1.    #1  
    The Bad: All companies hate leaks, unless they are controlled, since uncontrlled leaks can steal thunder, etc.

The Good: The only folks who even pay attention to these leaks are tech geeks and tech media outlets. I dont think the average consumer and/or carrier sales reps have a clue about the information provided on PreCentral, Engadget, etc.

So, 2/9/11 will still be a HUGE day for HP webOS and its devices!
    I think leaks are good for drumming up some hype/excitement in the tech world. But won't it be the same group that will be paying attention on 2/9/11? The average consumer won't care until they see it on TV, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    The average consumer won't care until they see it on TV...
    ...or in the store...or in use by another person at Starbucks...or a friend shows it to them...or it's made by Apple 'cause apparently they can do no wrong.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I guess that's the point of a show like this: to get the attention of the general media, who will pass the message on to average consumer.
    I just wish we could get some leaks on the phones & carriers. The Topaz looks awesome (based on leaks,) but I really want an upgrade to my Sprint Pre+!
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I just wish we could get some leaks on the phones & carriers. The Topaz looks awesome (based on leaks,) but I really want an upgrade to my Sprint Pre+!
    There may still be some hope of this left for you. Simply assume that not everything got leaked and maybe you'll see some phone info on the 9th. I don't think there is any reason to assume the leak showed "everything".
    I need phone action myself !!! And these leaks did not start off controlled . They were leaked by an employee and HP is trying to find the source as we speak . Read up onit over at webOS roundup .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    My gut tells me these leaks are intentional to get the audience excited for Feb. Even the poem that HP blogged mentioned leaks.

I think when we see the actual products, 1/2 of the leaked info will be true and the other 1/2 was meant to throw the interested readers into discussions like this one!
    It's always hard to tell how accurate leaked info will be. I think it has been good for our community, and outside of us I don't think many have noticed. It should be good for HP still!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    cant leak anything if you have nothing.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I think leaks are good for drumming up some hype/excitement in the tech world. But won't it be the same group that will be paying attention on 2/9/11? The average consumer won't care until they see it on TV, no?
    On/after 2/9/11 there will no longer be rumors or leaks about what HP will discuss/show on 2/9/11, therefore everything will be public and you will see things shown across various networks, including the likes of WSJ, NY Times, CNBC, FOX News (Clayton Morris), MSNBC, etc. Other than a blog by Clayton the tech geek, non of these major media outlets have covered anything concerning these leaks, so it will be a totally different group that will pickup coverage.

Again, once the devices and the coverage from 2/9/11 is on tv, it will no longer be classified as a leak/rumor. According to webOS Roundup, it appears these are not controlled leaks, but HP will still be just fine in making the splash they are planning.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 01/26/2011 at 07:01 PM.
    and HP did say that all the leaks were nothing compared to what they are going to release !!! dont forget that !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    and HP did say that all the leaks were nothing compared to what they are going to release !!! dont forget that !!
    True, best case is to have leaks that get people exited, but still have more to release.... Better specs, other form factors, etc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Before the leaks: "they're not leaking anything because there's nothing to leak! The world is ending! I'll jump ship! Palm will only show the Pre 2 at their event! Just show us ANYTHING at this point!"

After the leaks: "this is the boring old hardware we saw leaked a month ago, and it didn't get any better! And there have been 25 new android devices since then! How are they hoping to get any excitement about webOS like this?"
    I think HP was so tight-lipped until recently that some leaks were a welcome relief to those who have been waiting.

My Themes:CLICK HERE