Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It doesn't exist as anything but a business unit that's not a definition of business success in anyway. When I was using Palm OS devices and went from PDA to PDA and then to Treos, Palm was the innovator for people to catch, then for various reasons (which aren't germane to this conversation) it all went to ****. It's not even clear if the Palm name will be used at all past the 9th of Feb.

So if people think going from much copied Market Leader and innovator to becoming an absorbed business unit is anything else but failure then I have a bridge to sell them.
    This is exactly the pessimistic attitude alluded to in the hparson's post. I don't give stuff about business plans etc. My measure of success will be the success of webOS, and as far as I am concerned the future is looking rosy.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This is exactly the pessimistic attitude alluded to in the hparson's post. I don't give stuff about business plans etc. My measure of success will be the success of webOS, and as far as I am concerned the future is looking rosy.

And I'm the other way, I'm interested in the overall picture and the movement of markets rather than individual products - it's all plastic tat at the end of the day (be it android, Apple or whatever) so that's where the interest is for me. As for Pessimistic or optimistic attitudes, I have no interest in being a cheer-leader for any company I don't own or have some stake in, it makes no sense to me.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    My brother has been working at Sprint for some time now. It is true, although reps are working at the store they are left in the dark until about 1-2 weeks before launch date (when they are trained on the phone). When the Palm Pre first came out we both got it on launch day. He went on to the Evo I still have the Palm. If it werenít for Preware and the over clocking/patches I would have been gone a long time ago.

Like other comments have said, "Sprint is not getting another HPalm phone." My brother told me this a while back. He said, fact, that the Pre is the most troublesome phone that they had in their lineup. On an average he had at least 5 people/day come in with problems dealing with hardware. Thus leading to customer service issues. In some cases it was software but not much. I have had the Pre and only had it replaced (insurance) because I dropped and cracked the screen. Completely my fault.

The fact is when you look at the numbers Palm didnít make a major impression with Sprint. Compared to other options like Android and possibly landing the Iphone, why would Sprint go back to HPalm. I would really love a new HPalm phone because Iím kind of bored of the Pre but from a company stand point there are better options for return on investment.

WebOS only has 1-2% market share it would be like trying to squeeze a dollar out of penny from a company stand point. They would have to work extra hard at targeting such a small portion of the market. Sprint is thinking letís try to deal with BB, Android, and possibly in the future IOS which all hold a much higher market share. This way targeting customers will be easier. FYI I hate Apple.

On an ending note, I hope Sprint does get a new WebOS device for us loyal tech enthusiasts. And I really donít like how HP is killing off the Palm name, what gives. Palm is great name, has a long history, and known for being creative.
    ..., I have no interest in being a cheer-leader for any company I don't own or have some stake in, it makes no sense to me.
    But some interest in being a cheer-leader against by the sound of it.
    Can't wait till sprint gets the new HPalm phone !!!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by omi205 View Post
    WebOS only has 1-2% market share it would be like trying to squeeze a dollar out of penny from a company stand point. They would have to work extra hard at targeting such a small portion of the market. Sprint is thinking letís try to deal with BB, Android, and possibly in the future IOS which all hold a much higher market share. This way targeting customers will be easier. FYI I hate Apple.
    I disagree with this a bit.

What is coming from HPalm this year is, in just about every way, a total relaunch of WebOS. Sprint would not be supporting a small marketshare by selling the new WebOS devices - they would be supporting the launch of a whole new thing.

I believe it all comes down to the communication that's gone on between HP and Sprint. If HP went to Sprint and laid out just how much money they are going to be pumping into advertising and marketing WebOS (so Sprint doesn't have to) - Sprint will likely decide what to do based on that.

Sprint would be stupid to turn down carrying a phone with 100's of millions of dollars being spent on marketing. I'm not saying they even got that offer, but they would be insane to snub their noses at it.
    I promise you . Sprint is backing the new webOS phone coming out . I don't know the deals or plans but it's going to happen .

ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I promise you . Sprint is backing the new webOS phone coming out . I don't know the deals or plans but it's going to happen .

that would be awesome cuz im on my 6th pre, waiting for a new handheld, and my power button is going on my current, and i dont want to switch to anything besides webos... webos FTW!!
    I'm afraid the vertical slider I've been accustomed to using will no longer be an offered form factor from Sprint
    Pet peeve slider: On

Could we please (pretty please?!?) refrain from using "HPalm" to refer to HP Palm? Is it really so hard to type those extra couple of characters?

Pet peeve slider: Off
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Dude, the demise of palm actually happened! it failed.
    Really? You're sure? Seems they were bought out, and the last official word I heard was that there is still a Plam division that's working on phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I'm afraid the vertical slider I've been accustomed to using will no longer be an offered form factor from Sprint
    I'm hoping the vertical slider will catch on. BlackBerry Torch and Dell Venue Pro have tried it after the Pre, so maybe will shall see another version coming our way from HP Palm.
    I like meeting new friends, follow me on twitter->

that_maynard
    <<thread cleaned>>

Please stay on-topic - thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by that_maynard View Post
    I'm hoping the vertical slider will catch on. BlackBerry Torch and Dell Venue Pro have tried it after the Pre, so maybe will shall see another version coming our way from HP Palm.
    I think the Venue Pro is the best form factor going right now: good portrait keyboard + 4.1" screen (which I think is just about the perfect size for a smartphone). That gives a nice, tight physical keyboard for portrait mode (where it's most needed) and plenty of real estate for a virtual landscape keyboard.

A webOS device in that form factor would make me very, very happy.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12