Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I remember that the HP webOS tablets are going to have 1.2 ghz processors. Do you think one of them (the topaz?? - the one released later) is going to use the newly engadgeted processors

1.2GHz Tegra 2 3D chips suggested by leaked slide, coming 'spring 2011' -- Engadget
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Don't think so because its rumored that at least the topaz will be released in June. These new chips wont be ready until earliest spring 2011.
    Then it could be available for the Topaz, if the Topaz will be released in June and the new chips won't be ready until spring 2011. June will be in summer 2011, which comes after spring 2011, so...
    Palm uses TI OMAP processors and the topaz tablet is rumoured to get the omap 4 440, which is better than the tegra 2 3d chips in case of pure clocking (up to 1,5 GHz).
    I doubt you will see those for the tablets. Palm will probably stick with what they have, though seeing those dual-core processors will probably be for the next wave of palm devices hopefully.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Palm uses TI OMAP processors and the topaz tablet is rumoured to get the omap 4 440, which is better than the tegra 2 3d chips in case of pure clocking (up to 1,5 GHz).
    dual core 1.2 would perform WAY better than a single core 1.5gHz chip
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Dual Core OMAP4 chips exist.

I wish TI was investing more money into marketing and less into engineering, just like everyone else does. "whoa hummingbird!" "it's a SNAPDRAGON!!!" "tegras man, tegras". "what's an O-MAP? I only know Google-Maps".
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    dual core 1.2 would perform WAY better than a single core 1.5gHz chip
    OMAP 4 440 is a dual-core (2x 1.5 GHz) processor...

it seems to be downclocked to 1.2 GHz (as it was with the Pre before).
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I guess were missing the entire 3D aspect of these chips which the OMAP doesn't have...

And since were on the subject of Tegra lets look @ the leaked Tegra roadmap shall we....

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....24n73vtegr.jpg

Tegra 3 "Quad Core" for phones and tablets

TI OMAP who????
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Dual Core OMAP4 chips exist.

I wish TI was investing more money into marketing and less into engineering, just like everyone else does. "whoa hummingbird!" "it's a SNAPDRAGON!!!" "tegras man, tegras". "what's an O-MAP? I only know Google-Maps".
    I couldn't disagree more. I am happy that engineering is their focus. 99% of smartphone buyers can't tell you the chip their phone is using, or the difference between snapdragon and hummingbird. Sure, we can because we're tech nerds, but not the public. They MIGHT know the speed of their chip from advertising, but even that is coming from the phone manufacturer or cell company.

Let TI develop amazing chips and let Palm advertise and market them as a function of the phone.
    I also think that they should use the OMAP 4430. The 4430 is currently being sampled, possibly in production by now also. They're also capable of 720p stereoscopic 3d. If I'm not misremembering I think the 4000 series chips are very closely compatible with the 3000 series chips, meaning optimization of the OS for new and old devices will be easier and faster. Moving to the Tegra platform will mean fragmentation of the OS for optimization, either making OS releases come less frequently or make OS releases take longer to reach the older devices.