Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I hope it's there. Apple and Google are pushing for this; I hope HP/Palm gets in on it, too. This is technology that should've been in our phones 10 years ago!
  2. #2  
    Could be neat; just not sure it is practical yet


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  3. #3  
    It's already easy enough for thieves to steal your credit card info. I think this would make it that much easier. I'll pass. Carrying around a credit card can't be much easier.
  4. #4  
    good idea if it does not sacrifice security just for convenience!

    I am pretty upset at my bank which has forced contactless band cards which needs no pin and very "convenient" for users and thieves. Though only for <15 transactions.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Could be neat; just not sure it is practical yet
    It will be if iphone 5 has it. It will definitely be in 2-3 years if not sooner.

    Google realized this and put it in the nexus s to future proof it.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  6. #6  
    I really want them to have it. If for no other reason than to signal webos products can do it all. If you are worried about security, just don't use it.

    NFC just really needs to get to scale to be more attractive for places to accept it.

    I'd love to be able to just grab my phone while I go out and about. Forget my wallet? At least I remembered my phone. Headed into a shady part of town, just grab your ID and phone.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by runsweetlew View Post
    I really want them to have it. If for no other reason than to signal webos products can do it all. If you are worried about security, just don't use it.

    NFC just really needs to get to scale to be more attractive for places to accept it.

    I'd love to be able to just grab my phone while I go out and about. Forget my wallet? At least I remembered my phone. Headed into a shady part of town, just grab your ID and phone.
    town must not be too shady if they arent stealing your phone!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    town must not be too shady if they arent stealing your phone!
    Yeah, thats why you install a tracking app!
  9. #9  
    And thats were HP's newest feature kicks in "literally "
    The device runs to a safe place and emails you a map

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    And thats were HP's newest feature kicks in "literally "
    The device runs to a safe place and emails you a map
    ROFL

    Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  11. #11  
    I believe they will only be AFC compatible... NFC fans are out of luck
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I believe they will only be AFC compatible... NFC fans are out of luck


    haaaaaaaa. ive been wondering how long it would take for someone to crack an nfl joke towards this near field shenannigans +1 my friend, +1...
  13. bnceo's Avatar
    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    #13  
    Could be cool.
  14. #14  
    I posted this in a thread sometime back. I think that one thing that Apple has done well is skate to where the puck is heading, not to where it's at right now. It enables them to have first mover status and be deemed "cool" by all of the media pundits because they create a need where there wasn't one previously. If Apokher (sp?) wants HP to be considered cool, they would have this capability in their new devices, sign partnerships for app developments with Starbucks, Target, or whomever and literally create a new ecosystem overnight.

    For those individuals who are concerned about security, you don't have to use the app.

    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I agree for the most part with all of the comments specified above but I didn't see anyone mention this and I believe that the first phone that has an NFC chip along with the appropriate software/partnerships will kill. See links below if you're not aware of the functionality that an NFC chip can provide.



    Samsung Nexus S utilizing NXP's PN544 NFC chip -- Engadget



  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I posted this in a thread sometime back. I think that one thing that Apple has done well is skate to where the puck is heading, not to where it's at right now. It enables them to have first mover status and be deemed "cool" by all of the media pundits because they create a need where there wasn't one previously. If Apokher (sp?) wants HP to be considered cool, they would have this capability in their new devices, sign partnerships for app developments with Starbucks, Target, or whomever and literally create a new ecosystem overnight.

    For those individuals who are concerned about security, you don't have to use the app.
    Well I agree in part. However, El Goog has skated to where the puck is by putting in the Nexus S. The majority of the tech media such as All Things D haven't commented on Google doing this or made a small mention about it.

    Where you're correct is that when APPLE does it everyone will make a huge deal of it like it is revolutionary. And then the market will move a little faster to adopt NFC.

    However, folks like Visa have started on this path. I can possibly see HP putting NFC in their higher end devices as the year progresses, but even the majority of the new crop of Android phones being released over the next several months don't have it.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  16. #16  
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I posted this in a thread sometime back. I think that one thing that Apple has done well is skate to where the puck is heading, not to where it's at right now. It enables them to have first mover status and be deemed "cool" by all of the media pundits because they create a need where there wasn't one previously. If Apokher (sp?) wants HP to be considered cool, they would have this capability in their new devices, sign partnerships for app developments with Starbucks, Target, or whomever and literally create a new ecosystem overnight.

    For those individuals who are concerned about security, you don't have to use the app.
    I think you are are misunderstanding what Apple does. Apple can do anything it wants, and because they are Apple, it creates a trend and a standard.
  18. #18  
    I think it is not up to the phone manufacturers, but up to the carriers to implement this technology.
  19. #19  
    Good feedback!! That's why in my comments I also mentioned that they must also announce agreements/apps with major players so that people now have something to do with their shiny new NFC chip.

    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Well I agree in part. However, El Goog has skated to where the puck is by putting in the Nexus S. The majority of the tech media such as All Things D haven't commented on Google doing this or made a small mention about it.

    Where you're correct is that when APPLE does it everyone will make a huge deal of it like it is revolutionary. And then the market will move a little faster to adopt NFC.

    However, folks like Visa have started on this path. I can possibly see HP putting NFC in their higher end devices as the year progresses, but even the majority of the new crop of Android phones being released over the next several months don't have it.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  20. #20  
    Yeah, like Apple TV. Trust me, I'm not drinking their kool-aid, but I will give them credit when it's due. My point is that if HP wants to make a splash and be deemed "cool" then they can't just do me to type stuff, they need to create new paridigms and then use their distribution might, balance sheet, and influence to create new markets where possible.

    While HP wants to be cool, I don't think that their in this for filling a niche/scratch. I believe that they're looking to create a ubiquitious ecosystem that has a scope and breadth that few can touch (servers, phones, enterprise and end-user, printers, etc.) all able to communicate and share information with one another in the CLOUD. Sounds like a nice dream doesn't it. We'll all see on the 9th won't we.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I think you are are misunderstanding what Apple does. Apple can do anything it wants, and because they are Apple, it creates a trend and a standard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions