1.    #1  
    It's funny I searched but couldn't find a filing for HP webOS, just palm webOS.

Maybe it's due to my ignorance , but how can HP rebrand webOS as HP webOs w/o a trademark filing?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    No one else has a trademark filing on it, so they could rebrand to it.

They own the HP trademark.

They own the WebOS trademark.

I'm no patent & trademark lawyer, but I'm thinking they're pretty well covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  4.    #4  
    no they own the palm webOS trademark

not webOS
    and they have the right to change that trademark to whatever they want without filing a patent because they hold the patent on webOS . all they have to do is make sure no one has a patent on the name they choose . all they are changing is the first part of the name, then its just a matter of legally changing the name on the patent through lawyers , i believe .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6.    #6  
    patent and trademarks are different.. so im not sure what is being said ... lol lol lol ltm ltm ltm
    im sorry you dont get it lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    seeing that HP owns the trademark , then they have the right to change the trademark to whatever they wish to change it to. thats what i said basically !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    It's just like Windows. They didn't trademark "Microsoft Windows"... Microsoft is the owner of the trademark "Windows". There was just a big discussion about this when Microsoft fied suit to preempt any effort by Apple to trademark the term App Store.
    Palm Trademarks & Brand Identity | Palm USA

Example:
    Trademark Attribution Blocks

In order to protect Palm's valuable intellectual property rights, all publicly distributed communications mentioning Palm Trademarks should include an attribution block. Communications containing many Palm Trademarks should follow the long-form format:
    Palm, Treo, Pre, webOS, Centro, Treo Pro, Blazer and AddIt are trademarks of Palm, Inc.
    webOS is a trademark of Palm, Inc.

Palm, Inc. is a fully-owned subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard Company.

Don't see any problem with HP using a trademark they bought alongside the company that introduced it.
  12.    #12  
    Ok so in lieu of recent news... back on topic
    Ya, I don't see why, if HP owns Palm, they aren't allowed to use the name "PalmPad" because it is too similar to the already filed "Palm" trademark. HP owns Palm, they should be able to use the Palm name however they want, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Ok so in lieu of recent news... back on topic
    In view of, in light of, in the context of...

Anyway, because of recent news, let's get creative (in a positive way to avoid flames) and help HP come up with new names.

http://www.precentral.net/uspto-reje...tober#comments

palm|pad
    iPalmPad
    PalmSlate
    iSlate
    PrePad
    webO'Pad
    PalmPreXL
    PadFromPalm
    H/PalmPad
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Ya, I don't see why, if HP owns Palm, they aren't allowed to use the name "PalmPad" because it is too similar to the already filed "Palm" trademark. HP owns Palm, they should be able to use the Palm name however they want, no?
    The issue is that "Palm" isn't a trademark in the sense of referring a product name, Palm is a brand. And it's the name of the company that owns trademarks such as "webOS" and "Pre".

So I understand what the trademark people are saying, I just think they are stupid. We all need to send them a flood of email pointing out other trademarks that use the same type of syntax.

They can start with PalmOS. Palm doesn't own that any more, but it was a valid trademark granted to Palm...

Any other examples you guys can think of?
  16.    #16  
    but my Orig question still remains... how can Hp just rename webOS from palm WebOS to HP webOS without a trademark filing.. seems to me they realize that it would get denied, after that palmPad rejection
    A trademark filing only says that no one else can use that name for anything else . Or insignia

ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη