mobile conference? I don't remember hearing about this date before.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    my guess is tablets on Feb 9, phones in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It sounds like March 14th is not so much about Tablets and Phones but the entire HP vision going forward. Probably cloud stuff.
    Thats my understanding, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    What does march 14 match up with, is that world mobile conference? I don't remember hearing about this date before.
    no that's 14 to 17 feb
    ...he grabs his assistant's HP Palm Pre phone and launches into a demonstration: "... look this is pretty cool, and [the Pre's operating system] WebOS is the only phone that can truly multi-task."
    I've got a real problem with this bit. I tend to do this all the time with my Pre Plus, but I can never convincingly explain why WebOS is the only true multitasking OS when the other person rips out their IPhone or Andriod and shows me how their phone does exactly the same as mine. Let's face it, Palm phones just aren't cool, and despite my best efforts to convince people otherwise, the fact that I am the only person I know that has a Palm phone has become a running joke.

However, HP's strategy seems to be working on me. Get the existing client base to buy more HP products because they work with the other products you own. Once you have the set, the capabilities will far surpass the competition's standalone devices.

Also, make them shiny. Shiny is cool!
    They better not hold back info on the 9th for this thing.
    Think the Feb event will be webOS centric and the March event will be more HP in general.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Think the Feb event will be webOS centric and the March event will be more HP in general.
    Hey man where you been ? Glad to see ya back .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    I've got a real problem with this bit. I tend to do this all the time with my Pre Plus, but I can never convincingly explain why WebOS is the only true multitasking OS when the other person rips out their IPhone or Andriod and shows me how their phone does exactly the same as mine. Let's face it, Palm phones just aren't cool, and despite my best efforts to convince people otherwise, the fact that I am the only person I know that has a Palm phone has become a running joke.

However, HP's strategy seems to be working on me. Get the existing client base to buy more HP products because they work with the other products you own. Once you have the set, the capabilities will far surpass the competition's standalone devices.

Umm true multi tasking which lot of people don't actually understand. Try to open contacts and any other app. Scroll contacts and go to card view. You will see contacts still scrolling. Thats true multi tasking. That app is live in background. Its not paused like other mobile OS and its not just specific apps (like on iphone its only radio/music apps). There is multitasking in Android but again its not very user friendly. Switching between apps is hard task. Palm WebOS is best when compared to other mobile OS when it comes to multitasking.
    And another thing about multitasking. I can play with wifi/bluetooth radio (and do lots of other things if its rooted) while I am in any app at the top right corner. You cant do that with any other mobile OS as easily. There are lots of other things but for now this should at least give you the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    It could be ship date. HP announces in Feb, so as to slow Apple juggernaut and then announces again as products are ready in mid-March. They had said last year that they would have products ready in 1Q, mid-March is probably the latest they can ship.
    <<threads merged>>
    Here is the lead as far as I am concerned:

“I hope one day people will say ‘this is as cool as HP,’ not ‘as cool as Apple’.”
    This is as close to an official statement I have seen that HP wants to be Apple. They just can't get past the Apple fetish. Go back and read every article about the upcoming pad. Apple and iPad are used to describe it more than any other words. This was highlighted on the latest Palmcast.

There are few things more uncool than a bunch of old people who don't get it, consciously trying to be cool.
    true I hear some people say HP trying to be like Apple, but honestly to me if its in regards to products like the iphone and ipad then its a good thing. No matter what people thinks about this Android surge last year, bottom line Apple sells one model smartphone, and One model Tablet and sells billions of them, while Android needs dozens of venders to keep up. As well as most venders profits like Samsung are down, despite what they are selling running the fragmented android. To me if HP can deliver with the tablet, and smartphones and do so on all carriers (with developer support which I think will come fast) they will be able to compete with Apple at the 2 spot. They stretch much broader then Apple and Google, with more business connects then both, and if they deliver these tablets, netbooks, and smartphones correctly it will be very hard to stop HP's onslaught. So I say let the old fart have his vision of being a COOL KID, because its better then him thinking otherwise, like he did at his previous employer..
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    It could be ship date. HP announces in Feb, so as to slow Apple juggernaut and then announces again as products are ready in mid-March. They had said last year that they would have products ready in 1Q, mid-March is probably the latest they can ship.
    He said products announced on the 9th will ship "weeks later". I take that to mean less than a month.

It better be, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Here is the lead as far as I am concerned:

This is as close to an official statement I have seen that HP wants to be Apple. They just can't get past the Apple fetish. Go back and read every article about the upcoming pad. Apple and iPad are used to describe it more than any other words. This was highlighted on the latest Palmcast.

There are few things more uncool than a bunch of old people who don't get it, consciously trying to be cool.
    Dandbj13, letting you fan flag fly again. That is a statement about getting mindshare, not imitating a company. It shows that, at least in words, he is a savvy executive. His goal (as is the goal of every company in this space} is to be the best. He knows that the battle is not won merely by having a technically better product (which Palm doesn't have as of today), but having people buy into the value of your product.

The title of cool product can change widely over time. Does this product list stir any memories:

Apple Newton, Palm Pilot, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Treo (Palm again), Apple iPhone

All of these products spent some time as the premier product of their class for a certain amount of time. There are lots of arguments that can be made about which phone (including all of them) is better hardware, better application, and what features of the OS make for a better user experience.

However, the mindshare game and the associated marketshare game is more clear cut. Looking at the current leader (if Android has not taken that over yet) and saying I want to take that spot is not a fetish, it is a business goal.

Or would you rather he said "I've never even touched an iPhone"

A smart executive knows what makes his competition successful, it's the only way he can be successful.
    Last year HP's annual shareholder meeting was March 17th. So my guess is that March 24th is going to be shareholder meeting where Leo spells out how HP is going to be different under his leadership. If I'm right about the venue, then I think the "Vision" is going to be broad and general. I would not expect any product announcements, but it might be good for getting an idea of what to expect over the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Yes. The " ...product launch on 9 February will be on sale just a few weeks later." is certainly something new and exciting.
    What tech product do you know of that is announced, and immediately available for purchase? I don't recall any, but I suppose there could be some...
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post

The way I show true multitasking is by opening an app that has to do some work downloading something. For example, open up Preware and hit "Update Feeds" then go open up Angry Birds or something and mess around with it for a bit then show them that Preware is still downloading/updating as your playing. I could be wrong but believe that the "state saving" approach to multitasking can not do this. For me, rather than Preware I use my app and sync the beers drank list, but that is only because I am usually at the bar when demoing multi-tasking.

Oh, and someone please correct me if I am wrong about the multitasking in other OSs pausing the apps that are not up front. I do know there are some exceptions like music players, messaging and email, but I think that most pause.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast