View Poll Results: Is their room for Palm now?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deffo! Just like the iPhone killer before us!

18 16.67%
  • Palm have to hit a few nails but probably can do it

53 49.07%
  • They have a lot of variables to get right...I'm not convinced

30 27.78%
  • Not an icy snow ball of cream's in hells chance!

7 6.48%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I thought this thread would be dead by now, but IT LIVES! Guess I will have to take it seriously.

I agree with those who say there is no default space in a growing market. You have to earn every inch of space you get by shoving someone else out of the way. I have said many times before, I don't believe there is any such thing as a smartphone market, or a tablet market, for that matter. There is a mobile phone market, and a handheld computing market. Those are not generic markets.

People do not want a smartphone; they want an iPhone or Droid, or Berry. People do not want a tablet; they want an iPad, or... Actually, they just want an iPad. HP has to make them want a hPhone. They will not just want it because the handheld computer market is growing.

At some point, everyone will be carrying a smartphone because that will be the only kind they can get. Camera phones were the same way. The holdouts are the worst possible demographic to build a business around. They are the people who consciously did not want a smartphone. They have their reasons. They know smartphones are out there. They don't want them. These are the people you expect will happily spend top dollar on a premium product in a category they did not want? Really?

The things you will have to do to make those people happy make it not worth having them as customers. Sprint built a business on being the cheap alternative. Now, look at the heat they are catching for raising their rates to something more sustainable in this world of data guzzling devices.

The first question people around here ask about a future HP device is will it have free hotspot and tethering. If it does not, they will hack it and appropriate the services by "other" means. I can't imagine why Sprint is tired of that type of customer.

My dad was one of those smartphone holdouts for the longest time, as he didn't want to have to pay extra data fees. Will HP be giving this market of holdouts free data? How about a free phone? How about $100 in free apps? Free upgrades, please! Are you sure you wish this market on HP?

The iPhone is not successful by default. It had to earn it the hard way, cutting a path through an unimpressed media, crowds of naysayers, and outdated stereotypes. They made people want their product. People ask for it by name. You think HP will achieve that kind of success by default, just because the market is growing? A growing number of new smartphone users just means a growing number of iPhones sold.

That does not mean HP can't be successful. It does mean that there is no such thing as room in the market, as if someone were holding a spot for you, as if you have a right to be there. No such luck. The space in the market is the space you make by swinging a righteous axe with your logo on it and taking no prisoners. The question is not how much space is there, but how righteous is HP's axe.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If the smartphone market is that wide open then it's a wonder why Microsoft, Nokia, and RIM aren't doing that great. There are untold millions out there who are clamoring to sign up for a smartphone data plan, right? And, mighty Microsoft could only sell 2 million of them last quarter even with pretty positive reviews?

So, what do you think is keeping all of those consumers from switching to smartphones? Lack of choices?
    Q. Why aren't some manufacturers doing great?
    A. Microsoft had a terrible product with no app support (Win Mobile), now it has a crappy product with no app support, but with potential (Win Phone 7). Nokia has no real product, period. RIM has released terrible products, and even now very weak products with a boggy OS and limited app support.

Q. Why hasn't everybody in the United States switched to smart phones yet?
    A. Not everybody in the United States is a nerd or geek. The adoption rate for 20-29 year olds is very high, especially with geeks, but it gets progressively worse with older mobile phone users (like me). Many of the 30+ smart phone market is all about businessmen and women who have Blackberries supplied through their employer. The older generations are definitely converting though, and they're frequently amazed by what smart phones can do. Keeping up with the Jones' will be the major theme this year.
    it takes only one hit product (i.e., ipod) to bring a company out of extinction
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mateo2 View Post
    There are no $70 phones off contract and there aren't going to be for a long long time.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Since my phone cost me $140 and there are cheaper phones coming out, I think you are in for a shock. The cost of building an android handset has declined to $18. It's no surprise that the big growth last quarter was in the "other" as bottom feeders entered the market.
    The ability of players to protect margins is going to be seriously eroded in the next few years.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    No scratch that, it actually cost me $100

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    it takes only one hit product (i.e., ipod) to bring a company out of extinction
    That would look great coming out of a fortune cookie. In reality "one hit products" come about as well-thought-out, unique, well-marketed products that establish their own new markets (i.e., iPod/iTunes). One hit products don't often occur in established markets when incremental improvements and me-too features are the product's distinguishing characteristics (i.e., Pre).
    I'll make a prediction - HP didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business. I don't expect anything more than a serviceable mid-range phone this year - probably a new Pixi and an updated Pre 2 - single carrier. They won't be designed to capture the imagination of the smartphone market.
    Cool prediction... and you're pretty confident about it too.

Care to make it a bit more interesting? I'm talking about putting your money where your fingers are (since your mouth never opened typing that).

If you care for a little wager between geeky gentlemen, I'm all for it! Just tell me how much you're willing to bet and I'm sure we can find a PreCentral admin to act as a judge and fiduciary for our personal data... just so the loser doesn't try to escape into the internet's anonymity.

I'm being quite serious by the way
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    These are the people you expect will happily spend top dollar on a premium product in a category they did not want? Really?
    Is it that implausible to suggest that the current minimal offerings, ie you have 1 iPhone... Currently 1 real android (HTC slate device) and one blackberry (curve) ... Don't offer everything consumers are looking for? These holdouts may just be waiting for something better that those three choices! If you think that the smartphone Market is diverse, I think if you begin to look at it subjectively you see it's only just starting, and so called holdouts, may be avid smartphone users of the futur, but CURRENTLY have no reason to switch! Not because they're cheap, but because they don't like the current 3/4 offered!

So yeh, I think that a business model aimed at the majority of the handset market wouldn't be a bad CONSIDERATION! HTC, Apple and RIM own that Market, and if HP just release a HTC iPhone clone, they will be scrapping for left overs, if the compel feature phone users to adopt a smartphone, they will still be scrapping for smartphone leftovers, but will also be accessing a juicy 70% handheld Market share!
    words
    Not so convinced after all, eh? Of course, bashing anything webOS-related at every corner is *not* a redundant waste of bandwidth to you. And neither seems making "predictions" you immediately shy away from.

A real bummer. I could've used your money to buy myself something cool in a couple weeks.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 01/29/2011 at 07:39 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12