Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....08-29-2010.jpg

IMO this image was forgotten waaaay too quickly. After this why was it even a question that a tablet was coming and a phone in the works? And by that logic, why was there never any real talk about the third omission in this picture?

Personally, I think a webOS connected watch is part of 'think beyond'. If done correctly it would be just the right combo of gimicky & useful to really stick in peoples minds (with the right advertising of course). I, for one, have no real interest in another large-screen device that duplicates the existing functionality of what I already own, so something for the rest of us like this would be right up my alley.

So what do you think? Will we be seeing the likes of such a device come feb 9th? Is there a market out there? What would be a smart price point? How could they advertise it? etc..
    For the sake of discussion, Let's assume there is a watch. If the only thing said watch did was vibrate when a call or SMS came in, and displayed the time, I'd be happy.

If palm does indeed have a watch, I think it will be more like the current iPod nano, just paired with your phone/tablet, and actually BE a watch.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    so it's a rip-off of the SE liveview?
    I don't think the world is ready for these types od watches. The smartphone thing is still catching on. However, there are some of us who have been ready for this since the day we were born........ I'm just saying.........

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    i definitely think they will be showing a watch... and i'd be satisfied if it just gave you a quick look at current notifications from the phone.
    I think that the watch will be the "smallest smartphone ever" they have been letting on, and that it will become an enormous failure, because, as the tr*lls will say, who wants a tiny smartphone when the market clearly wants big ones. It's going to connect to your PalmPad and other webOS devices though and do all sorts of nifty stuff beyond just displaying notifications. Just nobody will care because it's a total joke to wear a wristwatch in this day and age, especially if it's a phone. Especially if that phone has a tiny screen. Who cares to lug around an extra tablet just to do stuff you can't do on that "smartphone" (lulz) dumbwatch?

People will still want iPod nanos as watches though, because who doesn't want a cool watch, and when Apple releases the iPhone nano as a wristwatch in a couple of years, and allows it to interact with your iPad, it's gonna be a revolution - your pocket iPhone will be replaced by the nano just like when pocketwatches (pocketphones) were replaced by wristwatches (wristphones). You'll have all the space in your pocket just free, and whenever you want to do stuff on a bigger screen, just use your iPad!

I am seriously seeing this coming.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    I think some of you are being too dismissive too quickly. I think this watch would be awesome. SE live view has yo integrate with 200 different android phones, and bezel actions are dumb. The amount of vertical integration HP can provide between phone, tablet, netbook erik new awesome. If under 500 I would buy one on release date
    This has been my ideal situation. A watch which is "the smallest smartphone" with most functionality of my Pre. Bluetooth headset for talking on, and FreeTether for a wifi tablet. it would be perfect for my needs.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    If this is true, which would be awesome, I hope it would chew up the battery.. I feel like it would.
    Never said I really thought that out... Car battery backpack???
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    There are several Bluetooth wrist devices that display, ring vibrators, speakers and digital time display functions that work with smartphones. It is not too bid of a push to get more functions included on a wrist device.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    What if all of the rumors about "10's of gigabytes of cloud storage" were all of the mark, and the watch is really just a 32GB bluetooth storage device that can be transparently tapped by the phone, pad, and even Windoze PC's? You'll always have your files with you in the watch, even if you are in a location with no Internet connection.

Personally, I'm more interested in that thing that looks like a brain wave sensor on the right side of the picture, and am wondering if what was under the blacked-out watch location wasn't really just some sort of carpal tunnel stress sensor and not a webOS device at all.....
    A "webos" watch makes no sense.

Some of the biggest strengths of webos don't work on a watch form factor.

A watch with a BT connection that can vibrate or otherwise give small hints of SMS or message or show an incoming phone number - that might be a cute/cool feature. But a full blown OS stack like webos would be massive overkill for that.

There will be no "webos" watch - beyond or otherwise.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    A "webos" watch makes no sense.

Some of the biggest strengths of webos don't work on a watch form factor.

A watch with a BT connection that can vibrate or otherwise give small hints of SMS or message or show an incoming phone number - that might be a cute/cool feature. But a full blown OS stack like webos would be massive overkill for that.

There will be no "webos" watch - beyond or otherwise.
    it doesn't have to be a 'full blown OS stack', it just has to be able to communicate and sync with the full blown devices and relay the info, just like the old PalmOS watch...
    And what if the watch uses HP's flexible screen technology? What if nearly the entire band is a screen?
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I think you will just pair it with ur phone, and receive alerts for texts, calls, calendar alerts, throughout the day.
    I actually would be thrilled if the watch acted as a hub, and was your phone (with bluetooth headset), while the tablet was your display for other smartphone needs.
    I don't want it in a watch, I want it built into a bluetooth headset taht uses a PalmPad for the display and keyboard... If I had good enough voice dial and voice search, that would be awesome...
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    I think you will just pair it with ur phone, and receive alerts for texts, calls, calendar alerts, throughout the day.
    this, but with voice integration. you can make calls, respond to txts, set calender dates, and record memos all from your wrist that syncs to your phone/pad/netbook.

that would be cool.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The problem with this, you'd have to wear it instead of your watch and you'd sure look a nerd. I can't see this type of device being too conductive to attracting the ladies (or the men depending on your preference).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast